Thread: Historical Records of Rainfall?

Default Historical Records of Rainfall?

I've been trying to track down the rainfall history in SC, and specifically for what I thought I remembered as September, 1995, when we had about 14" of rain in the Upstate over a couple day period. I found this site, but my memory must be faulty as I haven't located the date(s) yet.

https://www.almanac.com/weather/hist...697/1995-10-01

I'm trying to compare that historical rain where the creek out back overflowed the banks (6'-8' rise to top the banks) and flooded a few acres out back, to this past week where we had about 5-6" of rain in one day and had the same level of flooding for the first time in 25 years.

We're trying to figure out if the new bridge 1/2 mile downstream caused more backup than the old design bridge, or are the rainfalls over an equal amount of time pretty much equal.

Does anyone remember the dates of that 14"-15" rainfall?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I've been trying to track down the rainfall history in SC, and specifically for what I thought I remembered as September, 1995, when we had about 14" of rain in the Upstate over a couple day period. I found this site, but my memory must be faulty as I haven't located the date(s) yet.

https://www.almanac.com/weather/hist...697/1995-10-01

I'm trying to compare that historical rain where the creek out back overflowed the banks (6'-8' rise to top the banks) and flooded a few acres out back, to this past week where we had about 5-6" of rain in one day and had the same level of flooding for the first time in 25 years.

We're trying to figure out if the new bridge 1/2 mile downstream caused more backup than the old design bridge, or are the rainfalls over an equal amount of time pretty much equal.

Does anyone remember the dates of that 14"-15" rainfall?
    I would think as you figure up your data, you need to consider rains prior to the big rain events. If either event had been dry prior to the big rain event, it could skew your results I would think.

Sorry I dont remember what year it was that we had that much rain.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I would think as you figure up your data, you need to consider rains prior to the big rain events. If either event had been dry prior to the big rain event, it could skew your results I would think.

Sorry I dont remember what year it was that we had that much rain.
    I'm pretty darn sure it was 1995, the year after we built and moved in to this house.

I understand what you're saying. I think I recall that 1995 was similar to what we've seen these past few months, but can't say.

I was able to confirm, via the SCDNR Climate Records info, that the key difference was that in 1995 the rain record of "12.81" inches was the record for a 24 hour period, whereas last week we had about 5.5" in less than 24 hours. However, when you add the previous and following day we probably had another 2-3 inches or so in '95, which would be why I keep remembering a 14-15" rainfall.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-10-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Call the DNR Climate Office.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Unless I'm missing something, they say their information is only available for six months.

I can find it by day and year via the 'almanac' site I listed above, but I'm still clicking through the days and both my wife and I must have the year wrong, although I'd swear it was carved into my memory since we had to hunt downstream for two new duck boxes I'd just put up that Summer after we'd moved in.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Call the DNR Climate Office.
    That appears to offer the data, just had the wrong month...

"Anderson (County) Pelzer 12.81" Aug. 27, 1995"
    Thanks, DRDUCK.
    ~ George Washington

Could this be it???

The year and inches of rain you mentioned add up

https://apnews.com/86a000c5c7762c697433fa546c875396

Yep i believe it was Huricanator Jerry that you are remembering

We had another hell of a September/ October with a few hurricanes stacked on top of each other. I believe that was 2002???

Woodie I remember that event. It washed out bridges all over the upstate. The Simpsonville area was hit pretty hard with bridges washing out from town almost to woodruff road. The second event in the 2000s was a summer with several hurricanes and tropical storms. That year we had so much rain that the trout streams in Pickens county were running very low 60s through the hottest part of summer, basically unheard of these days.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles