Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9MM 1911 Experiences and suggestions...

Default 9MM 1911 Experiences and suggestions...

Lets dispel all the "1911s are only supposed to be 45ACP" and the "Get a Glock" stuff....I multiples of both. I am not interested in any striker action guns as I prefer the crisp trigger of SA guns.

This is specifically going to be a target gun for steel or other practical style matches. I have been shooting some wheel gun division stuff over the past few years and there are some other matches offered that line up with my schedule a little better.

Without getting into 4-5k for a full custom STI Nighthawk, Wilson, or other equivalent, I am looking for something to focus on running a fairly high number of rounds through and appreciate the cost and recoil savings of 9mm as opposed to 45. I am looking at the following: Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander, Sig Sauer 1911 Match Elite, Smith & Wesson SW1911 Pro Series, and Springfield Armory Range Officer Operator. Also tossing around a Rock Island offering as well. Admittedly, I am a huge Ruger and Smith fan but mainly because of my affinity for their wheel guns. That being said, the Smith seems to fit "me" the best, followed by the Springfield. No discernible difference in the the targets downrange.

Anybody have significant time behind any of these? Comments, thoughts, concerns?

IMO, don't discount the CZ 75...

Lots of models to choose from, they can have great SA triggers(as good as 1911), high capacity, affordable, available, and GREAT reliability.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I bought my wife a Kimber, it's a sweet shooting gun for sure.

For what you’re looking for, Rock island 2011 end thread

DW PM-9

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    For what you’re looking for, Rock island 2011 end thread
    2011 is an STI gun? Or are you just speaking generically about a double stack style 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
    DW PM-9
    I like those alot, but they are discontinued...have to be on the secondary market

Generically about the double stack 1911 style. The rock island probably meets what your looking for in function and price point

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    Generically about the double stack 1911 style. The rock island probably meets what your looking for in function and price point
    Y'all are going to make me go into ATP Gun Shop....I'm not tacti-cool enough to shop there.

They seem to be the only Armcor dealer in the Chas area...

I have the Springfield range officer you spoke of. It's a very solid gun, and fun to shoot. It loves Blazer ammo.

Decide what game you want to play first and that will decide what you buy.
    USPSA single stack, IDPA have 10 round limits. No need for a double stack.
    USPSA Limited and 3 Gun is where you would want a double stack. You will be severely handicapped in USPSA Limited because 9mm is a minor caliber with minor scoring. Not a problem if you just want to play and don’t really care about the score. Most 3 gun doesn’t score major / minor.
    Double stack: STI or CZ The single action CZ competition guns are probably the best out of the box pistol I’ve ever shot. Their triggers are phenomenal. The STI will need some work. IF you can find one of the Para USA Pro custom guns that came out of NC , they are excellent guns. I’ve got one that’s been tuned up and it’s as good as anything I’ve shot. Damn shame they got bought out then shitcanned in the Remington debacle. If I didn’t have several hundred dollars invested in Para mags I’d buy the CZ below.
    Single stack: Springfield and send it to a good pistol smith.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-tactical-sport-orange/
    Last edited by FLS; 02-10-2020 at 05:17 PM.

If you are going single stack, I'd get the Springfield Armory Range Officer and not look back. I've been using mine in competition the last four years. I have a Kart barrel to put in it, but haven't yet because it just doesn't seem to need it - it shoots better than I can hold it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have the 9mm Range Officer and a Sig TME in 38 Super. The Sig has a closer slide to frame fit. They both have been 100% reliable. I prefer the 38 Super. The Range Officer has a lock built into the mainspring housing. I changed mine to a traditional 1911 mainspring housing and used Wolff springs. The trigger is better now.

I’m no comp target shooter but love my Springfield 1911. I have the .45 though in the Loaded model.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I liked the Springfield as well, but basically had them at the bottom of the list due to political policy/choices. May have to move them up the list...

Are the various custom shop offerings worth it or am I better off taking it to my local Smith and having some trigger work and polishing done?

Have a guy that has done some very good trigger work over the years on some match 686s and a few Pythons/Officer Match guns.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 02-10-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Look at Novak's customs, Wayne has been doing them since '77, and he's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Decide what game you want to play first and that will decide what you buy.
    USPSA single stack, IDPA have 10 round limits. No need for a double stack.
    USPSA Limited and 3 Gun is where you would want a double stack. You will be severely handicapped in USPSA Limited because 9mm is a minor caliber with minor scoring. Not a problem if you just want to play and don’t really care about the score. Most 3 gun doesn’t score major / minor.
    Double stack: STI or CZ The single action CZ competition guns are probably the best out of the box pistol I’ve ever shot. Their triggers are phenomenal. The STI will need some work. IF you can find one of the Para USA Pro custom guns that came out of NC , they are excellent guns. I’ve got one that’s been tuned up and it’s as good as anything I’ve shot. Damn shame they got bought out then shitcanned in the Remington debacle. If I didn’t have several hundred dollars invested in Para mags I’d buy the CZ below.
    Single stack: Springfield and send it to a good pistol smith.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-tactical-sport-orange/
    Appreciate all the information. I am hoping to shoot several things with it...I would like to work it into my second stage of Bullseye 2700 to replace the .38 Super I currently shoot(ammo is getting harder and harder to find and it is higher than jet smoke when you can find it). I would shoot some USPSA Steel Challenge and maybe an IDPA match here or there with it as well, when I don't feel like running in the revolver classes, and then just shooting steel with it on my own once or twice a week. Single stack is all I need and would prefer it since I will be transitioning from the it to the Colt in the third stage of Bullseye. I have tried shooting a Glock 34 as my 2nd stage gun and the trigger is just too different for me to put in-between the match triggers of the Ruger and then the Colt. It takes me well into the second round to get accustomed to the trigger slop and creep. Then it takes me some time into the third round going back to the 1911. I shoot the 34 very well if I train with it but it doesn't mix well with my other setups. I suppose I am just too stubborn to put the time into shooting the striker fire pistols well, and prefer to shoot 1911s and revolvers anyway.

I put over 20K rounds through my CZ75 SP-01 Shadow with two light primer strikes. That's it. All the problems I had. I put a Cajun Gunworks Comp kit in myself and let it eat.

I won my class at the SC State USPSA match one year and won a few class and high overall weekend Steel Challenge matches. It's an awesome gun.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Appreciate all the information. I am hoping to shoot several things with it...I would like to work it into my second stage of Bullseye 2700 to replace the .38 Super I currently shoot(ammo is getting harder and harder to find and it is higher than jet smoke when you can find it). I would shoot some USPSA Steel Challenge and maybe an IDPA match here or there with it as well, when I don't feel like running in the revolver classes, and then just shooting steel with it on my own once or twice a week. Single stack is all I need and would prefer it since I will be transitioning from the it to the Colt in the third stage of Bullseye. I have tried shooting a Glock 34 as my 2nd stage gun and the trigger is just too different for me to put in-between the match triggers of the Ruger and then the Colt. It takes me well into the second round to get accustomed to the trigger slop and creep. Then it takes me some time into the third round going back to the 1911. I shoot the 34 very well if I train with it but it doesn't mix well with my other setups. I suppose I am just too stubborn to put the time into shooting the striker fire pistols well, and prefer to shoot 1911s and revolvers anyway.
    I've got some .38 Super factory loads, hand loads and a shit ton of brass if you need anything.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

You can spot the 38 super shooters at a match. They’re the guys on their hands and knees looking for that giraffe pussy brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    If you are going single stack, I'd get the Springfield Armory Range Officer and not look back. I've been using mine in competition the last four years. I have a Kart barrel to put in it, but haven't yet because it just doesn't seem to need it - it shoots better than I can hold it.
    All my days I have not had a 1911 but shot them a fair amount. Well one I had was a Brazillian gun from WWII and I was advised to let it go. Anyway, everyone tells me if I get one, just save the trouble and start with a SA Range Officer.

The other issue I have is that I like revolvers too much. Mostly 44s.
    Last edited by rp; 02-11-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.