Thread: Fruit rot

Default Fruit rot

I have a nectarine tree that blooms, but usually the small fruits turn brown and rot. I assume it's brown rot fungus. Right now the tree is covered with healthy blossoms. Should I spray it now? Is it already to late to spray, and where do you get the fungicide? Thanks for any thoughts.

does it bloom year round?
    some varieties do that and are better suited for areas south of us. just wondering if yours is that type?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

No offense GMAC, but do you think these idiots know anything about nectarine trees or actually own one?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

they're just peaches without fuzzy skins, not quite natures candy. in your hand, or can, or pie

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    does it bloom year round?
    some varieties do that and are better suited for areas south of us. just wondering if yours is that type?
    Google Chill Hour requirements for fruit trees. Fruit trees go dormant in the winter. Fruit trees require a certain number of "chill hours" or "temps between 32-45" to signal to the tree that either "hey, winter is over, start blooming" or "hey there's more cold weather to come, hold off blooming for a while longer" Different varieties require different chill hour ranges. Around my area, that number is 800ish. If i plant a tree has a chill hour requirement of 250, it will hit that number usually by mid feb, and will start blooming, then that late cold front hits and screws that years fruit up...

Matching chill hour requirements to the climate zone in which you are planting the tree is a thing...... most people buy fruit trees from a big box hardware store like lowes or ace.... lowes nor ace gives two shits about whether or not you make fruit so there is a high likely hood that the trees that they ship to these stores arent ideal for planting in the area.......

to answer your spraying question......i think its best to spray the trees in their dormant state or before they start to bloom.....

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    No offense GMAC, but do you think these idiots know anything about nectarine trees or actually own one?
    haha. you are correct. But what are the chances that i am the only person that reads this post that actually has two plum, one peach, and one nectarine tree in a cardboard box from Isons nursery sitting in my office that will be planted within the hour.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 02-10-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    haha. you are correct. But what are the chances that i am the only person that reads this post that actually has two plum, one peach, and one nectarine tree in a cardboard box from Isons nursery sitting in my office that will be planted within the hour.
    Well, I can’t bet against that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I have one and a peach tree side by side. They are probably 6 years old now. They both will grow the a tree full of fruit and it looks perfect. Then as you describe, one will get a brown rot, by week's end the June bugs invade, by week two, they all are rotten. I've yet to get a fruit from these trees. I need the same help!
    Low country redneck who moved north

If I ever knew what kind it is, I've forgotten. It bore good fruit for a couple of years, but not in a long time. It blooms once, in the spring. This seems a bit early, but it's been a warm winter.

Call this guy. He's an expert......and whatever you do, don't go there .......unless you carry a pocket full of money.

http://mckenzie-farms.com/

And just guessing, you may need another plant to cross pollinate.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 02-10-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Default Fruit rot

Here are two links to pages with information on pests and diseases. You should be spraying every 10-14 days right now if they are starting to bloom. Also if you haven’t fertilized the trees you can do so now. 1 cup of 10-10-10 per 1 year of growth around each tree. Your trees are 6 years old so 6 cups per tree. Do not exceed 10 cups per tree on mature trees. Of course if you have been fertilizing each year, take a sample to your county’s extension office before doing anything. And check your soil pH.

Have you pruned the trees?

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/peach-diseases/

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/peach-insect-pests/
    Last edited by Hosscat; 02-11-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Dang. Apparently, just planting a tree and enjoying some fruit is not a thing.

I have four or five lemon trees, a lime tree, two orange trees, and an avocado. yes, an avocado.

One of the meyer lemons is known to bloom year round. yes, year round.

I am no expert but I've dealt with them for years.

and I havent read all the a-hole responses....and I've also been told NOT to fertilize.

I'll let you weed thru this and make your own determination. Have fun

I have pruned the trees. As stated, the fruit is probably several weeks out from harvest, looks awesome, then I will see the rot. Once I see the first peach with this brown rot it spreads within the week. The rot brings the junebugs in droves. Both trees, one peach, one nectarine, tried spraying them with an over the counter fruit tree bug spray and the junebugs drank it I believe. I talked with a local peach farmer one time about it and he got to telling me the spraying they do to the orchards. It was more than I thought.
    Low country redneck who moved north

So, it looks like a good course of action would be to fertilize, spray, and prune after the fruit are done. Where would one get the spray? Carolina Eastern?
    Last edited by GMAC; 02-11-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Dang. Apparently, just planting a tree and enjoying some fruit is not a thing.
    I have two lemon trees, two regular orange trees, two grapefruit trees, and two minuture orange trees. We have had the minuture orange trees for 25 years.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

What do you do with them in the wintertime?

CDs are in pots. he moves them

i have three planted closer to my house. I cover them in the deepest of freezes. otherwise, they survive.

I would read up on fertilizing trees.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    What do you do with them in the wintertime?

I took those pics this morning.

We only move the miniature orange up close to the house in winter(on back porch). The rest stay right where they are. That's a grapefruit tree is in a pot(pictured) because she hasn't decided where she wants it. The lemon and big orange trees are in the ground. His varieties can stand SC winters. At the nursery, he has some 10-15 ft tall.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 02-11-2020 at 01:58 PM.