Thread: Fake powerline

Default Fake powerline

I finally got around to installing a fake power line in the dove field. It turned out really good. I appreciate Bearclaw giving me some ideas on how to put it up.

8A897ECF-375F-40E3-987B-8BC764CB71C9.jpg

9F5289BC-B764-4E42-98C8-E76F8C7A6D96.jpg

5CD8432B-717B-47D9-A231-82F5C2CE75DC.jpg

FDDC68B6-9B0F-4A97-9818-AB4F5B5F6D87.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 02-09-2020 at 06:07 PM.

I had one of those once .... got a tractor trailer stuck in my front yard. Wife wasn’t too happy about that, and cutting the grass was bumpy as hell from that day on.

4947EACE-9A16-4DB5-A603-B2B5DC3B1A0F.jpg

Yep. That will work.

I remember that
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

You have any club openings for this year?

Where'd you buy your poles?

What a redneck will do to kill a critter... Nice job!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

give us the rundown on how you put it up.

I have access to an auger on a 3 point hitch and a bucket tractor. where did you get the wire from?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Get the wire from local scrap yard.

You should be able to get old poles from electric coops or the contractor linemen groups. Some of the big power company will not give the poles out anymore. I believe you can get old wire from them also. I got lucky and got a super deal on some new 3/8 wire that a friend of mine had.

We set the poles using a tractor with a bucket and auger. We used the 24 in auger. I recommend using a 18 in. The hole was a little big. The auger went about 4 ft down. I used post hole diggers to try to get close to 5 ft. Most of them was about just over 4 and a half. I used chain saw and cut poles to 32 feet. I watched a few videos on youtube on setting them with tractor. This is the technique we used. It worked really well. We took a two x eight and placed in hole as a back stop to help stand pole.

After we had pole standing we tamped it really well with big sledge hammers. It worked well. The sledge hammer head fit between pole and the side of the hole. It helped to really tamp. One of the poles was in a wet area of the field. I put just enough dirt in to hold the pole straight. Then put 240 lbs of concrete around it to make sure it was solid. It never would have packed.

I let the poles set a couple of weeks to make sure the poles settled and retamped.

I stretch my wire out across the field and on one end i used wire clamps and hooked the end to a large eye bolt. I went ahead and slide eye bolts on the wire for the middle poles.

I used my deer climber and climbed the poles and drilled a hole at the top for wire and just below it for guy wires. I bolted the dead end eye bolt and the eye bolt for guy wire.

I did the same for the middle poles. The wire was already run though the eye bolts. Just had to bolt them to poles

On the last pole i used climber to put a eye bolt at the top with a heavy duty pulley.

We put the anchors in for guy wires. I would recommend the strongest you can find. I did not and had to add a second one.

On the first guy wire anchor i had a loop and about a foot of wire already hooked to it. I pulled the guy wire through the anchor with tractor until it tight. I then took the wire already hooked to anchor and attached it to guy wire with wire clamps. Then cut the extra wire off with side grinder.

The second anchor i just used big turnbuckles. Worked better. Pulled the wire tight by hand hooked with wire clamps and then tightened turnbuckle to make the wire tight.

After we got the guy wires tight, most important thing, i pulled the top wire through the pulley with the tractor until it was fairly tight. I put a boat wench on side of the pole with a steel cable. I climbed back up pole with climber and attached a loop to the wire with wire clamps. I hooked the wench to the loop and got wench wire tight. Took pressure off the top wire by backing tractor up. Used side grinder to cut the extra top wire off. Then turned boat wench until the top wire was as tight as i wanted.

I am sure a lineman reading this will laugh on how I put it, but it worked.
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 02-10-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Very nice!

Good for having a place for birds to land but don't like shooting near them.

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    You have any club openings for this year?
    I was wondering if you did?

Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

And I thought I loved to shoot a dove. That is some all-in dove shooting commitment right there.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    give us the rundown on how you put it up.

I have access to an auger on a 3 point hitch and a bucket tractor. where did you get the wire from?
    Depending where you live I have a fair bit of wire at house. Might could trade a hunt or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Good for having a place for birds to land but don't like shooting near them.
    I just mainly wanted it as an extra attractant to this field. We have so many fields around us the birds get scattered as the season goes on and all the corn is cut. I am hoping with the powerline it keeps them coming to this field. I am also thinking about putting a small gravel road down the side of the line.

Pbiz

I road by your fishing club the other day. Man I hate it for yall. I hope the water is gone before turkey season.

Fake line is starting to pay off. I am hoping it is loaded with birds in the next few weeks. About 30 or so in field this morning.

92A7A5B0-960A-4F6F-807A-5B4C0DFD0464.jpg

Looks good. Make sure if you ever have a crop duster spray that field you make them aware of it. We had a guy up here flying a couple weeks ago that hit a fake wire and he is no longer here..