Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russell Moccasins

Default Russell Moccasins

There's probably more than one thread on this already but I'm going to start this one anyway. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a pair. I'm looking at the snake/turkey boots. Wondering how waterproof/resistant these things are. What models do you guys that have them own and what are the things you love and the things wish were different?
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Mine are as water resistant as leather boots can be. They aren't waders. Use Obenauf's LP to protect them. Don't stand in water and your feet will stay dry.

Current pair of Turtleskin Lite Turkey Hunter's boots were made in 2005. Still holding up well. If I was to order a new pair, I would opt for the Zephyr type ( Featherweight Pull On Snake Boot) with a zipper up the back - with no laces. You can expect many years of service from a pair of Russell's

I have 5 pairs of various Russell models and all are outstanding. Worth the coin IMHO. Been a Russell customer for over 30 years. Just my experience.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I have a pair of the Zephyrs I've had since '98. True work of craftsmanship. I am just now about to send them back and let them to totally reshape them, fix a zipper and resole them. I can't answer to the waterproofness of them, but my Popee exclusively wore the hunting version of Russell's in South Georgia swamps for 50+ years.
    I'm just vouching for the company themselves. Top dollar and top quality.

I am on my 2nd pair, I wear the sheep hunters, lots of leather and heavy but I treat 2 times a yr with Obenauf's and like Nitro said don't stand in water, but walking my feet are dry. They will be at SEWE next weekend , you can look at the selection and get measured , and order right there. They will be in Brittlebank, at least where they usually are.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I am on my 2nd pair, I wear the sheep hunters, lots of leather and heavy but I treat 2 times a yr with Obenauf's and like Nitro said don't stand in water, but walking my feet are dry. They will be at SEWE next weekend , you can look at the selection and get measured , and order right there. They will be in Brittlebank, at least where they usually are.
    That's what I plan to do. They are at Gilliard BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Foie Gras View Post
    That's what I plan to do. They are at Gilliard BTW.
    I have a pair of the zephyr 2s and I plan on getting the Turkey Hunters before this spring. I didn’t have my foot measured for the boots now and have been more than pleased with them. If you opt out of the custom fit, order a half size down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I've got a pair of the snake/turkey lace up boots. I've had them a few years and they are like new because when it's warm enough for snakes, it's too warm for boots. I am more accustomed to wearing much lighter shoes so leather boots feel heavy to me. Mine still aren't really broken in. I typically wear them four or five times a year max to turkey hunt.

That said, I think I would prefer pull-on, non-lace ups. If I were planning on hiking a long ways on rough terrain, the adjustable fit of lace-ups might make sense but for the way I use them, pull-ups would be much more convenient.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of shoes with laces really. Pull on will be the way I lean unless something really impresses me with the lace up ones.

I love mine. They aren’t the snake boots but a smaller lace up boot. I recommend their quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I’ve had a pair of lightweight turkey hunters since the mid 90s. Great boots that I haven’t always taken care of. Sent them back to Russell for new soles and reconditioning a few years ago and they’ve done great since then. Obenhauf’s periodically as others have suggested.

Mine aren’t waterproof and you shouldn’t expect them to be. My sense is that they have improved their water resistance since I bought mine 25 years ago but there is no way to make sewn leather waterproof. If I’m going to be somewhere wet I wear LaCrosse rubber boots. Walking thru a field wet with dew isn’t a problem. Feet get a little damp but since everything is leather inside the boot except your sock it’s not really an issue.

There is no middle ground when it comes to opinions of Russel's. You either love them or hate them. I don't own any. Yet. I have given it a lot of thought, but those damn Lacrosse Granges are so so comfortable.

ETA, I can stand in water, and sometimes do. I turkey hunt wet places
    Last edited by trkykilr; 02-06-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I have the pull on Zephyrs. I love them! On my 2nd re-sole. Wear them every day.

I have several pair and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    There is no middle ground when it comes to opinions of Russel's. You either love them or hate them. I don't own any. Yet. I have given it a lot of thought, but those damn Lacrosse Granges are so so comfortable.

ETA, I can stand in water, and sometimes do. I turkey hunt wet places
    See, thats the thing, I can stand in water in my Lacrosse Adders too. Not that I need to stand in water that much while turkey hunting, but my lease is wet and I don't like having wet feet. Your feet getting wet after walking across a damp field in the morning does not have me fired up to spend 6-800 on a pair of boots.

I have over 7 pairs of Russel moccasins that bought over the years . Buy once cry once.

Just answered your own questions.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I had a pair a while back. Comfortable boots, but not worth the money in my opinion.

If you're wanting suave and waterproof go with Le Chameaus.. I mean I like my lacrosse boots, a lot. But Chameaus are comfy and dashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    If you're wanting suave and waterproof go with Le Chameaus.. I mean I like my lacrosse boots, a lot. But Chameaus are comfy and dashing.
    Especially with some handmade shooting stockings.
    DILLIGAF

BTW I purchased the Turtle Skin Turkey hunters and they are like wearing mocs as far as your feet go. Hot uppers as Palmetto Bug said. I have had no water intrusion issues. They are triple vamp construction.
    DILLIGAF