Thread: Electric tankless water heater

Default Electric tankless water heater

Anyone running one? It would be for a pool house with one shower and one sink that gets used a couple of times a year.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Depending on how old your electric supply (the transformer that servers your property) it's probably not an option. Tankless electric water heaters pull a tremendous amount of real-time power that can overload a typical residential transformer.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

If you’ve got the power for it, it will work great for your stated purpose

When I was in commercial real estate, we often had them installed under sinks in strip center bathrooms. I intend to add one at my camp for a shower after I get my well put in. I just glanced at a 2.5 GPM one on Amazon that says it draws 12 amps, 120v.

I use this one at my camp. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lights using 2 D cell batteries and runs off of a 5lb LP tank. It says to not permanently mount it but I mounted it outside against the house three years ago. It mostly stays dry from the rain.

I use it to run hot water to the kitchen and an outdoor shower.

Ive got 220 coming out the wall where the 30 gallon tank water heater was. The ones I was looking at Home Depot just ran off of a 110. I know absolutely dick about amps/voltages etc... So not real sure. The guy that put my gas tankless on my house talked to me a little about getting a propane one, but thought an electric one would just be easier. I just don't want to put a tank back under the counter if I don't have to.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Depending on how old your electric supply (the transformer that servers your property) it's probably not an option. Tankless electric water heaters pull a tremendous amount of real-time power that can overload a typical residential transformer.
    A 50 KVA transformer is not going to be overloaded by adding an electric water heater.

Landlords sometimes put them in tenant housing because they can be more reliable and less likely to cause water damage but nobody would choose one for regular use if they are the one footing the power bill.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Ive got 220 coming out the wall where the 30 gallon tank water heater was. The ones I was looking at Home Depot just ran off of a 110. I know absolutely dick about amps/voltages etc... So not real sure. The guy that put my gas tankless on my house talked to me a little about getting a propane one, but thought an electric one would just be easier. I just don't want to put a tank back under the counter if I don't have to.
    That will be more than adequate...

https://www.amazon.com/EcoSmart-ECO-...R0ZWXTWEDE5CJG

https://www.homedepot.com/p/18-kW-Se...O-18/203316216
    Last edited by FishSticker; 02-06-2020 at 12:47 PM.

You will not get a hot shower with that unit. The ones that are designed for houses pull a massive amount electricity, usually have three 9000 W elements running simultaneously. You have number 10 wire with a 30 amp double breaker for your old heater, doubt that will be sufficient to run this new one you’re looking at, and like I said, you still won’t get a hot shower. An rlectric tankless is always a last resort

I put the ecosmart in the barn. Has 2 breakers to run it. Great if you know what you want on the front side.

I use one for the sink down at my outdoor kitchen. Works well enough for what we use it for. The lights dim a bit when it kicks on.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk