Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Great coyote article.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Hampton Co., SC
    Posts
    8,434

    Default Great coyote article.....

    Good read by M. Chamberlain and Joey Hinton.

    https://www.qdma.com/how-much-veniso...ign=2019-02-06
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    7,123

    Default

    Bottom line bring back M44's.
    Oooo, how that three hundred pounds amaze me
    When she gets down in the gravy
    God almighty, what a soulful groove
    When she gets down in the barbecue
    Three hundred pounds
    Tall as she round
    And every pound of that body so fine
    I can hardly b'lieve that it's mine - oh man!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    'Down in the Holler', SC
    Posts
    11,621

    Default

    Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it.
    .
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    .
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

    "If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    42,004

    Default

    Good stuff.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    8,719

    Default

    Thanks Scott. Great read. These boogers definitely make an impact.

    Coyote with Fawn.jpg
    2014 SCDucks College Football Pick 'em Champion


    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    And I will gloat because I am an SEC fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Beating Clemson is all that matters.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under the Roost
    Posts
    22,851

    Default

    Thanks, that was a good read. I am especially interested in the transient vs resident coyote part of it and their home ranges. I have noticed the same tendencies they spoke of regarding home range dogs being caught and just how quick a transient can fill the void. One thing is for certain, they are a highly adaptable and keen animal that isn't going anywhere. Another fun fact, we've caught a fair number of coyotes over the last couple years and not a one was malnourished or unhealthy, they eat!!!

    I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

    www.springallurecustomcalls.com

    https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    42,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Thanks, that was a good read. I am especially interested in the transient vs resident coyote part of it and their home ranges. I have noticed the same tendencies they spoke of regarding home range dogs being caught and just how quick a transient can fill the void. One thing is for certain, they are a highly adaptable and keen animal that isn't going anywhere. Another fun fact, we've caught a fair number of coyotes over the last couple years and not a one was malnourished or unhealthy, they eat!!!
    Have you noticed a decrease in sign, sightings and roll calls since you started aggressively trapping?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under the Roost
    Posts
    22,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you noticed a decrease in sign, sightings and roll calls since you started aggressively trapping?
    For a time yes, however like the article states I've seen that those voids are quickly filled. IMO, for trapping to have a positive affect on recruitment its all about timing. You hammer coyotes prior to fawning, you hammer nest raiders prior to nesting and create that void those young animals need to gain the upper hand. There are a few properties I trap for landowners out of our traditional trapping season,those lands are trapped year round and have mind boggling numbers in game.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-06-2020 at 11:08 AM.

    I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

    www.springallurecustomcalls.com

    https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    42,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    For a time yes, however like the article states I've seen that those voids are quickly filled. IMO, for trapping to have a positive affect on recruitment its all about timing. You hammer coyotes prior to fawning, you hammer nest raiders prior to nesting and create that void those young animals need to gain the upper hand. There are a few properties I trap for landowners out of our traditional trapping season,those lands are trapped year round and have mind boggling numbers in game.
    Good point about timing. My schedule simply does not allow me the time to ethically and effectively trap. I wish it did. I think the kids would enjoy it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under the Roost
    Posts
    22,851

    Default

    It's a very time consuming thing, either you'll be a hobby trapper that dables or it will bite you and it'll be hooked. It's a fading art that's for sure. We have seen the benefits in just a few short years on all the properties we trap.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-06-2020 at 11:46 AM.

    I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

    www.springallurecustomcalls.com

    https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    32

    Default

    You are correct. You and swift strike got me hooked.
    Y'all have me getting up at 430 in the am checking before work...then riding back after dark resetting traps. Friends and wife think I'm damn crazy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elgin SC
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Yes, that was good.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under the Roost
    Posts
    22,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    You are correct. You and swift strike got me hooked.
    Y'all have me getting up at 430 in the am checking before work...then riding back after dark resetting traps. Friends and wife think I'm damn crazy.
    Good to hear!!! Keep it up!!

    I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

    www.springallurecustomcalls.com

    https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Guessing the deer rise in November is probably from deer carcasses being discarded during deer season? Doubt they have anyway of determining a coyote kill compared to a scavenger kill.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •