Thread: Great coyote article.....

Default Great coyote article.....

Good read by M. Chamberlain and Joey Hinton.

https://www.qdma.com/how-much-veniso...ign=2019-02-06
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Bottom line bring back M44's.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Good stuff.

Thanks Scott. Great read. These boogers definitely make an impact.

Coyote with Fawn.jpg

Thanks, that was a good read. I am especially interested in the transient vs resident coyote part of it and their home ranges. I have noticed the same tendencies they spoke of regarding home range dogs being caught and just how quick a transient can fill the void. One thing is for certain, they are a highly adaptable and keen animal that isn't going anywhere. Another fun fact, we've caught a fair number of coyotes over the last couple years and not a one was malnourished or unhealthy, they eat!!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Thanks, that was a good read. I am especially interested in the transient vs resident coyote part of it and their home ranges. I have noticed the same tendencies they spoke of regarding home range dogs being caught and just how quick a transient can fill the void. One thing is for certain, they are a highly adaptable and keen animal that isn't going anywhere. Another fun fact, we've caught a fair number of coyotes over the last couple years and not a one was malnourished or unhealthy, they eat!!!
    Have you noticed a decrease in sign, sightings and roll calls since you started aggressively trapping?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you noticed a decrease in sign, sightings and roll calls since you started aggressively trapping?
    For a time yes, however like the article states I've seen that those voids are quickly filled. IMO, for trapping to have a positive affect on recruitment its all about timing. You hammer coyotes prior to fawning, you hammer nest raiders prior to nesting and create that void those young animals need to gain the upper hand. There are a few properties I trap for landowners out of our traditional trapping season,those lands are trapped year round and have mind boggling numbers in game.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-06-2020 at 11:08 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    For a time yes, however like the article states I've seen that those voids are quickly filled. IMO, for trapping to have a positive affect on recruitment its all about timing. You hammer coyotes prior to fawning, you hammer nest raiders prior to nesting and create that void those young animals need to gain the upper hand. There are a few properties I trap for landowners out of our traditional trapping season,those lands are trapped year round and have mind boggling numbers in game.
    Good point about timing. My schedule simply does not allow me the time to ethically and effectively trap. I wish it did. I think the kids would enjoy it.

It's a very time consuming thing, either you'll be a hobby trapper that dables or it will bite you and it'll be hooked. It's a fading art that's for sure. We have seen the benefits in just a few short years on all the properties we trap.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-06-2020 at 11:46 AM.

You are correct. You and swift strike got me hooked.
    Y'all have me getting up at 430 in the am checking before work...then riding back after dark resetting traps. Friends and wife think I'm damn crazy.

Yes, that was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    You are correct. You and swift strike got me hooked.
    Y'all have me getting up at 430 in the am checking before work...then riding back after dark resetting traps. Friends and wife think I'm damn crazy.
    Good to hear!!! Keep it up!!

Guessing the deer rise in November is probably from deer carcasses being discarded during deer season? Doubt they have anyway of determining a coyote kill compared to a scavenger kill.