Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boatwork

Default Boatwork

Since there are a few on here that like working on boats I figured I would share. This was pretty hastily thrown together so I apologize if anything is out of order.

There have always been a few things I have wanted to change on my boat and now between guiding and fishing more tournaments these things become more and more obvious.

Rod Lockers - I hate these things, they take up way too much room and you have to clear the floor to open them. Needless to say I never really used them.
    Console - I really wanted to move to an offset console allowing 2 people to comfortable sit in the back instead of one in the center and others awkwardly cramped to the side.
    On top of all this it is a 20 year old boat and could use some love to bring it back to like new.

Here are starting pictures of the lockers

IMG_1347 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

Process on the rod lockers: removed the doors then cut out the supports and lip on the deck between the locker and floor. After that it was ground down and 2 layers of 1708 went over it followed by epoxy thickened with Q cells. From then on it was A LOT of sanding to get it all fair. I did not do too much fairing with the back as it will be sea decked. Once that was done I put in rod racks I made to both hold rods and support the walking gunnel above. These were tabbed in with 1708 and then faired in.

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1570 - Copy.jpg

From here we went to a full de-rigging of the boat as the console will be stripped, holes filled and painted. A new steering system is going in as well. Additionally all plumbing is getting replaced so all through hulls etc were pulled. All old seadek was removed and was a real pain, it may look nice but I really had second thoughts when having to remove it.

IMG_1667.jpg

Next began the painstaking process of filling in every chip/scratch I could find and sanding it out. Spider cracks were ground out and filled. This was especially fun under the boat where I got to undo years of oyster rash. I will certainly think twice before poling into another blocked off low tide creek (probably not). Sanding upside down under a trailer is terrible don't do it.

IMG_1629 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1680[40817].jpg

Now we are on the paint stage. The entire boat was sanded down with 180 grit. Despite being only 17.5ft this was a lot of work and again upside down under the trailer was the worst. I now have primer on the boat and we are in the final stages of glazing putty and making sure it is the way I want it before it gets paint this weekend (hopefully).

IMG_1693.jpg

So far the real work began mid January and I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, total budget of materials looking to be around $500 (will have to double check).
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 02-05-2020 at 08:35 PM.

IMG_1694.jpg

Final Paint will be ice blue hull with whisper grey deck

Amen on the sanding. I’ve done 1 pass on the Southport of 150 to knock it down. Going to try one more quick 150 this weekend, then a 220 before I prime and fare. Then more 220, then 320, then glaze, then 400. Then 3 coats of Awlcraft then 2 coats of clear.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Amen on the sanding. I’ve done 1 pass on the Southport of 150 to knock it down. Going to try one more quick 150 this weekend, then a 220 before I prime and fare. Then more 220, then 320, then glaze, then 400. Then 3 coats of Awlcraft then 2 coats of clear.
    Are you spraying or roll/tip?

I swear 90% of any boat work is sanding.

looks really good

I bought a 3M Accuspray kit with a bunch of 1.2mm tips. I can spray like a mofo but the hell with roll and tip on that hull. The tips are disposable as are the cups and liners. I’d spend 8hrs to mask and prep something to paint with a sprayer over picking up a brush & roller for 5hrs. Throw on a Tyvek said, respirator and get after it.

There’s a guy on YouTube named Frankie Bashong, he goes through the process step by step and does some dang nice work.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

What Johnson/Rude is that? Kinda looks like a looper 120/140.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I like the rod locker mod. Where do you guide out of?
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    What Johnson/Rude is that? Kinda looks like a looper 120/140.
    You got it, v4 130 looper.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    I like the rod locker mod. Where do you guide out of?
    Thank you. Charleston,usually folly/Kiawah

looks good! great work

Nice work, I always find it very rewarding doing this type stuff

Them V-4's will tote it. Really fast motors and sound good too.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Been steadily making progress, it feels good to be back to putting things on the boat instead of taking them off. Hatches got their final coat of paint and will be back on in a few days.

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

Console had a ton of holes filled from screws, gauges, switches etc and is one more round of fairing away from primer.

IMG_1737.jpg

I put in the less expensive Amazon EVA teak sheet for the gunnels instead of carpet and was actually impressed with it. Not sure how they will hold up but they came with a 3M backing and feel better than hydroturf.

IMG_1739.jpg

Progress has been a little slower with the birth of our first child but I was given a pass to do some work the last two afternoons.

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

Console is wired and installed, wiring sleep deprived was a real challenge. All that remains is a few plumbing items, build a console door, and to finish the poling platform.

For the platform I removed the two rod holders as I did not like their angle and never used them. Next is to either repair (anyone around CHS Tig?) or remove the bar with the broken weld. From here I am going to paint/coat it black. My feeling is to go with some type of bedliner product to cover some areas of light pitting. Then paint the top and install it back.

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

I might have missed it above but what is the hull side color? Looks great, you should be proud of your work!! And congrats on the baby!!!
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    I might have missed it above but what is the hull side color? Looks great, you should be proud of your work!! And congrats on the baby!!!
    Thank you! And not too bad for an amateur garage job.

Originally boat was forest green hull and offwhite deck.

Dang thing just looks fast and real nice job/I really am a fan of the V-4 loopers. Lay the oil to um and let um eat

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Thank you! And not too bad for an amateur garage job.

Originally boat was forest green hull and offwhite deck.
    Finished color?