Thread: 20ga turkey gun

Default 20ga turkey gun

I bought me a Franchi affinity 3 in bottomland this year. Wanting to kill a turkey with it. Looking to see if anyone else has done any patterning with choke/shell combos? I'm all ears, if anyone has any info.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I’m going with the same gun. I am shooting a jebs.555.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Affinity 20 with an Indian Creek .562-5 without the wad catchers shooting TSS 8s or 9s has been deadly for me over the last 6 years.

IMG_1222.jpg
    Last edited by joshua2; 02-04-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

the best combo i found is .555 indian creek with 1-5/8oz of #9tss. i tried several other chokes with less constriction, and they all would have killed turkeys beyond 40 yards, but the .555 IC is just nasty. right around 330 pellets in 10" at 40, and the rest are inside of 20".

IF you are the type that looses their shit when they are in close, i wouldnt shoot the .555.....its like shooting a rifle inside of 10 yards.

Or, just adjust your aim point to the body. Some fellas here have adopted that tactic. Hell on the food gathering portion of the hunt, but effective.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    the best combo i found is .555 indian creek with 1-5/8oz of #9tss. i tried several other chokes with less constriction, and they all would have killed turkeys beyond 40 yards, but the .555 IC is just nasty. right around 330 pellets in 10" at 40, and the rest are inside of 20".

IF you are the type that looses their shit when they are in close, i wouldnt shoot the .555.....its like shooting a rifle inside of 10 yards.
    Thanks brother. Looking now online to be able to get something here before season. By the way, the boat is holding up great. I beat on it pretty hard this season.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I ordered a Jebs .560 for mine but I haven't patterned it yet.

This is out of a Stoeger 3020 Sumtoy .570 tss 9s @40yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should create leakage.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post

this....also you wanna put a red dot on it.
    Last edited by holdin down the fort; 02-04-2020 at 02:33 PM.

I’m on the hunt for the same info. Im setting mine up for my wife and she’s no deadeye so I’m leaning towards something in the .575 range. She’s not getting the green light past 30 yards anyway. I may go with the IC .555 just for me.

I know I want to get tighter but it’s not really necessary. I got 262 pellets in 10” and 522 in 20” with a .595 Jebs at 40 yards with #9 TSS last year so I may just stick with that.

It’s also getting a red dot for her.

Ordered an Indian creek 562 last night and some 7/9 tss blend. Planning on doing some testing this weekend. I’ll let y’all know how it turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve shot both the .555 and the .562 out of my affinity and the difference in a 10 inch circle was around 30 pellets if I remember correctly. For me the slightly more open choke had a better overall pattern. It’s still a softball at 20 yds and in.
    Like others stated, a red dot is almost a must shooting such tight patterns.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

With these tightly choke guns, a Red Dot is very useful. Nerves of steel, flinty eye and squeeze the trigger. Aim small. I almost always take the first shot opportunity I get when the bird is inside 40 yards.

Lots of bad things can happen when a Gobbler is in tight.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I sat down last night and got all my potential "turkey head smashing shotguns" out. I had about 37 different choke combos to work on so I bought a pallet of TFC 5/7/9s loaded with a 555 johnson wad splitter choke combo and punched paper all afternoon while wearing a TFC knockoff hat, backwards. My illuminated red dot lazer jellyhead scope popped my in the eye a few times but getting yourself bloodied before "creating leakage" on a big, stupid bird is worth it, right? Anywho, I found that all this shit was nonsense and went inside a read a good book.

Come turkey season I'll be toting a gun with shells in it and will kill stuff.

Amen.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and yes I understand what yall are doing but I just dont do it. never have, never will. its ok to be different.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Just please, no photos of neck stomping or bird kicking.. That is unsavory.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I sat down last night and got all my potential "turkey head smashing shotguns" out. I had about 37 different choke combos to work on so I bought a pallet of TFC 5/7/9s loaded with a 555 johnson wad splitter choke combo and punched paper all afternoon while wearing a TFC knockoff hat, backwards. My illuminated red dot lazer jellyhead scope popped my in the eye a few times but getting yourself bloodied before "creating leakage" on a big, stupid bird is worth it, right? Anywho, I found that all this shit was nonsense and went inside a read a good book.

Come turkey season I'll be toting a gun with shells in it and will kill stuff.

Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.