Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If it will pattern...

attaboy, ralph

and, no, spur hunter. dont get your panties wadded up. I just asked one simple question TO SOMEONE ELSE about mounting his shotgun differently. I just wanted clarification. I'm sure looking down a side by side makes for a different picture. that's simply all I wanted to know more about. just curious.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I don’t give a rip what you post skippy. My posts have nothing to do with you.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We need to find someone that raises turkeys, meet at BG, and put all this nonsense to bed. If nothing else just to hurt more than a few feelings amongst the turkey crowd while we are at it...
    I can supply the turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We need to find someone that raises turkeys, meet at BG, and put all this nonsense to bed. If nothing else just to hurt more than a few feelings amongst the turkey crowd while we are at it...

some years back our muzzleloader club had an old time Alvin York turkey shoot with flintlock rifles.
    we put a turkey behind a little wall of railroad ties high enough that it covered the turkey, only the head and neck would show if they raised up.

you could voice call to get them to raise up, but couldn't use a turkey call, (not even trumpets).
    it was a real scene man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I don’t give a rip what you post skippy. My posts have nothing to do with you.
    this one sure did

Crow I bet that was a hoot. Sargent York is a true classic movie.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-26-2020 at 10:31 AM.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Did I bother somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Did I bother somebody?
    Just people with no fashion sense or style.

they need motivation anyway... it's like sometimes I wonder if people even own mirrors these days?

it was me. its always me.

i still wanna know about mounting the gun differently. that perplexes me.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-26-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Default If it will pattern...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    it was me. its always me.

i still wanna know about mounting the gun differently. that was really all....
    Here, Skippy...

Fishtula explained it to me this way...

For wing shooting and bustin skeets you want to see the rib and have your bead under and in front of your target for a “less crowded” sight picture.

For stationary targets shoot it like a HPR.

Hope this helps.

Not really
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-26-2020 at 12:37 PM.

i see what you tried there...

whats HPR?

high powered rifle?

would it be different for a low powered one?

Wood grain or synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    would it be different for a low powered one?
    Depends on the squat angle of your truck and the flatness of your hat bill.

No backlash. I told you the truth.

As for mounting the gun, I've already got the skeet/sporting clays/wingshooting advice from the local expert here at work. Not arguing the need to fit a gun to the shooter. But when you shoot a gun from sandbags and the POI is 10" low when viewed flatly down the rib then I think there is something wrong. I've always understood fitting the gun means adjusting so your eye is positioned to that point, rear reference, so that when you shoulder the gun the eye is there automatically. With a turkey gun I pay more attention to a rear reference because I am trying to center a tight 20" pattern at 40 yards on a fist sized turkey head and it can be even more important inside 20. I could be wrong on some of this, just trying to learn something here as well as share what I am doing to maybe help someone else. When I started turkey hunting we didn't know to pattern a gun, you just hunted. "Missed" or more likely sprayed a number of turkeys with guns that didn't shoot where the gun was pointed. Those that caused the most issue have been about 3 that proved to pattern low as described. As for what highstrung asked earlier about "do you want to see more barrel when wing shooting?" No I do not. I am trying to get a 50/50 pattern off the bead and would rather have a 60/40, based off a level rib. I'll update on the project, read if it's of interest or simply ignore it.

But when you shoot a gun from sandbags and the POI is 10" low when viewed flatly down the rib then I think there is something wrong.
    this is the part I dont get. i would say something is definitely wrong....but i'm not about to have to think about how to mount that specific gun. my brain wouldnt let me. it would just aim and shoot and I guess I would knock his legs out from under him....

Well I get all chatty in the off season and doubly so just prior to turkey season. I'll fade out when there's stuff to shoot or catch so bear with me.