Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If it will pattern...

Shot again today. Installed clamp on rear fiber sight for elevation. Planning to have mid rib bead installed in coming week. Right barrel shooting right about 4-6" no matter what choke. Plan is to use stock full (.685) in left barrel for mid to 40yds and IM (.690) in right barrel for a little more spread, close shots maybe. Fair patterns, not meant to impress and more my style being open enough to help me not miss. Probably shoot one more time for mid bead and mod, may try one more load. Made a 5th shot for #3 being "pulled" but it was a blown pattern, bad load apparently. Xfull shown is .685 same as factory full.
    IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-22-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I like your left barrel #7HVWT pattern, that should hold up past 40yds if needed

my 20ga shot on for windage with 1 to 1 1/4 oz lead loads,
    but with heavy loads of TSS or FED. HVWT #7's the left barrel shot left and right barrel shot to the right of center.

for the right (close) barrel I dropped down to 1oz of TSS with no buffer, the lighter weight brought the pattern back to center, has patterns good past 40yds and is not bad at 20yds

to bring the left barrel pattern back to center I filed the choke to change point of impact and shooting one and 7/16ths oz of TSS, filing the choke made the biggest change in moving the pattern

there is a guy "poor country preacher" on Gobbler Nation forum that explains how to file the chokes to move your pattern,
    it will open the pattern a little so you start with a tighter choke than where you want to end up

Thank you again for the information. The front trigger is a little heavier than the rear and after some thought I’m wondering if it could be causing a little right pull. I shot off sandbags with very much attention to stability but still pulled at least one shot. I read something about honing chokes to change poi, will check out your lead as I’ve got extras to play around with.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-23-2020 at 10:53 AM.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

You may want to call the folks at CZ. They will address that trigger pull under warranty. I would mention the barrel regulation as well just to see what they might help you with.

Thanks. I sent a message via their website this past week and didn't get a reply. I'll call tomorrow and get a live person before I pursue anything further. Triggers are front 8lbs and rear 7lbs. I shot the gun with field load 8s this past week, 3 rounds per barrel per target with same full/xfull chokes just standing, mounting gun and bead on spot. Both barrels seemed to pattern those loads centered in those conditions. I needed something to tinker with anyway, it's that time of year.

Going the warranty route. Asking for them to take a look at lightening triggers a tad and address barrel regulation, elevation issue. If any are corrected then I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Going the warranty route. Asking for them to take a look at lightening triggers a tad and address barrel regulation, elevation issue. If any are corrected then I'm happy.

I was going to bend the barrels on this gun because of the patterns hitting low when shouldering and aiming it like a rifle for turkey, but I had shot this gun with no problems for dove and small game.

so I patterned it again, shouldering it like you would for wingshooting and the patterns are centered for both elevation and windage when shouldering it like this (with 1 oz. 20 ga. lead field loads). the mid bead fixed this problem for turkey and doesn't interfere for wing shooting.
    If I had bent the barrels the patterns would of been good for turkey but probably too high for wing shooting.

am i understanding that you mount the gun differently for wingshooting and turkey shooting?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The way barrel regulation in a SXS was explained to me is that they regulate the barrels with a specific load and distance, usually a field load.
    Heavy lead loads and especially heavy TSS loads usually make the left barrel shoot left and the right barrel shoot to the right.

I have an old English 12 ga. blackpowder SXS that is regulated with 1 1/8th ounce loads and it's patterns are very centered with that load, but it does shoot off center patterns with heavy payload (shot, not powder) reloads.

I think you lucked out with your left barrel shooting center with turkey loads, I would hate to mess with that for your distance barrel and would probably file my right barrel choke to center it.

My CZ triggers are also way too heavy

I find it plausible following turkey hunters on here over the years.. that some how there is a way to mount a scope on both barrels on a SxS.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    am i understanding that you mount the gun differently for wingshooting and turkey shooting?

when aiming a shot gun for turkey hunting or using slugs or roundball for deer, I get my face down on the stock more (so I see less barrel or barrel rib) than I do when wing shooting that gun.
    this is with other guns also, not just the SXS

i can live with that

i am of the ilk that just points and shoots and watches stuff die. I start "thinking" too much and stuff breaks down....

Do you want to see the barrel more wingshooting?

i wouldnt even know there is a barrel. i'm looking at the bird and watching the feathers come out of it like shooting a pillow.

and my model 12 has no rib or bead.

We need to find someone that raises turkeys, meet at BG, and put all this nonsense to bed. If nothing else just to hurt more than a few feelings amongst the turkey crowd while we are at it...

Crow everything you said is spot on for me. Appreciate your comments here. I’m worrying over this too much, no problem admitting that, but I’ve got 7 other turkey guns in case I don’t get all the kinks out with this one. I like a gun I have confidence in and that doesn’t require much thought when I pull the trigger. Missed a bunch of turkeys over the years. I wonder if barrel harmonics is what causes the heavy loads to shoot off with a sxs being soldered together. Never considered that before. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We need to find someone that raises turkeys, meet at BG, and put all this nonsense to bed. If nothing else just to hurt more than a few feelings amongst the turkey crowd while we are at it...
    or we could just invite fish to be fish in this thread....

Does this thread bother some of you? I thought it was good for conversation. I appreciate the suggestions I’ve gotten here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I find it plausible following turkey hunters on here over the years.. that some how there is a way to mount a scope on both barrels on a SxS.

Walph in his office picking on turkey hunters
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Haha, I don't do nerdy trinkets

Plus, I can handle myself fairly well with a shotgun.. and don't get offended that I can't get all into it. I'm a rock, I'm set in my ways.