Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catahoula

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I agree the landowners should be paid. This is one complicated mess and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Hopefully the habitat will be kept in tact regardless of which way it goes.
    I’m sure it is going to be an absolute nightmare... I imagine there are quite a few people who have hunted there long enough to think that they own the place
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Read the case and get back to us. It is readily available online.
    He did read it, he’s just to ignorant to comprehend it.
    More fuel = more boost!!

There is a case where Exxon in Louisiana gated off navigable creeks back in the 80's. They were sued by sportsmen who wanted access to fish/hunt etc. The court granted Exxon the right to keep the waterways gated because the waterways were machine dug canals on private property. The water/fish/ducks that followed the canals are not owned by Exxon.

Lots of potential issues could be upcoming. Should the surviving family of Gippy Plantation be granted the exclusive rights to that part of Santee that was taken by force for the lake?

There are plenty of court cases surrounding the land/water ownership in Louisiana and most of them seem to be decided in a way that leaves the sportsman without access. It's hell when you can't run from a boat landing to a "public" bay without trespassing by crossing through some water that someone else owns. That's what happened down in Caernarvon where I used to fish. Eventually the public launch was shut down and we lost access to some great fishing!
    Last edited by Ring King; 01-31-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    He did read it, he’s just to ignorant to comprehend it.
    When I bring the wife’s car over there to be worked on I’m going to whip your ass for that comment.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I'm sure the locals will continue to lease blinds and shoot ducks. Us public will have to stay in the river channel. Be very interesting to see how this plays out.
    Years ago I asked a GW why don't the state just buy this land, he said the state was broke! Maybe the state needs to take down their water control structure, local owners can hope they have a wet year and their land floods enough to hunt. That lake brought alot of money to that area.
    Last edited by mudflat; 01-31-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Maybe the state needs to take down their water control structure, local owners can hope they have a wet year and their land floods enough to hunt.
    Like the owners wouldn't just put up their own.

That lake brought alot of money to that area.
    To everyone but the rightful owners, lol...

I guess they could make individual fields out of their land and somehow divert water from the river.
    The structure I'm referring to is the dam/water control structure mid lake. It's going to be a shitshow amongst landowners, if I recall it's 8 miles long and 2 wide roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I guess they could make individual fields out of their land and somehow divert water from the river.
    The structure I'm referring to is the dam/water control structure mid lake. It's going to be a shitshow amongst landowners, if I recall it's 8 miles long and 2 wide roughly.
    Damn. Now that is what I call a structure. It will be interesting to see how it all sorts out...

The lake is 8 miles by 2 miles. The damn is a set of flood gates, mid lake. Not sure how it flooded before it was put in place but I assume this is what makes it a lake.

Truly a shock to me and my guys. We have two permanent and one floating blind. We are on the North East side of the river. We are not affected as far as the private land is concerned but I do see the LA Wildlife doing something on our side. I am not to concerned about the blinds (because it is what it is) but I do hope they will be some kind of hunting on the lake. My buddy and I own a two acre tract about 500 yards from the lake that borders the family's that were suing La. We have three campers, water and electricity so hopefully we can still make use of it. I seen a post on FB from a local news station in La and the guy was saying that the feds are going to get involved. Its a mess and I hope it comes out in the ducks favor.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

JHD, so who owns the land where your permanent blinds sit?

I am told the state does. My understanding is all the land that it is effecting is West of the river. Our other two blinds are in Mosquito Bend which is close to the refuge.

I know where your blind is or about anyhow. From what I have heard everything below the 36 foot watermark is state land. That is land it did not sell People claiming that do not have deeds nor have taxes ever been paid on it. The state did sell some land those parcels are called swamp deeds those people have deeds and do pay taxes.

Mudflat is right that is a huge place there’s no way in hell individual owners could ever damn it up like it is now.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 01-31-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I’m telling you guys this is a complicated mess that’s more screwed up than a soup sandwich. And just so you know how far back it goes some of this land was swapped out for a number of pine knots whatever the hell that is.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 01-31-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

You don’t know what a line knot is? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsHuntingDuke View Post
    I am told the state does. My understanding is all the land that it is effecting is West of the river. Our other two blinds are in Mosquito Bend which is close to the refuge.
    I’ve killed my share of mallards in mosquito bend.

Last couple of weeks the water got good back in there and we killed a good bit of Mallards and Gadwall. Rough as crap when the water gets up. The biggest blind we have is in the middle of the lake on the North End which is east of the river. I agree this will be a mess all the way around.

The Mosquito Bend area is affected unfortuanately. A friend of mine who lives near Cat has a few blinds in that area.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If the FFL was 1/2 as concerned about what was going on in their own state and not what everyone else is doing, maybe they could actually do so good for the ducks and duck hunters in their state
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog