Thread: DIY dredge

Default DIY dredge

I have 40 ft section of sandbar that is blocking an entrance to main lake and need to deepen it by a couple feet for length of the sandbar. Any suggestions that dont include the Corp of Engineers?

Anchor a boat and leave it in gear for a few hrs.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    or mud boat but the prop will be shot when your done.

Pressure washer under cover of darkness and jet it out.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

You can rent trash pumps pretty cheap at United or Sunbelt. I am sure that you have all the required permits in hand, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    This, of course if anyone asks you are just stuck not dredging. We used to clear out under our lift in FL this way.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    You can rent trash pumps pretty cheap at United or Sunbelt. I am sure that you have all the required permits in hand, of course...
    Of course....

We used to drag chainlink fence to knock humps down & an I-beam on the ebb tide to do it as well. Using a boat to deepen a spot is actually illegal, but is done often.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    We used to drag chainlink fence to knock humps down & an I-beam on the ebb tide to do it as well. Using a boat to deepen a spot is actually illegal, but is done often.
    Wish the permit process was so difficult and costly. Average person cant afford to follow all the rules. Permits and removal/disposal quote was north of 30K. Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    I have 40 ft section of sandbar that is blocking an entrance to main lake and need to deepen it by a couple feet for length of the sandbar. Any suggestions that dont include the Corp of Engineers?
    In a lake with little current- the tidal method of anchoring the boat while in gear won't work. Dragging weighted chain link fence will work, you will need to mark your path with PVC poles first, drag to deeper water, pull up your implement, and repeat dragging the same path in the same direction until done. Unfortunately- it won't last and will become necessary to do over and over as the sandbar shifts-AND- it should be done in the middle of the night with no witnesses.

In the case of the ACOE or potentially the local power company that has been granted a Shoreline Management Plan through the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, it is NOT wise to ask for forgiveness over permission. That $30k will be a drop in the bucket.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Wish the permit process was so difficult and costly. Average person cant afford to follow all the rules. Permits and removal/disposal quote was north of 30K. Ouch
    I’m not sure who quoted you that, but the permitting through ace in my experience hasn’t been that bad. Also there is a dredging company on Daniel island, name escapes me, call them and ask their opinion.

Use the Perot method.
    Genesis 9;2

40 ft can be done with a shovel

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

years ago, my uncle had a beautiful place right inside a small creek coming off the Intercoastal Waterway.
    Just needed a few feet dredged here and there. I was mating on the Sea Witch, a 54 ft Buddy Davis back then.
    One day we were running up the ICW and we helped him out by stopping and backed the Sea Witch in his creek entrance
    so bow was always pointed out, in case we got aground. We washed that place out in an hour and as far as I know it stayed
    open for years.
    Moral of the story: get something that can wash it out