Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquatic Plant Management draft plan

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Either way, I just sent my email...........and it is in affect a "popularity contest" as there are certain, more popular person(s) with ties to the SCDNR that live on a certain lake and have grass carp restocking dropped off along the shoreline of "their" waterfront home. This is the good ol boy BS that needs to stop, all under the guise of "wildlife and fisheries management". It's truly sickening.
    For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    For sure.
    The more we can get people involved the more we can influence things like this. Votes, votes, votes..... This is why we need as many as possible.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

You see people talk about duck hunting and the problems we face here. You see a lot of the same people bashing some organizations like DU saying not enough is done here. Why can’t we create a Sc based group to raise money push our agenda, hire lawyers, start native plant regeneration and other projects.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    You see people talk about duck hunting and the problems we face here. You see a lot of the same people bashing some organizations like DU saying not enough is done here. Why can’t we create a Sc based group to raise money push our agenda, hire lawyers, start native plant regeneration and other projects.
    We could..... One major problem (and only found this out recently)...... Getting a group of hunters together to agree on something and actually follow through with it is extremely difficult for some reason. Same as only a few have sent emails.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Well, I believe that you can not worry about the masses and have to worry about doing the largest amount of good. You will have to start with a base of same minded individuals. Come up with a game plan and go. Fundraising is just that. Look at most Du events or the sewe event this past weekend. Millions are raised and most can not tell you the first part of the mission statement of these organizations. Over half the people that go and give money are there to socialize and drink and don’t even hunt.

Unfortunately number man is right. Most are there for the wrong reason but glad they are there leaving their money to benefit our cause. When it comes to issues like this 10 people do all the work to the benefit of 100. A local organization sounds great and fixing habitat here is great but we need the birds to get here first. BTW DU has spent an enormous amount of money in this state on CAT 1 WMAs. More so than any other organization besides the taxpayers.
    Send your emails fellas and encourage others to do so.
    cut\'em

I don’t see emails working. I send them and have been to aquatic meetings where we who supposed the spraying and carp out numbered the side apposing. They told us that is didn’t matter that they were going forward with their plans. It will take money and lawyers to make a difference. .

accepting emails and holding a meeting is just a formality, the outcome has long been decided. much like the democratic nomination.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    I don’t see emails working. I send them and have been to aquatic meetings where we who supposed the spraying and carp out numbered the side apposing. They told us that is didn’t matter that they were going forward with their plans. It will take money and lawyers to make a difference. .
    You may not see them working , but the amount of emails and membership numbers that made it to and are sent and observed via CWS and SC Ducks members to SCDNR , Santee Cooper and the Aquatic Plant Management Council most certainly had bearing on CWS being able to push the 10% aquatic vegetation to 15% in the new upcoming Memorandum of Agreement ( MOA) between SCDNR/Santee Cooper.

We pushed for a full on delineation of herbaceous vs aquatics ( both were rolled into one) we hopefully wound up with 15% aquatics and another herbacious component independent of aquatics. I am told that we definitely should see the 15% increase at minimum. All smoke and mirrors though until I have the paper in hand.

Also, I have currently requested the newest Triploid Carp Health indices research as it is mentioned in the Draft Plan. I highly doubt another has been done , maybe wrong, but the last one showed the carp health indices below the requirement for new stockings. If I don't get it I will Foia the research but I am betting it doesn't exist.

We will continue pushing for less , more accurate and applicable spraying of herbicides along with research and adoption of mechanical harvesting as well especially as to floating invasive species.

I met with a NPO expert recently and it maybe that I have to take CWS to that next level.
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-22-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Genesis 9;2