Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dew Claws

All of my purebred dogs have had them clipped. My mutts haven't. I have had a terrier injure one while hunting years ago.

This thread is very ironic to me because when I was at the farm Sunday, a neighbor texted me to ask advice on whether to take her big German Shepard to the emergency vet for a torn dew claw. The dog was obviously in pain and following her around panting. Since he seemed to be in distress, I told her to take him in at least for some local anesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure that they would, but I imagine most folks hear about a litter after the pups are born.
    I'm sure you're right about that, MKW. Of the three dogs I've bought directly from breeders (vs the rest being adopted rescues), two were post-birth and one was pre-birth, but all had intact dew claws, including the BLF being out of a pure 'blue-blood' field trial line.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    My .02.
    My understanding is that they are removed to prevent tearing injuries while working in the field. I have had several dogs with theirs removed and do not think it caused one bit of issue. They do it very shortly after birth without anesthetic and it is a quick clip and covered w some surgical glue to heal generally without issue. You can still feel the bony part of the digit under the skin after it heals. If you are cutting it, you want to remove the entire nail bed otherwise you will have all sorts of issues with the nail trying to grow back under the skin and I recommend having a professional do this. I am sure there are situations where ppl screw this procedure up and have or cause complications.

I have also seen plenty of working dogs without them removed and have never had issue with it.
    I believe the theory is that it is less traumatic and less expensive to be proactive..... In 17 years in the industry I can not say that I recall seeing a single ripped dew claw but I am sure it happens. Others will chime in at some point but sometimes it is easier to not jump on some of these threads.....
    Thanks for chiming in. My curiosity is in this question/issue of the "five tendons attached to the bones/joint", and whether the normal procedure of clipping them off at two days, etc, goes deep enough to damage these tendons, or is that only if the entire joint is removed? Hopefully I've asked that right since I don't fully understand the anatomy involved.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Woodie and others, who may hunt some different situations, you may find this interesting as to dew claws and being able to get out of the ice. Mine has rear dew claws removed , fronts intact for this very reason.

Genesis 9;2