Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dew Claws

Default Dew Claws

Here's an interesting thread from the Retriever Training forum regarding keeping dew claws intact vs the potential longer term issues that removing them can create.

https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...23#post2191590
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Interesting. My new Boykin pup has the dewclaws removed, as is standard, shortly after birth. All of them are gone with the exception of one on a front leg. It must not have been clipped right at the joint and can still be felt although there’s no nail on the end of it. We are watching it to make sure it doesn’t become an issue but my wife has been worried about it due to the fact that she’s going to be a working dog and we’ve always been told that they needed to be removed to prevent injury. We’ll see what she says about the article! Hopefully it will put her at ease a bit.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I've owned a lot of working(hunting) dogs and know a LOT of people with hunting dogs. I've never not never heard of people removing dewclaws for fear of the dogs injuring themselves. The practice of removing the dewclaws started with yuppies turning dogs into house pets. They don't like to get scratched when their bad behaved dog jumps up on them and scratches the shit out of them with the dewclaws. I have never heard of a hunting dog injuring their dewclaws....ever. If you need your house pets declawed because they jump up on you them you are a bad dog owner. Train the damn thing not to jump!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Interesting. My new Boykin pup has the dewclaws removed, as is standard, shortly after birth. All of them are gone with the exception of one on a front leg. It must not have been clipped right at the joint and can still be felt although there’s no nail on the end of it. We are watching it to make sure it doesn’t become an issue but my wife has been worried about it due to the fact that she’s going to be a working dog and we’ve always been told that they needed to be removed to prevent injury. We’ll see what she says about the article! Hopefully it will put her at ease a bit.
    I've always been told that dew claws were removed to avoid them being ripped out if getting caught on brush, etc, when out in the field. However, I've never had any of my dog's dew claws removed and never had any issues. I always figured if we were hunting in a particularly brushy field I could always tape his legs if needed.

This Vet makes a good case considering the anatomy involved of the muscles being attached to the tendons that are cut for the removal. From an older thread on another dog forum having a debate on keeping dew claws (or not)...

"Among rehab vets it is felt that dewclaw removal results in a higher incidence of carpal arthritis. The tendons of the dewclaw stabilize multiple rows of bones in the wrist."
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-24-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Dogs have been around long before dew claws were being removed.

Que Sportin’s “could not of happened to a better dew claw”
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

The dewclaw the a dogs damn thumb. I don't understand why the hell someone would remove it other than they don't like being scratched by their lap dog. I see my beagles using their dewclaws to grip while climbing through and over log piles. If a breeder is removing dewclaws it's because he is selling pot lickers...period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    The dewclaw the a dogs damn thumb. I don't understand why the hell someone would remove it other than they don't like being scratched by their lap dog. I see my beagles using their dewclaws to grip while climbing through and over log piles. If a breeder is removing dewclaws it's because he is selling pot lickers...period.
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. Complete idiot. No dewclaw means he is a potlicker?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I have no doubt that many/most 'pot lickers' have had their's removed, however, it's been my experience that many field trialers and sporting dog owners have been following this 'advice/opinion', also. I also have no doubt that this may well have started centuries ago in the show rings (whenever they started).

Anyway, I didn't post this original link to have a long debate, just to pass on what appears to be some good info for fellow dog owners to understand and think about.
    ~ George Washington

I have a Golden with no dew claws and a lab with dew claws. I looked at the research 9 years ago when we got the two pups. Now they are about to turn nine and one is out for the last week of the season with an injured front leg. It’s the lab with dew claws.

The Golden has never really had a problem and I thought I’d start seeing symptoms at about this time of their lives.

It makes sense to leave the dew claws, but I think a lot of factors go into dog injuries and dog longevity

I always trimmed them on 1 day old beagle pups. Used a set of toenail clippers. Give them right back to the mother afterwards and she cleans them up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a lab rip one open in a dove field. My 13 year old lab ripped hers three weeks ago on one of our children’s toys. My puppy had hers removed and I’m happy about it.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    It makes sense to leave the dew claws, but I think a lot of factors go into dog injuries and dog longevity
    There’s no question about this statement about there being a lot of factors involved in longevity,

In regards to your lab’s leg injury, is it at all related to having his dew claws?

I had never really looked into this issue until I ran across that first thread in an email digest today, and after reading up on the anatomy it convinced me that what apparently is a rather minor risk of a dew claw injury isn’t worth the opposite risk. Of course, each person has to determine that for their own dogs environment. I also have always kept my dogs’ claws filed fairly short so that may play a part, I don’t know.

For those of you who have your dogs DC’s clipped or cut out, there was a point made in one of those threads about just cutting off the external claw vs cutting deeper and snipping the ends of tendons. Apparently if you’re just removing the external claw and leaving the tendons alone it doesn’t create the leg torque issues, but I’m not a Vet so hopefully one of ours here can shed some light on that point.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-24-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Good read. Thanks for sharing.

I've owned a lot of working(hunting) dogs and know a LOT of people with hunting dogs. I've never not never heard of people removing dewclaws for fear of the dogs injuring themselves. The practice of removing the dewclaws started with yuppies turning dogs into house pets. They don't like to get scratched when their bad behaved dog jumps up on them and scratches the shit out of them with the dewclaws. I have never heard of a hunting dog injuring their dewclaws....ever. If you need your house pets declawed because they jump up on you them you are a bad dog owner. Train the damn thing not to jump!
    Well make this count #1. My Feist was out chasing squirrels like she had a tendency to do, and somehow just about ripped the dew claw on one of her front legs clean off. She had dew claws all on 4s. Doggy doc sewed her up and bandaged it, said keep it clean, get her to take it easy for a few days and she should be all healed in a few weeks. Never happened again, but until then I'd never heard a first hand account of it happening either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

It isn’t related to dew claws. But it appears to be lower leg muscle sprain. He’s had a couple days of rest and is good to go now

Most folks that buy puppies and don't breed them have no choice in the matter of dew claw removal. Most breeders seem to have them removed. Both of my Boykins had their dew claws removed because that's what the breeder did.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Most folks that buy puppies and don't breed them have no choice in the matter of dew claw removal. Most breeders seem to have them removed. Both of my Boykins had their dew claws removed because that's what the breeder did.
    I'd be willing to bet that if you talked to a breeder before the birth of the litter and agreed to take a pup (pay a down payment, etc), and told him/her you wanted the dew claws left alone, most would agree to do it.

Still waiting and hoping one of our Vets will stop by to explain this question of 'removal of the external nail vs the complete removal and severing of the five tendons, etc'.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that if you talked to a breeder before the birth of the litter and agreed to take a pup (pay a down payment, etc), and told him/her you wanted the dew claws left alone, most would agree to do it.
    Yeah, I'm sure that they would, but I imagine most folks hear about a litter after the pups are born.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

My .02.
    My understanding is that they are removed to prevent tearing injuries while working in the field. I have had several dogs with theirs removed and do not think it caused one bit of issue. They do it very shortly after birth without anesthetic and it is a quick clip and covered w some surgical glue to heal generally without issue. You can still feel the bony part of the digit under the skin after it heals. If you are cutting it, you want to remove the entire nail bed otherwise you will have all sorts of issues with the nail trying to grow back under the skin and I recommend having a professional do this. I am sure there are situations where ppl screw this procedure up and have or cause complications.

I have also seen plenty of working dogs without them removed and have never had issue with it.
    I believe the theory is that it is less traumatic and less expensive to be proactive..... In 17 years in the industry I can not say that I recall seeing a single ripped dew claw but I am sure it happens. Others will chime in at some point but sometimes it is easier to not jump on some of these threads.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk