Thread: Corn Alternatives

Default Corn Alternatives

Admittedly corn is king, but with the floods the past couple of years resulting in ruined, poor, or nonexistent yields, alternatives to corn are a must for us in order to have decent food. The wild rice thread and comments about ducks not liking Rex rice got me thinking, what would this group plant for ducks in tidal, but controlled, rice fields as an alternative to corn? Rice would seem like the obvious choice to me as something that will grow in wet conditions and have the highest yield potential, but I am interested in others experiences and input. Thanks.

I don't know if this has been tried in SC but after hunting the organic rice fields of Texas i can't imagine anything better........
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

I know two groups of guys who have a few different pinds on their property. Each pond is a little different all natural grass and flooded oaks. They never adjust water levels plant or anything. They kill ducks more consistently than most planted ponds.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Nationwide,the top rice producing states are usually also the top states in duck numbers killed ...not a coincidence .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

I new to rice planting but the REX variety has a hard ass husk. It's hard to break open to see the soft seed inside. The ducks could care less about mine. Didn't take long for the husks to spot up with black spots like mold after flooding. Fuck that shit...I'm planting 100% corn from now on. Jap milllet is aight doesn't last long once mature. Between the ducks, geese, and black birds, you get about 2 to three weeks of good numbers then once the seed is gone you are left with a duck desert.

Chiwapa Millet.

Stands through the season, and laughs at wind.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Have heard good things about Chiwapa. Any sources other than specialty seed? Tried to contact them and it seems they may have limited supply if they have it at all this year. Thanks.

Cohelms ag services has it.

Planted some chiwapa in my pond this past year with Milo. Good results. Definitely a better choice if planting only millet.

Is there a difference between chiwapa and golden millet?

I can't say chiwapa without my eyes getting big and hands making karate moves

Quote Originally Posted by LB1 View Post
    Have heard good things about Chiwapa. Any sources other than specialty seed? Tried to contact them and it seems they may have limited supply if they have it at all this year. Thanks.
    Interested as well. Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    Interested as well. Bump.
    It works but you can get hit with Army worms or Aphids and ruin your crop.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

you can buy chiwapa locally.

i think it is different than golden
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I can't say chiwapa without my eyes getting big and hands making karate moves
    Neither can I.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you can buy chiwapa locally.

i think it is different than golden
    Everyone should call and talk to the guy that sells Golden Millet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Where can you buy chiwapa in SC?

Quote Originally Posted by LB1 View Post
    Where can you buy chiwapa in SC?
    You can’t...Specialty Seed Co is the only place I’ve found to sell it in the country and he has a waiting list a mile long, which I am on and I doubt I actually get my seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

That’s what I thought. Should be on the list as well.

well i gotta guy....

i'll text him
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.