Thread: Wild rice seed

Default Wild rice seed

We have a couple over ponds that are currently being drained and we want to plant some wild rice and/or Japanese millet in the shallow parts in the late spring. What else should we consider planting and where is the best place to buy wild rice seed?

River bend custom seed in MO. May have a hard time getting it before spring. Normally we buy it in summer and store it. Got several places were planting it in AR and Illinois this spring. Willow sloughs and beaver ponds
    80-20 Genaration

Dwayne, what else would you recommend planting? Ponds are in Aiken County.

Good luck with the wild rice, don't get your hopes up!
    It is very water quality/site dependent.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I don't know about wild rice but I know ducks don't give a shit about REX rice. Got a good stand of it this year and the ducks didn't touch it. They hit the jap millet good but it didn't take them but about three weeks to eat it all out.

Funny, they like rex variety everywhere else!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Cottontop, check it about 2 weeks after the season. It is gold once they find it.