Thread: Pig Ears

Default Pig Ears

M2's thread got me thinking...

Are pig ears as bad as raw hide?

I would think so. With the specialized breeds and gastrointestinal issues these days I wouldn’t risk it. I watch my best buddy with his relationship to his dogs and you fellas are passionate with them, like kids. A damn old yard dog which I’ve always been accustomed to can eat bricks, cinder blocks, creosote posts, drink diesel fuel, and lick a leaking oil filter on a tractor and live to be 20.

My old eyes thought I was in the grillin and chillin forum when I saw the title. Damn my grandmomma could make some pig ears and rice! Good thing winninghams still sells them

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    M2's thread got me thinking...

Are pig ears as bad as raw hide?
    That's a technical question for a Vet to answer, but I don't use either one of them for my dogs.

I know for certain that a dog's system will NOT digest rawhide/leather, so I don't know what would make pig skin any different.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    That's a technical question for a Vet to answer, but I don't use either one of them for my dogs.

I know for certain that a dog's system will NOT digest rawhide/leather, so I don't know what would make pig skin any different.
    Somewhere on here is a story about someone pulling a tube sock outta his Labs butthole- who was that? I would think a pig ear would pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Somewhere on here is a story about someone pulling a tube sock outta his Labs butthole- who was that? I would think a pig ear would pass.
    If the piece(s) were small enough they would surely pass. And that Lab that passed a tube sock was just lucky that the sock didn't twist into a knot in his system.

My old BLF once ate a rather large piece of rawhide (before our Vet explained why he was charging us $700 for her care, and that was over 25 years ago), and I learned the lesson the hard way. Fortunately she ended up throwing it up and didn't require surgery, but the pancreatitis condition kept her at the Vet's for quite some time.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'