Thread: Traverse city MI

Default Traverse city MI

Headed up to Traverse City this summer to visit the wife’s kin folks. I want to catch a smallmouth while I’m up there. Anyone ever been? If so did you use a guide and who would you suggest.

pretty damn cold up there this time of year. I am in lansing, I will ask around if anyone knows of anything. I work with a girl whose family runs charters out of the Grand Rapids area (I think muskegon), but that's a few hours south of where you will be. I've been meaning to make it up there, supposedly its a very fun city.
    Last edited by abarill; 01-19-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Look up Captain Chad Dilts. His dad is a friend of mine (who used to also guide in MI)
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I've been there but not for fishing. We did get to walk around the waterfront. The place is beautiful. The water is gin clear. We could clearly see the bottom in over 25 feet of water. It was weird to see yachts and big cruisers in fresh water.

The place gets crowded in the summer. If you need hotels, book early.

Waugoshance Point MI is THE place certain times of the year. My brother and cousin used to wade fish there and catch 50-100 smallmouth a day.

It's a drive from Traverse City but might be worth it to freelance.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

We take a golf trip every other year up to Boyne... Some beautiful courses up there and a very welcome escape from the heat and humidity of Charleston in Aug. Heather @ Boyne, Bay Harbor, The Dream and The Nightmare are some amazing courses. We fly in to Petosky/Traverse City.

I realize you were asking about fishing, but if you're a golfer, I would certainly take the opportunity to get a couple rounds in while you're up there.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 01-22-2020 at 02:51 PM.