Thread: What is it

Default What is it

Jigger pole? 8’ long one eye and a reel mount. All wood.
    19338FEB-2F65-4000-81E8-2EBBA92FA410.jpg
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

You take 6 to 8" of heavy line, tie off a skirt and hook, paddle along whipping the tip of the rod on top of the water with the skirted hook trailing. Primarily done at night and produces some big basses...

Old saltwater pier rod.

I didn't think jigger poles had a reel. And if the reel is that far from the butt, the effective length is shorter than any jigger pole I've seen.

How limber is it? Jigger poles are not stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Old saltwater pier rod.
    That makes more sense than a jigger pole.

It’s pretty limber. Something my dad had. He did more freshwater fishing out of Blacks Camp than saltwater.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Looks like a surf rod to me.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

From consulting google, looks like a Montague rod of some sort. Funky looking thing

I hear old timers swear by only using wooden boats.anybody have any stories,I hear you catch the biggest bass and tittybreams that way?

Another reason I doubt it's a jigger rod is that it looks like it's balanced and designed for two handed use. To my knowledge, jigger fishing is a one handed affair since your other hand is busy doing the sculling. I've never seen a jigger rod with a reel but if it did have one, I would think it would be better to have it behind your hand like a fly rod to balance it, not near the middle.

If you get a definitive answer, please post it.

IDK, but I know its cool. Wish I had it in my office.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

It looks like an old cut bait striper / catfish rod. The wrapping for the eyes that were on the rod probably rotted or just came in wrapped and that is why there is only an eye on the tip. Neat rod

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    You take 6 to 8" of heavy line, tie off a skirt and hook, paddle along whipping the tip of the rod on top of the water with the skirted hook trailing. Primarily done at night and produces some big basses...
    That's what I was kinda thinking of too. Saw a guy in a canoe a few years ago with 1 that looked similar and he was killing the bass. He had a lure that looked like a small bird and he would flop it on the surface and the bass would hammer it.
    every expert was once a beginner

There’s an old woman out there that will catch a mess of catfish with that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    That's what I was kinda thinking of too. Saw a guy in a canoe a few years ago with 1 that looked similar and he was killing the bass. He had a lure that looked like a small bird and he would flop it on the surface and the bass would hammer it.
    Looked like a baby wood duck maybe?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

My Great Uncle used to take me jigger fishing when I was younger. We use to catch some huge bass. Basically his poles were a bream buster on steroids. Cut a piece of leather out an old football(family grew up coaching football) that looked like a pork trailer and a fairly large hook. We would work the banks of any pond people let us fish. We would switch turns fishing and if we weren’t fishing, you were responsible for paddling and keeping an eye out for cottonmouths swimming to the light.

Largest fish pulled in was one he caught that weighed 12lb9oz.
    Last edited by SCmudder7071; 01-23-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    IDK, but I know its cool. Wish I had it in my office.
    I got one cooler than that if you are serious. PM me your e-mail and I will take a pic and send it to you. This is a Offshore rod
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I got one cooler than that if you are serious. PM me your e-mail and I will take a pic and send it to you. This is a Offshore rod
    Oh shid! I'm getting sucked into the "bad-ass" vortex! PM coming.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!