Thread: GPS jamming expected in Southeast during military exercise

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default GPS jamming expected in Southeast during military exercise

GPS reception may be unavailable or unreliable over a large portion of the southeastern states and the Caribbean during offshore military exercises scheduled between January 16 and 24.

PDF Link - https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...t_Advisory.pdf

AOPA Link - GPS jamming expected in Southeast during military exercise

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Oh, good grief, no one born after 1990 and most women won't be able to find their way across town.

Back in the early days of public access to GPS, there was a thing called "selective availability". This was the military intentionally distorting the accuracy of GPS info. The military had access to equipment that could detect different frequencies with uncorrupted info. The intent was to keep our enemies from using our GPS for targeting. It sucked when you were offshore and hoping to drop anchor on a secret hot spot and find out you were way off because of SA. GPS manufacturers tried to augment the GPS info by providing ground based signals (WAAS) that could correct for the erroneous GPS info. Finally, the government realized it was fruitless to try to keep the general public and industry from benefiting from the magic of GPS and let the signals out for everyone to use.

It will be very interesting to see how much effect this military exercise has on general transportation. The Coast Guard needs to be on high alert to help find all the sea captains that can't find their way back to the continent without GPS.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 01-17-2020 at 07:40 AM.

I think this only applies to aviation
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by smallwater View Post
    Oh, good grief, no one born after 1990 and most women won't be able to find their way across town.
    Damn Truth.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Back in the early days of public access to GPS, there was a thing called "selective availability". This was the military intentionally distorting the accuracy of GPS info. The military had access to equipment that could detect different frequencies with uncorrupted info. The intent was to keep our enemies from using our GPS for targeting. It sucked when you were offshore and hoping to drop anchor on a secret hot spot and find out you were way off because of SA. GPS manufacturers tried to augment the GPS info by providing ground based signals (WAAS) that could correct for the erroneous GPS info. Finally, the government realized it was fruitless to try to keep the general public and industry from benefiting from the magic of GPS and let the signals out for everyone to use.

It will be very interesting to see how much effect this military exercise has on general transportation. The Coast Guard needs to be on high alert to help find all the sea captains that can't find their way back to the continent without GPS.
    First thing that came to mind was well that could make fishing get real interesting if you werent planning for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure hope they are still teaching VOR and ADF navigation in flight schools.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Featherduster View Post
    I think this only applies to aviation
    I don't think that would be possible. The signals come from geosynchronous satellites. If they are jamming the signals that means all GPS receivers will be affected. The reason the AOPA and FAA is warning pilots is because planes are more vulnerable to the loss of GPS in flight without warning.

I'm thinking the military is jamming the signal to test their jamming capabilities. You can bet they have something much better than GPS that they depend on. The accepted rule of thumb is that the military is 25 years ahead of the civvie world in technology. Since it's pretty much a given that anytime they release a technology to the civilian world they already have something much better and more advanced to replace it. For instance, GPS was developed in 1959 and implemented by the Navy for the first time in 1960. It wasn't released publicly until 1989 but it was a purposefully degraded version. It was 2000 before the public was allowed to own accurate GPS devices.

Might suck for Uber trips too.

The US version of precision navigation and timing is the Navstar birds. They fly in MEO vice GEO. The signal they transmit is easily jammed. I find it hard to believe they are doing this on a range out west. Lots of devices which you dont normally think about use the signal for precise timing.

This is why a dual GPS/GLONASS receiver is on my list...

they may lose 15-20 offshore boats if this was done in the summer.

We were on our way in from the G-town hole one afternoon and passed a center console heading out. Captain called them on the radio and asked where they were heading. They said " to the hill." He asked them which one because they were heading out to sea due south. They said nope their GPS was showing dead north and they were heading in.

Captain asked, "when you left the hill this morning, what side of the boat was the sun on?"

"Now, what side of the boat is the sun on?"

They stopped dead in the water, turned around and followed us in. They didn't have anything on the boat that wasn't digital.

Does anyone use ANY navigation anymore?

Those boys would have run out of gas God knows where out there all because they didn't have a $3 compass.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Self driving cars could get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro92 View Post
    The US version of precision navigation and timing is the Navstar birds. They fly in MEO vice GEO. The signal they transmit is easily jammed. I find it hard to believe they are doing this on a range out west. Lots of devices which you dont normally think about use the signal for precise timing.
    You are correct. The AF put the final 27th sat (3 to be used as spares) up in 1995. The idea for GPS came from MIT scientists watching the Russian Sputnik project. It gave them the idea for a positioning system based on radio waves.

Here's a timeline:

♦ 1957: Russia launches Sputnik. The satellite gives MIT scientists the idea for a positioning system based on radio signals.

♦ 1959: The U.S. Navy builds TRANSIT, the first navigation system to really rely on satellites.

♦ 1963: A study is completed by the Aerospace Corporation for the U.S. Military. This proposed the idea for satellites to send continuous signals to receivers to locate moving vehicles on earth and in the air. This marks the beginning of the system we know today.

♦ 1974: Testing begins on the Military-created GPS system NAVSTAR. The proposed NAVSTAR system included 24 satellites.

♦ 1978-1985: Testing continued on the NAVSTAR system. During this period, the system begins to be referred to as simply “The GPS System.” By this point, atomic clocks had been added to help provide more precise measurements.

♦ 1983: In response to Russia shooting down a plane, President Ronald Reagan offers GPS services to all commercial aircraft once the system is completed. This was offered to enhance safety.

♦ 1985: The U.S. Government begins contracts with private companies to develop GPS receivers.

♦ 1989: The first fully-operational GPS satellite is launched into space by the U.S. Air Force.

♦ 1989: Hand-held navigation devices appear in the US market. Magellan NAV 1000 is thought to be the first.

♦ 1995: The last of 27 satellites is launched. Three of these were to be used as spares for when repairs needed to be made. These satellites were specifically positioned so at least four would be visible from any place on earth at all times.

♦ 1999: GPS-enabled cell phones become commercially available for the first time.

♦ 2000: The U.S. Government revokes a plan from 1990 that purposely made GPS less accurate as a defensive mechanism. As accuracy skyrocketed, many industries, including forestry, fishing, and freight management, started using GPS.

♦ 2001: Personal GPS products surge, including in-car navigation systems.

GPS III adds 10 more satellites addressing jamming with final launch in 2023

GPS III follow on contract was let in 2018 for 22 more satellites (increased capability) with first launch in 2026.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I don't think that would be possible. The signals come from geosynchronous satellites. If they are jamming the signals that means all GPS receivers will be affected. The reason the AOPA and FAA is warning pilots is because planes are more vulnerable to the loss of GPS in flight without warning.
    Wonder why they list altitudes then? It's 180nm at 50ft AGL, 241nm at 4000ft AGL, up to 400NM and 40000ft AGL.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    they may lose 15-20 offshore boats if this was done in the summer.

We were on our way in from the G-town hole one afternoon and passed a center console heading out. Captain called them on the radio and asked where they were heading. They said " to the hill." He asked them which one because they were heading out to sea due south. They said nope their GPS was showing dead north and they were heading in.

Captain asked, "when you left the hill this morning, what side of the boat was the sun on?"

"Now, what side of the boat is the sun on?"

They stopped dead in the water, turned around and followed us in. They didn't have anything on the boat that wasn't digital.

Does anyone use ANY navigation anymore?

Those boys would have run out of gas God knows where out there all because they didn't have a $3 compass.
    A lot of guys never look at their compass heading out or in. Ride to the sun and chase it, you’ll get home as long as you keep it in the same position.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013