Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R3.....

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I think the hunter decline Delta preaches is isolated to certain geographic areas. Hunter decline is obviously not an issue here. But I have no data other federal duck stamp sales, which are hard to refute since whereever in America you hunt you gotta have one.

As an example in the 1949-50 season there were almost 2 million fed stamps sold, where as in 2017-18 was only 1.5M. A ~30% decline over 70 years shows a slow but steady decline. Quite alarming when 2nd amendment rights are coming under even more scrutiny than ever. Less hunters quieter that voice is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If you actually put the numbers in a spreadsheet and graph it, you don't really see that. Over the entire life of the duck stamp program, the average has been about 1.6 million duck stamps per year sold. If you look at it over the last 40 years, the average is about 1.5 million stamps per year. The only 2 decades where average sales were above 2 million per year were the 50s and the 70s.

The cost of a duck stamp was $2 in the 50s and $5 in the 70s. Its now $25. It only makes sense that as the price rises, you sell fewer of them.
    Last edited by Lynchmob; 01-16-2020 at 03:18 PM.

The cost of a duck stamp was $2 in the 50s and $5 in the 70s. Its now $25. It only makes sense that as the price rises, you sell fewer of them.[/QUOTE]

Adjusted for inflation, the $5 cost in 70's equates to $33.12 in today's dollars. So technically duck stamps are cheaper now.

From the USFW Hunting and Fishing consensus.

National data

2011- 13.7 million hunters spent 36 Billion. 202,000 traveled out of state to hunt.

2106- 11.5 million hunters spent 26.2 Billion.

SC Data

2011- 254,000 hunters spent 505,311,000 on hunting of that 63,000 hunted migratory birds and spent 126,327,750.
    Last edited by Strick9; 01-16-2020 at 08:58 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

I think less are hunting and more are fishing. And that doesn't mean there are less members in your lease.
    Think global
    I think the social media and dead animal pics are pressuring the younger generation to not hunt.
    The exception is you and I and our kids, but society as a whole isn't the same as it was 20 years ago
    due to social media and libs
    As an example; how many landowners would let you hunt their land 40 years ago
    but now the same landowners' kid's want you locked up for looking at it
    Last edited by ecu1984; 01-16-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I think less are hunting and more are fishing. And that doesn't mean there are less members in your lease.
    Think global
    I think the social media and dead animal pics are pressuring the younger generation to not hunt.
    The exception is you and I and our kids, but society as a whole isn't the same as it was 20 years ago
    due to social media and libs
    As an example; how many landowners would let you hunt their land 40 years ago
    but now the same landowners' kid's want you locked up for looking at it
    Not only social media but a lot of the idiots that spin off of the conservation crowd. The QDMA fan boys with all the swag, a 300 acre lease with "strict management" by killing 50 does, cull bucks and 15" wide 8points or better. Or the people who will publicly shame someone who kills trash ducks or hens. There are so many know it all asshats now that if you are not doing what they are doing you are wrong. The fellowship is gone from hunting now. Or at least the respect for your fellow hunter. When you have a lease, what goes on in the other side of the property line is none of your business. If it is legal and is done on their property, then do not worry about it. The wildlife are not yours. The more people bitch about killing, whatever, the more it is going to drive people away. The anti's do not even need to fight us anymore, we are doing their work for them.

The perception of hunters is something entirely different now. Most folks have no idea where their food comes from or even what it is. Back in the day people hunted to feed their family. Even if they did not hunt, they probably knew someone who did. It was a way of life. Most states you cannot kill enough deer to fill a freezer. Folks hunt now for sport, relaxation or the thrill. Whatever your reason is, you have to be mindful of other people who have never experienced it. A shot up bleeding deer is not what a lot of people want to see. Just like anything else education is the key to winning the center the anti's are against us. No changing that. The key to staying around is by making sure the folks who do not care one way or the other are well informed.
    Last edited by NannySlayer; 01-17-2020 at 12:00 AM.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

SC is crowded up with hunters/fisherman. If you don't think that, you don't get out much or stay on private. There may be "less" people hunting according to the stats, but there is also a lot less land/area for the people to hunt on.

Quote Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
    Not only social media but a lot of the idiots that spin off of the conservation crowd. The QDMA fan boys with all the swag, a 300 acre lease with "strict management" by killing 50 does, cull bucks and 15" wide 8points or better. Or the people who will publicly shame someone who kills trash ducks or hens. There are so many know it all asshats now that if you are not doing what they are doing you are wrong. The fellowship is gone from hunting now. Or at least the respect for your fellow hunter. When you have a lease, what goes on in the other side of the property line is none of your business. If it is legal and is done on their property, then do not worry about it. The wildlife are not yours. The more people bitch about killing, whatever, the more it is going to drive people away. The anti's do not even need to fight us anymore, we are doing their work for them.

The perception of hunters is something entirely different now. Most folks have no idea where their food comes from or even what it is. Back in the day people hunted to feed their family. Even if they did not hunt, they probably knew someone who did. It was a way of life. Most states you cannot kill enough deer to fill a freezer. Folks hunt now for sport, relaxation or the thrill. Whatever your reason is, you have to be mindful of other people who have never experienced it. A shot up bleeding deer is not what a lot of people want to see. Just like anything else education is the key to winning the center the anti's are against us. No changing that. The key to staying around is by making sure the folks who do not care one way or the other are well informed.
    I know what you mean there. I call them "deer nazis".

While we as hunters are not seeking more competition for game we must remain ethical in the eyes of the public. They far outnumber us. The environmentalists, strict conservationists, and anti-hunters are using the schools to indoctrinate the minds of our youth. The flight to the inner city and man-shaming has transformed our men.

I am glad we passed the right to hunt constitutional amendment in SC. Our population has doubled since 1970 and is running 15% each decade. "They ain't from around here."
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Hard to remain ethical in the eyes of anyone (who gets it) if you support releasing tame mallards....let’s start there.

I am sure it varies from place to place, but the public rivers seem to be more crowded than ever at least over the last 20 years since I started hunting on them (I am 34). I now rarely hunt public ducks in SC, and will hunt private maybe 2-3x a year when invited. For me living in Charleston (and this is just how I personally feel) it is not generally worth it to drive an hour one way any direction burning fuel and putting miles on my truck in the middle of the night to beat someone to a spot in the cold and rain to maybe shoot a handful of birds. Convenience and free time or lack of, is my main deterrent these days. Lack of free time also means lack of time to scout. I also no longer have a dog and travel too much to start over. Add in the above factors to have your morning ruined by others piling in on top of you and I think I will sleep in, and spend time with my family.
    Someone else mentioned the whole basis of hunting earlier as well. While it started as needing to get food, that has long past. It is now a sport for 99.9%. As more and more people live in and move to cities, hunting becomes less available.
    As to duck numbers, or any wildlife numbers I think we can all agree that habitat loss is a major contributor. Also with what appears to be a time of warmer than usual weather, the birds dont seem to show up like they used to. In the past 2 years I think I have shot maybe 10 ducks in SC, so I am not leading to their destruction thats for sure .
    I started adding up the cost, and time vs birds harvested on public plus the headache factor and found it more worthwhile to go west. I enjoy it, but hate that my duck season has basically been crammed into 7-10 consecutive days in October and then I am done. I do however, kill more birds in a week than I ever did in any single season in SC.
    As far as recruiting hunters.... Im not sure how I feel about that. I am all for hunters introducing their own children but even that is tough for already mentioned reasons in this post. People are generally having less children, and we all seem to get busier and busier doing other things.
    I don’t feel the need to personally try to recruit other adults to hunt if they don’t already. Maybe this is a short sided feeling as well but if hunting goes away after my lifetime or after I am able to hunt, should I be concerned? If we all quit hunting for a year or two would duck numbers drastically increase? Isnt that what we all want? Or we just want that to kill more ducks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good example of my experience with DU fundraising.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    How many people bought an extra stamp for their collection back in the 60's and 70's when people actually collected things? I bet not many of the ones sold these days are ending up in a collection. Just a thought.
    I’ve been buying stamps now for about 12 years and all of them still. Gonna have to figure out how to display them them one day