Thread: online bachelor's degree

Default online bachelor's degree

I figured this place was as good as any to start a little research on the subject.

Who on here has done it?
    Average cost?
    Length of time to complete?
    Are there any scholarships available for online study?

school me
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Do it, it can only benefit your resume value.
    The number one reason I say that is, there are jobs that a prerequisite is a BS degree.
    Mix in your work experience w/ the degree and it will open opportunity.
    Simple as that and I am sure the guys will pile on with the "student debt isn't worth it"
    bull crap and the on-line is just as good as on-campus for qualifying for the interview.
    Its all about getting the interview

What are you looking at majoring in? Is it to move to another company or progress at your own? Most of your questions will be pretty specific to the program you choose. Typically a bachelors should be no shorter than 3 years depending on major. Each one is different in regards to credit hours. Typically you can manage around 36 credit hours or more a year if you’re looking at putting some time and effort towards it (that is if they let you choose your own workload).

I did it through Columbia Southern University. They let me use military and fire schools to go towards credit hours. It was $650 per course I believe, and it typically takes 40 courses to get 120 credit hours. So it would be $26000 if you had to take all 40. Uncle Sam paid for mine with the GI Bill. I thought it was easy, but very time consuming. I did find the math very hard, but I had not taken a math class since 9th grade in 1982.

Not only might a degree help you get a particular job but it may also keep you from running into a ceiling later on in your career. It shouldn't be that way because advancement should be based on proven merit but some position descriptions are written with a degree requirement.

I would suggest to pick a school that has a brick and mortar campus somewhere rather than a strictly on-line "campus".
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Just a thought, if you can do night school, the potential networking will surprise you. The number of friends I have the got employed/started businesses/pulled clients from who they went to school with is staggering. Myself included and I think it is one of the most beneficial reasons to go to college.

University of North Dakota has 100% online degrees

So this comes about from some night classes I was taking this past Fall. I have 3 associate degrees ( building construction technology, industrial electronics, and mechatronics) and a SC builders license. I had the opportunity to take some HVAC classes this past semester at no cost. I did well in the classes and got my EPA certification and the instructor was talking with me about coming back for the spring semester. I enjoyed the classes but when looking at a potential graduation plan for the HVAC degree I really started thinking that I could finish an online bachelors program in close to the same amount of time. Plus it would look better on a resume.

I haven't decided on a specific degree yet, but some type of business emphasis I'm sure.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Not sure what your making now but that megatronics degree should be getting you close to 100k with experience.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Limestone has online and brick and mortar, real school not made up to sell online degrees. they were pioneers in online classes because they had a professor who was an early Guru in internet class. Been in business since the 1840's ! Also use satellite campus structure and do a block program so you study one subject at a time.
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

My wife is doing it through Anderson right now. $5600/ semester for 12 credit hours. Plus books and fees.

But what is your goal? Sounds like you want to be a student. If you are looking for another career path then do it if you can afford it.

I also have my EPA 608 type I II and III license. I got it during undergrad. I also will most likely never use it besides maybe buying some Freon for personal use. My suggestion is to tailor your undergrad towards what you want to do and to build off of your previous education and experience. It seems like you’re already in the right direction but I would definitely choose a bachelor rather than another associate. You can have all the degrees in the world but what matters is whether they can be realistically helpful. Think about what job you want and the resume you give the employer. Is the bachelor program that you are looking at going to contribute to that? A lot of people these days get a degree and do something completely different. More power to them but I look at an education as an investment and without a solid plan before choosing a major there is the tendency for someone to not reap the benefits of that investment.
    Last edited by cam1195; 01-15-2020 at 10:06 PM.

I wouldn’t trade my Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering for anything. Opens many door ways I never dreamed where possible.

Dedicate the time and invest. Get close to completion and some companies will give tuition assistance as you begin the new career.

Caterpillar is right down the road from you and a great employer. They are hiring at the Hodges plant.

mechatronics might be the coolest sounding thing....ever
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

mechatronics might be the coolest sounding thing....ever
    Isn't he friends with Optimus Prime?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

"sometimes, I hang out with Ralph"

^indeed

unless I had a friend named Optimus Prime.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I would suggest to pick a school that has a brick and mortar campus somewhere rather than a strictly on-line "campus".
    This.

I completed a bachelor's in Technical Mgmt through Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Worldwide program. I highly recommend it. I already had an Associate's degree in avionics systems technology, and with me being in aviation in the AF Reserves it just made sense. They transferred in virtually everything I had previously completed at other schools, as well as other classes they crossed off for completing the NCO Academy and other leadership courses. After they tallied up all the stuff I transferred in, I had a year and a half to finish. Went non-stop till I got some. 10wk courses, 2 at a time was considered full-time. ~$1000 per course. I had GI Bill paying for mine so cost wasn't an issue.

With Embry-Riddle being an aviation geared school pretty much all their classes tie back in aviation somehow, even economics. But a degree from them does not box you into the aviation industry. As y'all know I'm in Sales for Spectrum Business. Without that degree I wouldn't have this job.

Bachelors is a binary question mostly. Do you have one or not? That's why so many jobs say "bachelor's degree required" but never mention what the degree needs to be in. It doesn't matter, just gotta have one. It proves 2 basic things: you can be trained, and you can start something and stick with it long enough to see it through. You probably won't retain much, and that's ok. An employer is gonna train you what you need to know on the job.

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-16-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

If you are good with time management, you’ll be fine doing online. Your degree won’t state that you earned it online. Do YOU.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie