Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hen Ducks

Default hen Ducks

I see a lot of you show offs on Facebook and Insta posting your 3 day hunt from whatever cool name lodge you went and paid big money to shoot with 7 other people in the blind. I got a question for y’all.

Why in the hell do y’all shoot hens? I understand one or two but I’ve been seeing stacks, like 50/50 hens to drakes.

If your not picking out drakes you suck at duck hunting and conservation

Rant over
    Windows Down!

They may suck at hunting but has nothing to do with conservation...

https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editoria...females/280303

I’ll summarize: There is no evidence to support that not shooting hens increases duck populations.
    Formerly DM88

Just boarded a plane going to OKLAHOMA to duck hunt. I’m going to shoot a hen for you Raybird.

Reading between the lines here....Are you saying that guided hunts are so good that you should be able to kill a drake only limit pretty much every time?
    In my experience on guided hunts and private clubs the members are more worried about shooting their limit and getting out of the field early if possible. The majority could care less if the kill a widgeon or a ring neck and do a terrible job of identifying species much less gender. They generally just shoot at whatever duck is the closest. With that said, it’s naive to say that you should be able to limit out on drakes just because you are paying. That’s not reality.

Shoot the hens, stomp the eggs. My granddaddy didnt save me any buffalo.
    Last edited by 12341234; 01-11-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Shoot the hens, stomp the eggs. My granddaddy didnt save me any buffalo.
    Nobody said anything about roaming the PPR and stomping nests... You can certainly make an argument that shooting drakes and not hens is the more ‘noble’ and gentlemanly thing to do. They definitely make for a better photo op. But, it does nothing to increase or maintain waterfowl populations.
    Formerly DM88

I completely agree with the guy who made this post. When I go to duckland, I shoot greenheads. That’s why I make that terrible drive and that’s what the hell I’m gonna shoot.

A couple of my boys got all pissy when I wouldn’t call the shot on a flock of hens that kept coming into the decoys. They’re more in the egg stomper camp.

I mean it might happen occasionally, but it doesn't deserve attention.. Social media is weird. I typed a bunch of stuff that really doesn't matter.. so I backed it out, It made me look haughty.

Ain’t gonna lie. 90% of our bag today was hens.
    867-5309

I personally try to avoid shooting hens but it happens, but that is just my preference. Why does it matter what someone else does if it’s legal and ethical? It really isn’t any of your business.

It's the fact that they're showing it off.. moped

I agree with the whole minding one’s own business thing, but it’s a lot of fun to break balls.

I think it depends on the situation. If I’m hunting on a lake in upstate SC and a drake and hen mallard come in a pair, you better believe I will do my best to kill both without a second thought. If I am out west and the birds are there, why not try and shoot all drakes.
    Formerly DM88

I didn't realize anybody on here duck hunted.

Do they have to be 5 - 6 years old too?

I love hens...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Is legal and they eat the same
    80-20 Genaration

Hens are almost as beautiful as the drakes. If I make a trip I'm aiming for green, but if the ducks are slow best believe I'm blasting Suzy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Why in the hell do y’all shoot hens?
    Because it's legal.

Last year someone attempted to shame me for killing 200+ ducks.....why? I was well within my legal right, my daily and annual possession limit.

America, the land of the free and the home of the offended........who try to force their personal convictions on others.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I try to shoot drakes only. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes there is collateral on a drake shot.

Upland birds, besides a pheasant, I will admit it's tough to pick out drakes in a hurry.

Woodcock, I can't tell at all.