Thread: Threading a 10/22 barrel

Default Threading a 10/22 barrel

Anyone have any experience doing this? I have been searching around and it sounds like it can be done. I may have to cut the end of barrel off as the sight block is a part of the barrel. My neighbor is a very talented mechanic and says he can thread or change threads on anything I want. I am considering having a go at it. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It needs to be done in a lathe.

The threads need to be concentric to the bore.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Just buy a threaded aftermarket barrel. You can get a hunting barrel for $100 - $150 if you shop around. I've seen them on ebay for as little as $85.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-11-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

If you are doing it for a silencer and want to go first class, get a Gemtech Mist integrally suppressed barrel. Mine is quieter than a pellet rifle and doesn't look different than a bull barrel. It's one of my favorite guns and gets more trigger time than any other.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If you are doing it for a silencer and want to go first class, get a Gemtech Mist integrally suppressed barrel. Mine is quieter than a pellet rifle and doesn't look different than a bull barrel. It's one of my favorite guns and gets more trigger time than any other.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    That gemtech mist looks pretty cool.
    Only downside I see is not being able to swap it to other rifles (.17, .22WMR) or other pistols.
    I love how silent a .22 is suppressed. Makes it very enjoyable. I cant personally speak to
    .17 or .22WMR noise reductions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with .17 hmr suppressed? Is it worth doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Anyone have experience with .17 hmr suppressed? Is it worth doing?
    Comfortable without protection but no where near “quiet.”
    Carolina Counsel

A .17 bullet is only 17 or 20 grains. If you slow it down to subsonic, you are essentially shooting about the same energy as a heavier bullet from a pellet rifle, except it's ten time more expensive. Even a 40 grain subsonic pill from a .22 is fairly weak. A subsonic 22 magnum hits just as hard as a subsonic 22 LR.

Supersonic is not a heck of a lot quieter. The sonic boom is the loudest part of the shot.

It also takes all your long range target skills and compresses them into 100 yards. If I have mine zeroed at 50 yards and it is about 5 MOA low at 100. At 200 yards, you can take your head off the scope after the shot and watch with your naked eye before it hits.