Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hen Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    I measure the success of a season by a few key points, total number of ducks killed isn’t one of them. Seasons where I kill no hens, is a very good season in my book. To each his own, but I’d much rather hold up one nice plumed drake for a picture than 6 scraggly drakes or hens. All eat the same yes, but I’m a weirdo like most duck hunters, just different reasons. If I shoot a bird I want to mount, or just clean up for pictures, I’ll sit and pluck brown feathers until it looks better.

Hunted Washington state in 2012 with some like minded guys, and one guy’s wife. Five of us total. Shot over 150 ducks in five days. 100 ducks were Wigeon. Of the total number, 9 were hens.
    Top picture is California 2011.
    Attachment 52608

Attachment 52609
    difference is you don't start threads trying to sound sanctimonious and superior calling out others who don't see it the same way as you like this ignorant jackass did in the OP
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by OffshoreDuck21 View Post
    I don’t think anyone goes out with the sole purpose to kill hens. In a perfect world we would all kill drakes, all the time. The original post is asinine.
    When they released the data about releasing all the hen ringers with radio trackers, that may have been the case.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    How about a return to the points system, where a hen mallard is a 100 points. Shoot her first in a 100 point system your done for the day
    How about no more complicated dipshit game laws ?

I shoot drakes, if we shoot all the drakes we shoot hens, if drakes don’t show hens die.

ducks is ducks

Shoot whatever is legal. and be proud.
    (but realize that you are the tour pro of your putt putt league)

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

One of my Tennessee hunting buddies favorite stories of me was one from the Outer Banks. We were hunting an open water stake blind with Barry Sawyer. Hadn’t been any early morning flights of “big ducks” so Barry went to go put out some Bufflehead decoys. While doing so, a group of 15-20 Redheads were coming at us. Sun was still coming up and made picking out drakes very tough. My buddy looked back at me as we fixing to take our shots, and he said the look on my face was sheer panic, as I hadn’t spotted a drake yet. He will shoot anything and everything so he jumped up and shot twice, I found a drake as they reacted to the shots, and dropped one, Barry grabbed his gun, and picked off two more on their way out. Finished the morning on Buffleheads. I stuck to my drakes only, my buddy shot whatever, and talked crap to me for not being a “stone cold lady killer”. As long as you’re legal, have at it.

1C703930-8E63-4F24-82CA-66DA2B68982A.jpg

It sure can't hurt to leave the hens alone.

Don't ducks pair up and remain fairly monogamous? If you shoot a drake, will his mate hen pair up with another single drake to breed or has the dating season past? If there are many more hens after the season than drakes, will drakes service more than one mate?

I can understand not shooting hen turkeys or quail but I'm not sure it makes much difference on birds that pair up.

I remember when shooting a doe was considered sacrilege.

I’d sure love to be beating myself up about killing too many hens this season right about now....

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Don't ducks pair up and remain fairly monogamous? If you shoot a drake, will his mate hen pair up with another single drake to breed or has the dating season past? If there are many more hens after the season than drakes, will drakes service more than one mate?

I can understand not shooting hen turkeys or quail but I'm not sure it makes much difference on birds that pair up.

She will be gang raped if she is not paired and sometimes even if she is...

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    I’d sure love to be beating myself up about killing too many hens this season right about now....
    You ain't lyin!

When I got duck hunting I do not go to shoot drakes only. I go to shoot ducks. I don’t care for divers though. I think they are no challenge and anyone can kill them. I’ll kill a redhead or a can but they don’t get me excited anymore.

And for anyone who shoots just drakes, they shouldn’t go goose hunting or they are a hypocrite.

Same with people that refuse to water swat, but don’t yell at a deer to get it running before they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I get a kick out of QDMAers that are trying to grow big bucks when they tell me they shoot does post pre-rut. Why you would shoot a doe that is potentially carrying the next giant is beyond me

My grandad told me when I first started deer hunting that you can’t eat antlers. That sunk in and I have killed many a doe with a decent buck in the field. Don’t get me wrong I’ll shoot a buck if it’s a good one and sometimes I just get in the mood. As for ducks, I will try and pick out a drake on the first shot but after that it’s whatever else happens to be in range. But Saturday morning I did water whack a hen mallard at 5 yards. As tough as this season has been the hell with being picky.

You can't eat the antlers but you can eat the extra 40 pounds of meat on a buck.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That’s a valid point, unless it’s a dirt neck shooting a spike just to say he killed a buck. I’d just prefer to watch them time and time again than shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I get a kick out of QDMAers that are trying to grow big bucks when they tell me they shoot does post pre-rut. Why you would shoot a doe that is potentially carrying the next giant is beyond me
    I’ve never understood this mindset. Hate to break this to ya but if you shoot her before the rut she ain’t gonna get pregnant either......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.