Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hen Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Because it's legal.

Last year someone attempted to shame me for killing 200+ ducks.....why? I was well within my legal right, my daily and annual possession limit.

America, the land of the free and the home of the offended........who try to force their personal convictions on others.
    Those same people wouldn’t think twice about species if they were in a Tupelo swamp waxing limits of gadwall. I think beyond just hens, it is hens of specific species (mallards in particular) that people make those types of comments about.
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Those same people wouldn’t think twice about species if they were in a Tupelo swamp waxing limits of gadwall. I think beyond just hens, it is hens of specific species (mallards in particular) that people make those types of comments about.
    Bullshit! Along with the ideas that killing hens doesn’t matter.

I never shoot at a hen of any variety that is identifiable. And you want catch me hunting early in Canada either.
    Windows Down!

Thank you!!!
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Bullshit! Along with the ideas that killing hens doesn’t matter.

I never shoot at a hen of any variety that is identifiable. And you want catch me hunting early in Canada either.
    It’s not my idea that killing hens doesn’t matter...
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Thank you!!!
    How do you know he didn’t just take a pic without the hens

They put bands on hens for a reason,....even $100 reward bands.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 12341234; 01-11-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Nice stack, bo.

Remember way back we had some sort of adopt a pot hole thing with delta and people sent in $5 for every Hen they killed

I don’t mean everyone but seems like there was a good many of us on here that did
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Did our best to pick out the drakes, few hens were collateral damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Drakes make better pics

I measure the success of a season by a few key points, total number of ducks killed isn’t one of them. Seasons where I kill no hens, is a very good season in my book. To each his own, but I’d much rather hold up one nice plumed drake for a picture than 6 scraggly drakes or hens. All eat the same yes, but I’m a weirdo like most duck hunters, just different reasons. If I shoot a bird I want to mount, or just clean up for pictures, I’ll sit and pluck brown feathers until it looks better.

Hunted Washington state in 2012 with some like minded guys, and one guy’s wife. Five of us total. Shot over 150 ducks in five days. 100 ducks were Wigeon. Of the total number, 9 were hens.
    Top picture is California 2011.
    B2730297-F303-4426-8131-C7A157B13721.jpeg

3B346FDB-3AF2-4C00-A22E-B116743C04E5.jpeg
    Last edited by BEAR; 01-11-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Raybird and Bear - Last time I brought this subject up here, I was gutted with a dull knife. I pass on a lot of shots in bad light or overcast days because I can't sex the bird, my choice. The law says you can legally shoot hens, dead hens will never raise another brood. Bill Goff, aka Moon, passed that part of waterfowling on to me and it stuck. If y'all never met him you missed out. He was the Man on Santee and Broad River back in the day!

None of y'all must shoot teal in September then either.

How many hens / drakes?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I don’t think anyone goes out with the sole purpose to kill hens. In a perfect world we would all kill drakes, all the time. The original post is asinine.

Save the does. No does, no deer.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieJim View Post
    Raybird and Bear - Last time I brought this subject up here, I was gutted with a dull knife. I pass on a lot of shots in bad light or overcast days because I can't sex the bird, my choice. The law says you can legally shoot hens, dead hens will never raise another brood. Bill Goff, aka Moon, passed that part of waterfowling on to me and it stuck. If y'all never met him you missed out. He was the Man on Santee and Broad River back in the day!
    Had the privilege of knowing and hunting with Moon on many occasions. Actually shot doves with him a few days before he passed. He was as one of the most knowledgeable hunters I ever met and loved passing on his knowledge to the younger generation and wanted to see them doing it “right”. Will always remember him and his sidekick Ricky.

How about a return to the points system, where a hen mallard is a 100 points. Shoot her first in a 100 point system your done for the day