Thread: First OOS turkey hunt.

Default First OOS turkey hunt.

I’ve never travelled to kill turkeys before, but rupturing my Achilles this winter has side lined me for any out of state duck opportunities.

I like to travel once a year to get out and I think this leg will be right about the time turkeys are too.

That being said, what are a few good states for a first time DIY turkey hunters to start looking into. I would prefer public land and Florida is not on the top of my list of places to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

If I could pick one state I’d go to WY. WY is one bird so I’d slip into SD and MT if time allows

Absolutely gorgeous out there in the Black Hills.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Kansas has lots of stupid turkeys if that's what you're looking for.

KS is my go to state.
    More fuel = more boost!!

If you want to kill as many as possible, find rios. (OK, KS, NE). If you want scenery, hunt merriams. (WY, SD, MT, WA). Studying maps and planning the logistics is half of the fun. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help via pm.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Easiest turkey's I ever killed where in Texas. They are eat slam up with them.

Start by purchasing properly matched sets of bottomland camo systems. Then you need to study up on bourbon whisky. You don't need some that other hunters passive aggressively turn their nose up to. Go for something lesser known and extremely expensive that you can whip out "around the camp fire" and then passive aggressively badger those around you for "never trying it". Also, practice saying "old boy" after every single sentence that comes out of your mouth
    Last edited by Sportin' Woodies; 01-10-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Start by purchasing properly matched sets of bottomland camo systems. Then you need to study up on bourbon whisky. You don't need some that other hunters passive aggressively turn their nose up to. Go for something lesser known and extremely expensive that you can whip out "around the camp fire" and then passive aggressively badger those around you for "never trying it". Also, practice saying "old boy" after every single sentence that comes out of your mouth
    Ol Boy has no "D"
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    This is the treasure chest of knowledge I was really after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Do you want to drive or fly?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Definitely drive.

Wyoming is a little far, if I had that kind of time I would go chase spring bear. I'm thinking Kansas/Nebraska would be about the line of drive time.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Ol Boy has no "D"
    That’s what SHE said.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Might check but I think Kansas just changed their limit to one bird in all but 2 of their zones.