Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cat 1 WMA budget hearing

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Duck Tape- why don’t you go out there and see for yourself and see what they are dealing with, instead of pontificating about beavers and technology?
    BTW- they have some great young guys out there running equipment and running hunts. I have yet to hear one complain about no being able to do something, unless it’s Something completely out of their hands.

If you’ve never seen the ocean, don’t describe to me what standing in the Atlantic Ocean feels like.
    I concur! I know a few of the fellas at SCR and Samworth and they are all very capable. But the problem lies in the fact that most of them, if not all, are not being compensated for their abilities. Wildlife Managers as with anything are a “you get what you pay for” deal. I believe the state should take a long hard look at what the salary for position like a Tech 2 or 3 is and make some changes to insure that the salary is commensurate with the caliber of Tech they are expected to hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Operators are not payed a "tech salary" from what I understand ( correct me if wrong but its more than smidge better than tech salary) Even then state operators aren't paid the same as an operator for say Boeing / Gulf Stream et al. Also to take into consideration is the amount of days off, holidays, retirement, health insurance etc when working for the state vs private enterprise.

Certainly the state needs to pay better for highly skilled operators. I know several folks at most of the CAT 1s as well, for those who also know staff on the inside , you gotta be hearing the same about certain folks that I am. We have some duck hunters working in those positions in many places and I would think its all same circle/ same observation.

I can't get behind selling of state lands when it concerns valuable habitat just to watch such become the next development. I am more in line with just manage it correct per the scope under which it was acquired in the first place.
    Last edited by Strick9; 01-19-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

The state is doing as good as a state can do witch is not good. It will continue to get worse. It’s the government, that’s what it does.

The techs are operating the amphibs, marshmaster, tractors, etc

The techs are operating the amphibs, marshmaster, tractors, etc
    There is some form of stipulation/separation between operator and staff but I will say it wasn't really explained. Certainly operators of equipment weren't classified the same as staff in the meeting, left me scratching my head with unanswered questions. It wasn't related to Long Reach either. Maybe its certification or training quals as to track hoe , bulldozer or some classification of equipment? All we heard from SCDNR was they didn't have enough operators? Not contractors but operators.
    Genesis 9;2

I have been to all the Cat 1s on the coast years ago. I am willing to go back. I have been tasked with solving the prison problem as a priority. Looking into the WMA's was my call but probably low on the totem pole for the rest of budgeters.

I got them several million to fix them after the flood. Surprised to hear money is still caught up with procurement.

They need a self motivated old timer with experience to determine what is possible and oversee it getting done. I am sure they have plenty of dedicated tech and biologist. I hope to see some rice planting.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I’d like to see them sell all but a few of the Cat 1s. Use the proceeds to have a few well managed resources instead of 10 subpar ones. Overall I’m not a big fan of the government managing land for ducks. It’s entirely too expensive for what you get. I’d rather see my tax dollars fund some other types of hunting land in SC

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Operators are not payed a "tech salary" from what I understand ( correct me if wrong but its more than smidge better than tech salary) Even then state operators aren't paid the same as an operator for say Boeing / Gulf Stream et al. Also to take into consideration is the amount of days off, holidays, retirement, health insurance etc when working for the state vs private enterprise.

Certainly the state needs to pay better for highly skilled operators. I know several folks at most of the CAT 1s as well, for those who also know staff on the inside , you gotta be hearing the same about certain folks that I am. We have some duck hunters working in those positions in many places and I would think its all same circle/ same observation.

I can't get behind selling of state lands when it concerns valuable habitat just to watch such become the next development. I am more in line with just manage it correct per the scope under which it was acquired in the first place.
    Based on job postings that I’ve seen the operators for say the long boom at SCR ,at one time, was significantly less than a Tech 2. So in the $24k range where the Tech 2 is in the $28k range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Development isn’t as real of a threat in most areas are we are led to believe.

The economy doesn’t drive for it in most WMA areas.

Botany Bay would be the only at-risk property I can think of in the ACE.

Tons of management for little more than a couple deer and turkey hunts annually?

Ever been there? One of the most well manicured properties on Edisto.

That’s an ass of time and money, better allocated toward other properties.

Sure it’s a great place to see painted buntings and catch a bunch of fish you can’t keep...
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

So put an easement (likely already one) on Botany, let the budget and control board sell, and re-direct that labor and money.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

DT- you need another visit.
    They’ve got a self motivated guy now. He asks for advice from people that know. Local knowledge is best.

They got ducks too @Botany
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Bog, I would put many places at risk to include any and all waterfront or mtn view properties. Donnelly, Samworth, Delta East and West, Beaverdam, Keowee WMA. Slippery slope before you wind up with a sell off and see for sale signs on Potato Creek, hatchery or Santee Coopers Sandy Beach etc.

Why not just manage what we have instead of leaning on can'ts. I know you don't deer / turkey hunt but such a precedent would put that at risk as well. What some fail to see is that we don't need a decrease in hunting opportunities if we want to protect our hunting heritage and in my opine that ties directly to the protecting the 2nd amendment.

By the way if you look at state job openings, there is some insight to be gained there as to the operating efficiency, positions and salary amounts. Made me shake my head.
    Last edited by Strick9; 01-19-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

On the job training should work for operators. That is how I learned and I taught my son.

Selling is not likely. Changing from Cat 1 to 2 is possible.

What I see is resources spread thin across far too many properties, many of which provide little to no hunting opportunities.

Cat2’s are the biggest joke in the history of wildlife management.

At the very best Cat2’s, limiting access to twice a week is the very best management tactic SCDNR can muster.

On designated waterfowl areas, in their mind, the best protocol is to eliminate all food sources that would draw waterfowl to said property.

It’s a freaking joke.

I’d like to see them outsource the management too. Government can’t mange people or money. A crew of Mexicans would have those dikes back right in 2 weeks

Based on what knowledge of yours, Remy?
    This is out of hand. Unless you have been there and seen what is going on, just about everyone on this thread needs to
    keep their ignorant opinion to themselves.

Based on what knowledge of yours, Remy?
    This is out of hand. Unless you have been there and seen what is going on, just about everyone on this thread needs to
    keep their ignorant opinion to themselves.
    Didn’t catch the sarcasm on the 2 weeks I guess. I can guarantee you that an outside crew could get it done in half the time though. And yes I’ve got a plethora of experience working with government agencies. They’re all horribly run and DNR isn’t an exception. I’m not saying they’re bad people and some are my friends but they can’t get anything done.

DNR gave a full rundown of needs on each Cat 1 WMAs. I agree I need to look for myself again.

This is my schedule this week. We need good Directors. I can't possibly micromanage all this.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020, 1.5 hours after adjournment or upon the Call of the Chair, in Room 305 of the Blatt Building. The Subcommittee will hear from the following:
     Department of Natural Resources
     Department of Public Safety
     Criminal Justice Academy
    Wednesday, January 22, 202 at 10:00 AM in Room 110 of the Blatt Building. The Subcommittee will hear from the following:
     SC Department of Corrections
     Department of Juvenile Justice
     Department of Probation, Pardons and Parole
     State Law Enforcement Division

Last week was Atty General, Prosecution, and Indigent Defense agencies.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 01-19-2020 at 09:51 PM.