Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Texas Eats

Default Dallas Texas Eats

I will be in downtown Dallas Thursday and Friday nights. Any suggestions for places to eat in the evening. Not looking for fancy. Would like to try some Texas style BBQ if possible. My one try before was in Odessa and it was very disappointing.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

My coworkers in Dallas are BBQ Snobs. They like Pecan Lodge. Great jalapeno cheddar links. They also have a big following for their Brisket. If I was going to one BBQ joint in Dallas , it's my choice too.

Others of note in no preference -

Hard Eight

Lockhart's

Hutchins

Odom's
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I was in Dallas for several weeks back in Oct and Nov. Didn't eat any BBQ but made several trips to Chicken Express. Their hot-n-spicy chicken tenders are crazy good. You get like 7 or 8, a side item and biscuit and gravy for like $7.00. Probably not something you're looking for only being there a couple days but if you're looking for a quick lunch it's worth a try if you like chicken.

Not in Dallas but in Tyler Texas, Stanley’s is friggin awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Pecan lodge

For good whiskey....The Standard Pour

Rodeo Goat. Packed burger joint, but cool place

Lived there last year- I went to pecan lodge every other weekend and never got tired or bored of it. Place is great
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Thanks to all. Sounds like Pecan Lodge is the best choice. Hope it is in reasonable distance of where we are staying.

Beef isn't BBQ...

Brisket in Texas has been the best I have ever eaten

It is good stuff...

Never had the smokin pig have ya ECU...
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

The brisket I had in Odessa sucked. It was a place recommend to me and Swampknob by someone here on the site. I don't hold it against him, but I hope it was not representative of Texas BBQ. Maybe the Pecan Lodge will change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Beef isn't BBQ...
    I tend to agree that only pig and sometimes, under limited circumstances, goat and mutton, can be called BBQ. But, I did not know how else to describe that which I was seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Marsh View Post
    Thanks to all. Sounds like Pecan Lodge is the best choice. Hope it is in reasonable distance of where we are staying.
    It is downtown in deep Ellum. If it ends up just being you, or two of you- then walk in a go straight to the bar. Otherwise the line is ridiculously long. Or if you go with a big group, y’all can order a large amount of meat (>5#) and get a seat quicker. I’d you end up at the bar on a Saturday night, my friend is one of the bartenders and she is an angel.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    It is downtown in deep Ellum. If it ends up just being you, or two of you- then walk in a go straight to the bar. Otherwise the line is ridiculously long. Or if you go with a big group, y’all can order a large amount of meat (>5#) and get a seat quicker. I’d you end up at the bar on a Saturday night, my friend is one of the bartenders and she is an angel.
    Thanks for the inside scoop. It is just two of us and it will be either Thursday of Friday evening, so we will not get to meet the angel, unless she is there one of those nights.

I will report on the result of the trial of Texas fire cooked meats and determine if I can make a finding of BBQ, or if it just more wannabe meat cooked by semi-Southerners.

Rudy's Country Store has crazy good brisket, they are around the DFW area also

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Rudy's Country Store has crazy good brisket, they are around the DFW area also
    This, Rudy’s is the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    This, Rudy’s is the shit.
    I cheated on an expense report and work travel one time just to go 500 miles out of my way to hit a Rudy's
    I shit you not

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I cheated on an expense report and work travel one time just to go 500 miles out of my way to hit a Rudy's
    I shit you not
    Nice the last time I was in Austin I spent $42 on my lunch there. I had 3 plates of brisket.