Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Recent Mediocrity and Observations

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Weather doesn't explain the total lack of gadwall we saw in Canada this year. Scum Skimmers are always in most every roadside ditch.

Like the Old Man commented, "So this is what Bayou Meto is like" after running into the 4 millionth group of hunters this year...

We saw a good many gadwall when we were up there.

Freddie King has it figured out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1318451347

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-14-2020 at 07:51 PM.

If only someone had thought to tell Nab et al that 20 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

He's right.

He is a pretty smart fella, kills a lot of fucks. It would be so much easier to understand if he would just speak English rather than mumblefartburp his sentences.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    He is a pretty smart fella, kills a lot of fucks. It would be so much easier to understand if he would just speak English rather than mumblefartburp his sentences.
    Wonder how he spells?

He spelled well enough for me to understand that he's right. When we were kids, everyone and I mean everyone was constantly running the river, going into the swamp to hunt - twice a day, jump shooting, camping on a sand bar, running to a tree house, just any damn reason to put the boat in and run the river. By the time I was 20 I was so sick and tired of being in a damn john boat running up and down the damn river. I hate it now. That cold, unnecessary wind. Getting wet when its cold. I'm out. I won't get in damn boat to run the river for fun. Nope. Hell, I'll barely get in one to go hunt, and by gosh, if I do, there better be ducks when we get there. I actually got to the point that if we couldn't drive to the spot in our trucks and walk into it, I wouldn't go.

It was like some of those guys were down there in that river so much they were trying to become a legend or something. Just how much can I go down and ride that river, you know, to develop my outdoorsy, river knowledge cred, as if anyone gives a shit. And there are still guys doing just that. And these days they're posting endlessly on facepage about how "peaceful" it is down there. Sure, I guess they'd be right if they weren't there making it un-peaceful. Any reason to take a picture of themselves in their boat, like the free spirit we all deep down wish we could be...just like them. I see it all the time. Some of these dumbasses don't really even care about a duck, but the damage is done all the same.

What we know for sure is that they're still running those boats in those rivers and in those swamps and they're definitely running off the birds.

I've talked to Freddy a couple of times at The Bulldog. He's actually a pretty nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    He spelled well enough for me to understand that he's right. s.
    I was referring to Doublesprigs spelling.

I think Freddy has done some backwoods meth or something but he is right. Pressure is the problem
    cut\'em

Well, they done run off all the out of state hunters and still arent pounding the ducks? Say it aint so...

Public water hunters here in SC totally rejected every proposal to ease pressure when we worked our asses off to try all those years ago. I wonder if the attitudes have changed any over time?

Agreed, and yes. When you could only hunt all day on the last day of the season and we had 3 duck limit, I saw more ducks
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I would hate wanting to restrict rights but we do need a change and something to take pressure off birds. Just curious how hard it would be to regulate.......
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Bass fishing tournaments have gotten so prevelent these days that every lake has like 4 tournaments going any given Saturday. They used to be just spring, summer, and fall but now they are all year. All the fishing boats on the water ain't letting the ducks rest either. The lakes are a lot more active now than they used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing bass tournaments myself but I would be down for no fishing tournaments allowed during duck season.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 01-15-2020 at 03:57 PM.

I was referring to Doublesprigs spelling.
    nice catch, Pot.
    I must have fat fingered the *d* in ducks.

(check your punctuation before calling out my spelling errors and I won't call you Pot)

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

My observations on public waters over the past 10 years is defiantly pressure and food. Both seem like easy fixes. Feed them and they will come. Give them space and they will stay. My main lake used to be loaded with grass. Very few hunters and bass boats and it held birds. Now the lake has no grass, lots of hunter, multiple bass tournaments a weekend, and no birds.

Weather is defiantly a factor. I don't think it is the root cause. I had plenty of great hunts while in a long sleeve shirt. 2 Lakes that i frequent will have birds one day and the next it will be a ghost town. I have to believe that if every pond, lake, and river had food and managed pressure we would see birds regardless of weather.

I like what Jim Shockey says about wildlife. He says that the Deer, Elk, Waterfowl, has to pay its way. How do we make the duck a money maker? Do we figure out a way to incentives Lake and pond owners for maintaining healthy bodies of water? If the bodies of water are healthy with grass, fish, trash free and hold ducks could they get some sort of break for them? Seems like the Fishing community and the Duck community could come together to figure out a way to get our lakes healthy.

Forgive my spelling and sentence structure
    Last edited by JBK; 01-15-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Relatively speaking we live in an outdoorsman's paradise. When the goal of a hunt is to fire the gun at something other than a dumbass merganser it is time to take advantage of other resources. I sold all of my duck stuff and gave it up when you had to get up at 2:30 because you knew where some ducks were and when you got there someone had camped out on it for 2 days. There's great fishing in the fall/winter here. I do miss duck hunting but not all the nonsense that comes with it.

Well we will get an answer to these questions when we go back to a 30 day season with a 3 bird bag limit ! Then just the youngsters cutting their teeth and the real hardcore guys will put forth the effort !
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

Pressure, winter habitat and nesting habitat. I think the most important part is helping hens be successful. That means killing anything that gets in the way of a duck reaching maturity. This is where the feds get in the way. Hawks, foxes, coons, possums, coyotes, skunks, cats, etc. Take those out of the equation or make them a very small part of nest failure and we will have ducks.