Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 133

Thread: Recent Mediocrity and Observations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Green Pond SC
    Posts
    994

    Default Recent Mediocrity and Observations

    Killed some mallards in Ga, redheads in NC, teal and mottleds in SC recently and traveled to La to kills some grays and cans and ringos. All in all mediocre. Which gave me time to think regarding the cause.
    This may need to be in the Habitat and politics section, but here goes. I’ve recently been fortunate enough to hunt some nice places in NC,SC, northern Ga, and Lousiana. All private, all generational duck properties with experienced owners and managers. I have also been in conversation with friends on these trips who have shared information from Kansas,Oklahoma, and Canada. Among these last few weeks topics varying from their observations over the last ten years to shortstopping corn ponds, weather, massive Midwest flooding, rubberheads, Fed game wardens, tagging, mallards vs trashducks, aerial observation accuracy, coonasses, motorized duck decoys, baiting and much more were discussed.
    The skinny of it is that we have been misled.The duck harvest vs hunter numbers do not lie, not to mention the detailed log books from most all of these places. So, the question is, what if anything can be done to improve duck numbers? Because the general consensus is that It would be bad for business if people really knew of a decline, and that inflated nesting success and survey numbers will continue the status quo of mediocre seasons in an attempt to sell as much prospective success and keep people buying leases and duck gear. Interested in thoughts and perspective.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5,893

    Default

    Seems plausible.

    I'm selling all my duck crap and taking up squirrel hunting.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Fascinating topic for discussion. I wonder if one part of the puzzle is the relatively steep increase in standard of living over the past 20 years or so. Some based on true increases in wealth, some based on easy credit. But much like the Johnny Q. Seapro who now pounds the mahi-mahi-mahi on every calm day from March-June, maybe we have a lot more folks throwing money (land, cornponds, boats, etc.) at a resource (ducks) that is not expanding. Maybe up, maybe down, maybe about the same number of ducks each year. And they are more and more spread out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Akupla Acres
    Posts
    3,990

    Default

    Insightful posts such as this started a grass-roots conservation organization a decade and a half ago...
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.


    Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Hard to say if the ones leading the research and bag limits are misleading the public to keep sales of equipment up. Very hard to say what exactly can be done and which group to trust to do it. We all know the government can no do it and obviously trusting a group like DU has not worked. It is all about the $$$. My 2 cents for what its worth is we obviously need more nesting ground and less nesting predators to start with. Idk but maybe having farmers return to habits that improve nesting habitat, maybe its time to rethink our current system of refuges and how they are managed, hard to say indeed what can be done other than protect as much habitat as we can.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Seems plausible.

    I'm selling all my duck crap and taking up squirrel hunting.
    Train that dog to tree squirrels and we can keep him busy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle of the state
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Better aquatic vegetation management (i.e., letting some grow) in public waters would be a good start.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    GVL
    Posts
    2,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    Killed some mallards in Ga, redheads in NC, teal and mottleds in SC recently and traveled to La to kills some grays and cans and ringos. All in all mediocre. Which gave me time to think regarding the cause.
    This may need to be in the Habitat and politics section, but here goes. I’ve recently been fortunate enough to hunt some nice places in NC,SC, northern Ga, and Lousiana. All private, all generational duck properties with experienced owners and managers. I have also been in conversation with friends on these trips who have shared information from Kansas,Oklahoma, and Canada. Among these last few weeks topics varying from their observations over the last ten years to shortstopping corn ponds, weather, massive Midwest flooding, rubberheads, Fed game wardens, tagging, mallards vs trashducks, aerial observation accuracy, coonasses, motorized duck decoys, baiting and much more were discussed.
    The skinny of it is that we have been misled.The duck harvest vs hunter numbers do not lie, not to mention the detailed log books from most all of these places. So, the question is, what if anything can be done to improve duck numbers? Because the general consensus is that It would be bad for business if people really knew of a decline, and that inflated nesting success and survey numbers will continue the status quo of mediocre seasons in an attempt to sell as much prospective success and keep people buying leases and duck gear. Interested in thoughts and perspective.
    Arguably why I don't waterfowl hunt anymore and focus on the upland hunting.
    "All conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and fondle, and when enough have seen and fondled, there is no wilderness left to cherish." - A.L. from A Sand County Almanac

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The Wild, Wild West
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    This can piggyback on my "worried" thread ... in the cyber blind or conservation forum or wherever I started it. So...are there limits in Canada? Are there limits in south of the border? I'm pretty sure that there are no limits south of the border, and I know they aren't shooting steel, bismuth, and hevi shot down there. Are there non-tox regs in Canada? Just curious. A widgeon I shot last week had green vent, and I know that at least one or two ducks I've shot every year since 2012 has had green vent. IDK, I know that habitat destruction and weather patterns make a difference, but the in -thing seems to be heading to Canada in the early season and shooting the ever living piss out of the ducks. I'll bet that for every field report we see out of Canada, there are a shitpile that we don't see. Just curious if there are game laws and enforcement up there...never been or looked into it, so I seriously don't know. Then, of course, there is Asia...and according to our one Asian member on here...conservation is NOT happening on that side of the sphere.
    I tell you what, from "smoking a pair of big black dicks" to "wanking across the pond"...you have to be very careful when posting about duck hunting from a smartphone!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Hartsville
    Posts
    777

    Default

    If there was a study done it would not surprise me if the conclusion was this: Hunters from South Carolina have exploited every duck sanctuary East of the Mountain time zone. Most of the ducks are now dead and those that are left are seeking unorthodox migration routes and sanctuaries.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,799

    Default

    75 degrees this weekend what’s the problem ?
    .
    80-20 Genaration

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    Combo of habitat loss and more people than ever in history trying to kill a duck mostly the later. Plus commercialization factor on the guided hunts. Whoring out of natural resources for a dollar generally never ends well for an animal
    Last edited by loud1; 01-08-2020 at 09:38 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ballard's Landing
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    If there was a study done it would not surprise me if the conclusion was this: Hunters from South Carolina have exploited every duck sanctuary East of the Mountain time zone. Most of the ducks are now dead and those that are left are seeking unorthodox migration routes and sanctuaries.
    Why do Florida hunters have such success on refuge draws, STAs, Lake O, St Johns, Tampa Bay, and more importantly, the open Glades?

    They are shooting limits of bluewings, ringnecks, widgeon, pintails, Florida mallards, and tree ducks in 75 degree weather, week in and week out. Why?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ballard's Landing
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    I’m glad to see scducks.com finally have a duck hunting discussion for the first time in quite a while.

    It’s a breath of fresh air from the asinine football discussions, building an AR-15, and CrossFit.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Green Pond SC
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Agreed. Clempson football was getting old most everyone (with the exception of a few)

    When a 32 year veteran of Canada - Arkansas guide AND a 30 year guide from Cameron La tells you the ducks “aren’t around”.... I tend to believe them.

    Interestingly enough a good friend of mine brought up spinners and BOTH commented on ‘99 being the beginning of the end.

    On a side
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    I certainly believe duck numbers are way down. And, because of warmer weather, what ducks there are don't migrate south any more.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bowman
    Posts
    5,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’m glad to see scducks.com finally have a duck hunting discussion for the first time in quite a while.

    It’s a breath of fresh air from the asinine football discussions, building an AR-15, and CrossFit.
    Preach it.

    Pressure is the problem. I keep thinking about delta’s r3 program and the lack of ducks. More hunters will not help the problem.
    cut\'em

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SPARTANBURG
    Posts
    2,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’m glad to see scducks.com finally have a duck hunting discussion for the first time in quite a while.

    It’s a breath of fresh air from the asinine football discussions, building an AR-15, and CrossFit.
    I was thinkin the same thing.....damn I miss pics of dead ducks , duck reports ,etc..I mean it is called sc ducks... Its turned into sports , politics and other such bullshit .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Hartsville
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Why do Florida hunters have such success on refuge draws, STAs, Lake O, St Johns, Tampa Bay, and more importantly, the open Glades?

    They are shooting limits of bluewings, ringnecks, widgeon, pintails, Florida mallards, and tree ducks in 75 degree weather, week in and week out. Why?
    I was being facetious and having some fun with the uncanny ability of South Carolinians to exploit hunting opportunities.

    I suspect you know the answer to your own question.

    I haven’t been to all of those places you mention, but I’d guess your answer is habitat.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Green Pond SC
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    Insightful posts such as this started a grass-roots conservation organization a decade and a half ago...

    The band we killed Saturday in N Ga was from Fremont, Ottawa County, Ohio....
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •