Thread: Engine replacement question

Default Engine replacement question

When do you begin to be concerned with a 4 stroke Suzuki 140? 2004 engine with 512 hours on it regularly serviced. No none issues at this time.

Let me know if you do.. Ha , I'll buy that one. I've got an 05 2 stroke Yamaha on my cc that I've put tons of hours on. It'll be the third time this boat has been repowered. I've had a couple small hiccups with it over the years, and a couple years ago I told myself I wasnt taking it offshore anymore. The boat is just a lake cruiser now, enjoying retirement and pulling kids tubing.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-07-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Ever given you issues? Ride it til it dies.

Ask again once you get to 1500 hours or so.

I have 1850 hours on a Honda 135 4 stroke. Get a Sea Tow membership and run her till she won't.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I think some of the early models had corrosion issues in saltwater. Other than that, no way that motor should be close to being wore out.

Yeah I have a 2005 Jon-Zuki 140 eaten up with corrosion and looking to repower before spring.

My 225 e-tec got over 3800/hrs and still runs like new. This is the 4th motor on this hull
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have a 2019 Suzuki and best damn engine I have owned.
    Fuel wise, bottom end torque and so quiet I have to walk back there and look to see if its running.
    Knock on wood, don't want to jinx it

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I think some of the early models had corrosion issues in saltwater. Other than that, no way that motor should be close to being wore out.
    Correct on the corrosion issues, mainly in the water passages in the block developing pin holes if i remember correctly.

Like anything stay up on your preventative maintenance and you should have a TON of life left in it.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 01-07-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Marine engines develop problems more from not using them than running them often. I know of crabbers around here with 7000 hours on 4 stroke Yamahas. Flush it, service it and run straight gas and you can get 2-3000 on recreational use.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Engine holders are notorious for corrosion in the OP’s vintage of motor. They put a steel plug in the aluminum and the dissimilar metals cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Engine holders are notorious for corrosion in the OP’s vintage of motor. They put a steel plug in the aluminum and the dissimilar metals cause issues.
    Correct, we use to call them "Alka Seltzers" cause they dissolved in water.
    Issues in the newer ones were corrected. Different zinc anode system too

Case in point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk