Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food plot shape

Number one most important aspect in a deer stand is arriving and leaving without spooking deer

Assuming the logging crew creates a new entrance from the highway side to access the property I would consider setting up a new stand and enter from highway side of property and look across to food plot. If you're replanting the pines then I guess that only works for a few years but might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Do you know how the deer prefer to travel through the area at the moment?
    There is an old logging road/4wheeler trail (5-10 feet wide at most) between the planted pines and the swamp. They walk that road or on trails they have in the pines. Does use the plot in the east of that picture. Only shot one buck out of it. I've bush hogged, move stands around, etc. trying to get it right and am taking drastic measures now.

It is completely overgrown. Hasn't been burned in at least 15 years. The pines are ready to harvest so going to do that and start fresh putting in plots where I want them. I also love hunting a cutover.

Also taking five acres to the south of that picture and disc mulching the rest, then will burn. I learned the hard way that drum mulchers are less forgiving than disc mulchers.

I also need to keep a screen along the road, two guys just got busted for fire hunting. I'm told they had 103 deer posted on snapchat all shot at night (could be part of the problem with lack of bucks on my place too), so want to keep the pines and thick stuff along the road as a buffer.

Here is the full property.

IMG_0550 (1).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by beech View Post
    Assuming the logging crew creates a new entrance from the highway side to access the property I would consider setting up a new stand and enter from highway side of property and look across to food plot. If you're replanting the pines then I guess that only works for a few years but might be worth it.
    That's my plan. The only access to that part of the property is from the south across a small creek at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Tucking the stand back in the woods a bit helps. I see box stands all over put up in the middle of a plot. Makes no sense.
    This. I have two set ups with Redneck blinds on hub and spoke formations. One is in an area where the pines are still a bit short (and thus you are a bit sky-lighted), so it's more exposed and hence gets more attention from the deer. The other is tucked in with good back-cover and the deer never bust us with good wind. I take my 4 year old who bangs around and is moving constantly and we never get busted.
    Carolina Counsel

I would think that access would be a problem with that layout (your proposed plot), particularly if you replant the pines. I would not want a foot plot on both sides of me- eliminates too many wind options.
    Carolina Counsel

Make your plots round that way the deer will keep walking past your stand
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Number one most important aspect in a deer stand is arriving and leaving without spooking deer
    Bingo......I love being able to leave a good plot and not spooking anything
    Last edited by Timberman22; 01-06-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22