Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food plot shape

Default Food plot shape

I'm taking out ~10 acres of pines on my place and think I want to be able to shoot along the swamp to the north. 362 yards to the north west tip to the 142.4 number on the right of the area being taken out.

To the east is a two lane blacktop road. I'm leaving six rows of pines along the road as a screen.

So, would you just run a food plot along the length of the swamp? Interested to hear your ideas on shape.

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 11.45.19 AM.jpg

I love a long narrow food plot. When I put in new plots my main consideration is ease of access with equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I love a long narrow food plot. When I put in new plots my main consideration is ease of access with equipment.

I would make it wide enough to leave a border or transitional area between the swamp and the plot

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I would consider a modified hub and spoke design with just two spokes, one spoke (approximately 75 feet wide) running along the edge and another cutting NW through the cut-over toward the two lane, ending just south of the 1,125 marker. If you run the spoke straight (rather than hugging) along the edge of the swamp, that will leave several buff areas.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I would consider a modified hub and spoke design with just two spokes, one spoke (approximately 75 feet wide) running along the edge and another cutting NW through the cut-over toward the two lane, ending just south of the 1,125 marker. If you run the spoke straight (rather than hugging) along the edge of the swamp, that will leave several buff areas.
    This I like hub and spoke type food plots as well

I hate it when people bushhog strips in a field in a “spoke” formation where they all lead back to the stand. I don’t want deer looking down the bush hogged row looking straight in the direction of the stand

Put a stand at both ends and confuse em.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    I hate it when people bushhog strips in a field in a “spoke” formation where they all lead back to the stand. I don’t want deer looking down the bush hogged row looking straight in the direction of the stand

I cant say I am an expert, but I have hunted a few spoke formations and I have noticed this too. But if you are making the spokes wide enough like Carolina Counsel said, you should be better off. Just don't make a ton of 10ft wide spokes.

Tucking the stand back in the woods a bit helps. I see box stands all over put up in the middle of a plot. Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Tucking the stand back in the woods a bit helps. I see box stands all over put up in the middle of a plot. Makes no sense.
    Yea, why not put the stand in that edge where the 42.8 coordinate is. Perfect spot that you could thin out and get good cover and hunt that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    As long as the deer can not see your silhouette, I don’t see where it matters. They can look all they want and they are not going to see anything

Well, they’re a lot less likely to see a silhouette with it tucked back.

I have a climber at the 42.8 mark.

What about something like this?

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 2.30.57 PM.jpg

I’d go wider

I like the thought.

Be mindful of the sun and predominant wind for your area. Seems to me a stand on the south side would be better sun-wise. Unless you want to be able to shoot into the swamp as well of course.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dbenn454 View Post
    Be mindful of the sun and predominant wind for your area. Seems to me a stand on the south side would be better sun-wise. Unless you want to be able to shoot into the swamp as well of course.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    This is critical info in plot alignment and stand location.

Do you know how the deer prefer to travel through the area at the moment?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I am only asking because I have only hunted others food plots, but never made one myself and would like to understand.

Why do you only want that size of a food plot? Seems that you have a lot of ground that you could cover. I would think that a larger plot would give you more ground to cover, might pull deer from the south better and offer more food that would last longer throughout the season.

Does the road allow you easiest access into the area without spooking deer, or spreading scent?