Thread: Boat trailer sits too high

Default Boat trailer sits too high

Anybody ever lowered a boat trailer? Currently the springs sit on top of the axel and I'm thinking about putting them under it and possibly a 1 1/2"-2" spacer to help get it even lower. Any advice or anything I should consider?
    Last edited by tsigmon; 01-03-2020 at 04:00 PM.

I could see it if you're going to paint it purple and put some lights up underneath.

Let some air out of the tires

I would think that you'd significantly reduce the load capacity if you put the springs under the axle. You might consider a drop axle or smaller tires.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

What kind and size? Pics? Is the trailer itself to high or is it the bunks? Do you need to the trailer lower in the water or closer to ground because you could go about this a couple different ways.

Can you just change the shackles to lower the trailer? As mentioned in your original post you can put the axle on top of the springs vs under them, or you could simple lower the bunks if that would achieve what you're trying to do.

Wesco trailer with 14"galvanized wheels and 205/75-14 - D tires. Currently the springs are on top of the axel and the bunks are as low as they can go. It sits so high now it's a pain to launch and load. I considered smaller wheels as an option but figured the larger wheels would be easier on the bearings on longer pulls. I'll have to take pictures tomorrow.

I never considered painting it purple but I did consider purple lights underneath.
    Last edited by tsigmon; 01-03-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I would think that you'd significantly reduce the load capacity if you put the springs under the axle. You might consider a drop axle or smaller tires.
    How so? Your load would still be concentrated over the same bearing area of the springs?
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    How so? Your load would still be concentrated over the same bearing area of the springs?
    In a conventional setup with the axle underneath the spring, the axle will push directly against the spring during a dynamic load. The U-bolts basically hold it in place and see little tension loading. If the situation is reversed with the axle over the springs, the load will be transferred from the axle to the springs through the U-bolts in a tension load arrangement instead of the axle compressing against the springs. This essentially results in the springs being "pulled" into a dynamic load instead of being pushed and therefore puts a significant tension load on the U-bolts that they were not designed to withstand. Other than a point loading condition, the total amount of force that the system sees is the same. It is how the load is transferred that can make a huge difference in the integrity of the system.

Bottom line DON'T reverse the springs, especially if a spacer is used. The spacer will just screw it up even more. If you hit a bad bump, you might be chasing an axle down the road with your trailer looking like a tobacco drag going down the 5th row

P.S. Some of you are too young to know about a tobacco drag going down the 5th row.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-03-2020 at 05:09 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

The U bolts carrying the load is one of my concerns. I've done a some looking on the web on several trailer sites and the issue of the U bolts carrying the load hasn't been mentioned anywhere I've been looking, and I'm well aware the internet ain't gospel. Another aspect I hadn't thought about is wheel to fender clearance so smaller wheels and moving the springs might be my options.

CWP, I agree with your assessment, but I was looking at the load carrying capacity of the springs, not the bolts.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

drop the bunk brackets down
    Last edited by ecu1984; 01-03-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Back further into the water. Or are you trying to put in at par when the water is low.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Lots of vehicles over the years have been spring-under set-ups. If you use big enough ubolts, your boat trailer will be fine with that set-up.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Lower the brackets
    put your crossmembers under the frame
    Switch to a torsion axle

Put liquid rollers on it and you can launch and retrieve with less trailer in the water.

How big of a boat are we talking? The trailer for my 16’ Jon boat is set up like you are describing. The springs are under the axle and held in place by the U bolts. It has worked flawlessly since I bought it new in 2012. I’ve actually contemplated switching it to raise the trailer allowing for larger tires.