Thread: Duck Bacon

Default Duck Bacon

Okay, so I have not perfected it yet but I'm close enough to talk about it...

I got a smoker for Christmas...it's not a manly smoker...it looks like a crock pot but it works...quick and easy....

Anyway, I salt cured a couple of duck breasts for 24 hours (too long) then rinsed them. I used a salt cure that was 1 teaspoon of pink curing salt and one cup of kosher salt.

Before smoking the pieces I coated with a 2/3 brown sugar and 1/3 black pepper dry rub then cold smoked all four pieces for 1 hour. I took two out then hot smoked the remaining pieces for 20 minutes.

I sliced some off of both types and dry fried them on both sides. It smelled exactly like bacon but tasted like country ham. However, I think because I cured it for too long, it was way too salty. Other than being too salty it was exactly like country ham - exactly

The picture is a piece that was both cold and hot smoked. The ones that were only cold smoked came out more tender.

I going to do this again but cut the cure time down to 8 hours and only cold smoke for 1 hour.

Sorry it's a cell phone picture from kitchen lighting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Oh yeah

1 oz of curing salt normally does 25lbs of meat. Thinking your salt combo wasn't needed and hence the high salt flavor.

Looks good!

A couple on here do duck Prosciutto...Cured then just aged, no smoking. Sliced thin and Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    1 oz of curing salt normally does 25lbs of meat. Thinking your salt combo wasn't needed and hence the high salt flavor.
    I only used enough of the curing salt to coat the duck halves so I have a lot left over. What exactly are you suggesting? I'm really interested in trying to get this right.

That’s a lot of work for something that tastes ‘exactly like country ham’.

I’d just buy a country ham.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    That’s a lot of work for something that tastes ‘exactly like country ham’.

I’d just buy a country ham.
    Haha - but you're missing the point - if anarchy breaks and our civil infrastructure collapses out I can still have country ham...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Haha - but you're missing the point - if anarchy breaks and our civil infrastructure collapses out I can still have country ham...
    True dat. Godspeed to you in your journey.

I wouldn’t mind trying a bite, but I am too lazy to put in the work.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Curing salt is normally incorporated into the meat by brine or mixing into ground meat. Result is pinkish colored “city ham takes 24hrs.

Kosher salt applied externally takes several weeks and I’ve only done that to country ham .

If I'm not mistaking, and I might be, if you're going to cure something, the curing salt measurement should be done by the weight of the meat. It sounds like you used way too much curing salt (even though it was only cured for 24 hours). That's why it was so salty. I'm sure the curing salt did not make it's way through all the meat in 24 hours. Curing pig belly properly takes at least 7 days and is determined by the thickness of the belly.