Thread: Remington 1100

Default Remington 1100

I apologize for the newb question....

I inherited a 1974 Remington 1100 2 3/4 earlier this year with a 24” smooth slug barrel and a 28” barrel with unknown choke. I’ve shot slugs out of the short barrel and buckshot And #6 out of the 28” with no issues.

Is it possible to get the 28” barrel threaded for modern screw in choke?

Also I’m not sure if these barrels are rated for steel loads. What are some non toxic 2 3/4” I could look at it case I wanted to take it on a duck hunt?

This was handed down by my grandfather so I want to take the best care of it. I would also appreciate recommendations for a gunsmith in the upstate to do any work needed.
    Last edited by Row vs. Wade; 01-02-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Bismuth shells are good for older guns, and does the barrel already have a choke or just straight barrel? If it doesn’t have a choke, personally I wouldn’t try to get threads cut to put one in it, also to add, most (not all) older barrels don’t have enough metal to add a choke system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    I don’t know how readily available they are now, but I was in the same boat as you years ago and just bought a new barrel for it with the screw in chokes. I then sold the old barrel on eBay.
    I would entertain this route.

Look on side of barrel it will have what it’s choked on the side
    It’s probably modified
    Sumtoy will thread it for you

Thanks for the responses. The going price for barrels seems to be high $200. If That’s the case then I’ll likely keep it for a deer gun.
    Last edited by Row vs. Wade; 01-02-2020 at 09:17 PM.

No choke at all. That makes sense

Ron Cox. He can even fix you up with some invector chokes for it.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchtime48 View Post
    ...most (not all) older barrels don’t have enough metal to add a choke system.
    Might wanna check your facts. I've sent numerous barrels to Briley and was never told it couldn't be done. Might not be enough metal for Remchoke threads, but there's numerous smiths like Briley, Carlson, etc who can add thin wall chokes. It's not a cheap job, but it's not impossible.

To the OP, I'd take the advice above and search for a modern 1100 barrel with Rem chokes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I grew up in that era shooting steel. The standard recommendation then was to not shoot steel in anything tighter than modified with no shot size larger than #2. However it is better to get a new RC barrel. You can get one in 3 inch that will shoot 3 inch steel but not lead. The negative with that barrel is that it might not cycle light target loads. If you are still considering screw-in chokes, Carlson will thread your barrel for $120. They did one for me last year.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-03-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Row vs. Wade View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The going price for barrels seems to be high $200. If That’s the case then I’ll likely keep it for a deer gun.
    for 200 or 300$ id get that barrel OTW pronto so you could hunt with it.

I bought a 28" with rem chokes about 15 years ago for $130. Looks like they've gone up in price a good bit since then.

Ron Cox for sure. Just take it by there and ask him what your best opitions would be, he won't steer you wrong.

I bought a hastings barrel for mine with wadlock, came with the 3 basic chokes but thats been a long time ago, havent seen those in a while

I am NOT saying this will work for you - please consult a gunsmith - but I added a modern Remington 3" barrel with Rem Choke to my 1964ish 1100 and shoot 3" steel through it.

It takes some other, rather simple, modifications but it has been fairly reliable.

Ask your gunsmith about shooting lighter 2 3/4" steel loads through a modern barrel mounted on your gun's receiver, forend and buttstock.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

You can shoot steel thru your bbl, or send it to Mike Orlen and he will do the tubes, he is the cheapest and highly reccomended.

I got a replacement barrel with tubes for mine that will allow me to shoot 3" steel and I have been very pleased with it. I still have the original 28" vent rib, 2 3/4", modified bbl and a 20" rifle-sighted smooth bore slug barrel. I have shot plenty of steel through the original barrel.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I would be interested in buying the weapon for $250. Then you would have enough for a new barrel and some to spare. I have the same piece that was given to me from my grandfather in 1981. Still my favorite Christmas present ever. It has a 23.5" modified on it....guessing papa cut it down from a 28. He mainly quail hunted with it. Also have a 30" FC barrel he gave me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Unbelievable.

You CAN shoot steel through THAT barrel AND pretty much any aftermarket choke mechanic can thread that barrel for choke tubes.

For $200, you should stop being poor and buy another barrel.

I bought a replacement barrel with screw in chokes for my 1100 years ago and still consider it some of the best money I ever spent on firearms.
    An older 1100 in good shape is a sweet shooting, smooth cycling shotgun. I bought a SBE3 a few years ago and gave the 1100 to my son. Dang I miss that gun.