Thread: old man eyes

Default old man eyes

haven't deer hunted much in last 8-9 years until this year. glad to be back at it. Used to bow hunt but put it down too. After I killed a few deer this year, I started shooting the bow again in the yard and actually sat with it a few times missing a small pig at 30 yds. Besides being out of practice, I need reading glasses now. my other short and long vision is good (lasik surgery 4 or 5 yrs ago). but i can focus on target at 15-50 yds easily but my pins are blurry w a haze glow around them. Are any of you others in this situation? is the answer a verifier, clarifier, both, or 30.06 and be good w letting it go? thanks in advance.

pic just bc it makes threads cooler
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Call the folks at hamskea archery and tell them your situation. let them recommend a peep for your eyes. It won’t be dirt cheap, but they make phenomenal products. Also a single pin slider sight will lessen the halo around your pins.

I too suffer from the OME. Bow hunting was and is my passion. Just about the time I was ready to hang up my bow due to the fuzzy pin issue, I won a cheap crossbow from a QDMA marketing contest. The crossbow fills my need to bow hunt and the scope solves my eyesight issue. Be prepared to take a good bit of BS from the purists.
    Kill big, kill often

bleep a peep

get the smallest pin they make and shoot stuff.

I know I am often the differing position, but you dont need to stop bow hunting. I am looking past the pin, anyway. a smaller diameter one (and fewer of them like wiz said) will help. Hell, i'd set a single pin at 20 yards and have at it.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bleep a peep

I know I am often the differing position, but you dont need to stop bow hunting. I am looking past the pin, anyway. a smaller diameter one (and fewer of them like wiz said) will help. Hell, i'd set a single pin at 20 yards and have at it.
    ive thought about this as well. kind of like old scopes that you cant adjust for distance. ie 3 inches high at 100. 6 inches low at 300. KISS

My answer was the EZV bowsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Beat me to it. Get rid of the peep and get a kisser button or a Bowmar nose button.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    This. I know some guys that did this for the same reason and they like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Beat me to it. Get rid of the peep and get a kisser button or a Bowmar nose button.
    I've used a kisser and a peep. started w just a kisser on first bow and probably killed more deer w better percentages then. of course I was younger and even more of a beast then than I am now...well except for the eyes

Verifier peep site. It’s a large peep with a magnified lens. Different strength based on your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bleep a peep

He probably wants advice from folks who actually hunt and kill stuff with their bows.

If he needs any info on complaining and general curmedgeonry I'm sure he'll PM you.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    He probably wants advice from folks who actually hunt and kill stuff with their bows.

If he needs any info on complaining and general curmedgeonry I'm sure he'll PM you.
    Dang Glenda. I’m sorry about yur auburn tigers losing but why so angry? Not that toofer doesn’t deserve it

Toofer’s punctuation and grammar are shot. Glenn is an Auburn grad. Auburn grads do not abide shit grammar or shit punctuation.

FAY
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Wal mart has several peep options as well. pRo tiP.

30-06...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I use a Verifier Peep by Speciality Archery. If you can see your target, this will clear up your pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    haven't deer hunted much in last 8-9 years until this year. glad to be back at it. Used to bow hunt but put it down too. After I killed a few deer this year, I started shooting the bow again in the yard and actually sat with it a few times missing a small pig at 30 yds. Besides being out of practice, I need reading glasses now. my other short and long vision is good (lasik surgery 4 or 5 yrs ago). but i can focus on target at 15-50 yds easily but my pins are blurry w a haze glow around them. Are any of you others in this situation? is the answer a verifier, clarifier, both, or 30.06 and be good w letting it go? thanks in advance.

pic just bc it makes threads cooler
    I'm in the same boat...it sucks. I was down to buying a crossbow or going back to shooting traditional instinctive last year. Not ready to make the crossbow move yet, so I went back to shooting a longbow instinctive. I have since gone to bifocal contacts, but I have not picked up the compound to see if they help solve the problem I was and you are having. Going back to traditional rekindled a smoldering fire, and since then I've been carving osage; I'm committing to killing something with a self-bow and rock for a while. That said, these bifocal contacts are pretty nifty, and I think that they would solve the fuzzy pin vs fuzzy target situation of aging eyes, so you might want to give them a try.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!