Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Worried about duck numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    How much have sea levels changed in the last 20 years?
    I don't know but ask anyone living on the water or managing coastal impoundments and they will tell you the tides are on the regular higher than ever before!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I cant really argue with Rabbitman. .
    Now I know the world is coming to an end.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I don't know but ask anyone living on the water or managing coastal impoundments and they will tell you the tides are on the regular higher than ever before!
    Its about 2" higher than it was a 100 years ago. Tides being gravity driven have been higher for certain but there is little research out there that correlates why as to lunar and solar reasoning or basin rising.

Weather trends due to a global warming cycle, hydro plants, grass eradication North to South, water quality issues, decreased access to highly desired foods, nesting habitat loss, development and in my opinion pesticides have lined themselves quite well against the Atlantic Flyway.

Now add lackadaisical or negligent management via the major states with the largest habitat holdings and well what do ya expect?
    Genesis 9;2

British Columbia Canada today. And with what I saw the last two days to the north of us I don’t buy the flyway shift

4C94B943-976A-461C-9EB7-B54377742621.jpg
    80-20 Genaration

Locally, I don’t see nearly as many. I live on a small “lake” and used to regularly see birds coming to roost every afternoon. Rarely see birds anymore. Still have plenty of freakin geese. Just got back from Arkansas a couple weeks back and we saw really good numbers. Seems eastern flyway just isn’t what it used to be.

Pressure period
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Pressure period
    For SC yes I agree.
    Go Tigers!!!

The Great Lakes (and most of the Midwest) are the new "wintering grounds" for many waterfowl. No snow, no ice and plenty of food....why fly further South? If you want ducks, you have to go to them......now you have to go further.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    British Columbia Canada today. And with what I saw the last two days to the north of us I don’t buy the flyway shift

4C94B943-976A-461C-9EB7-B54377742621.jpg
    That place should have been buried with snow by mid November at the latest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if its on the BC Coast..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I Killed many of my ducks on ice holes in farm ponds as a kid here in SC. Outside of a few isolated occurrences, think about how long it's been since ice formed and stayed around all winter here in SC. Fighting ice was once a constant battle that now seems like a fond memory....
    Last edited by BRR; 01-02-2020 at 11:01 AM.

I saw this post today on IG.

This duck is heading back North now. No matter how hard we try "man" will never completely figure out and control "nature"......for that I am very thankful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B60gyW3l..._web_copy_link

billbyershunterclub
    This is BF12, an adult female captured and radiomarked at the Byers Farm on 5Nov2019. This unit was recovered from a hunter in spring 2019. The unit was damaged, but repairable and functional. She stayed around the Byers farm until sunrise on 12Nov, when she moved to the Stuttgart area. She remained in that area thru midmorning on 23Nov. She then moved to the McGehee-Tutwiler area where she remained until midmorning on 11Dec. She then moved 195 miles NE to the Kenton, TN area for 4 days. Her next stop was 3 days in the Sikeston, MO area. At sunrise on 18Dec she moved another 140 miles NE to the Princeton, IN area. 3 days later she was again on the move moving W to the Mount Vernon, IL area. She was in-flight northbound from there when she checked in on 26Dec.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Well...haven’t hunted since Dec.13, but I decided to go sit quietly without decoys and without calling this am to try to fool some of the few remaining stale birds....and was kicking myself for not having my video cam running. I got freaking dive bombed and swarmed by nonstop droves of Canadas, Mallards, and Widgeon. Here’s what I know...I can not figure out what the #%*! ducks are going to do nor when they will do it. Something else I was reminded of this am...when you are where they want to be, just shut the hell up, stay still, and pick your shots. One of the Widgeon drakes had him a serious case of green-vent, and he has become my bait to catch the raccoon that I’ve been feeding pretty good since dove season...he will become a hat soon. Anyway, thanks for some good discussion. Despite the surprise arrival of a pile of ducks here overnight for no apparent reason whatsoever, the overall numbers still seem lower...but it’s probably just variations I’ll never figure out.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 01-03-2020 at 11:27 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I saw this post today on IG.

This duck is heading back North now. No matter how hard we try "man" will never completely figure out and control "nature"......for that I am very thankful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B60gyW3l..._web_copy_link

billbyershunterclub
    This is BF12, an adult female captured and radiomarked at the Byers Farm on 5Nov2019. This unit was recovered from a hunter in spring 2019. The unit was damaged, but repairable and functional. She stayed around the Byers farm until sunrise on 12Nov, when she moved to the Stuttgart area. She remained in that area thru midmorning on 23Nov. She then moved to the McGehee-Tutwiler area where she remained until midmorning on 11Dec. She then moved 195 miles NE to the Kenton, TN area for 4 days. Her next stop was 3 days in the Sikeston, MO area. At sunrise on 18Dec she moved another 140 miles NE to the Princeton, IN area. 3 days later she was again on the move moving W to the Mount Vernon, IL area. She was in-flight northbound from there when she checked in on 26Dec.

Funny to me she left the Stuttgart area mid morning on opening day.

Our paths almost crossed. Definitely birds heading north from what I encountered in IL last week. Killed some but didn't hammer them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Well the temps are finally looking like they should in mid November....I’m guessing the federal youth day this year will be the first weekend we will actually get a good push of birds! Last year the third week of February one of my hikes was holding hundreds of grew heads and hadn’t seen a total of 100 all season. This year seen maybe 50 and only able to pull the trigger on half of those. Freakin pitiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This season has me worried about the future of duck hunting.ive noticed that our wood duck migration isn't no where it should be.i only saw 4 today where we should be holding at least 200.I counted only 25 shots today on the big water also.Looks like fishing season is going to start early this year for us.

78 degrees next Saturday. Same as this past Saturday.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.