Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dog hunting is a great tradition that needs help staying alive

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    With all the odd south winds we've had later in the season we had trouble with our dogs getting out and onto a neighbors land. We shut 2 hunts down made the call and they were more than happy to let us in. We ended up sending them out a schedule of our hunts (we only run dogs 12 times during the season) and it helped even more. Like has been stated common courtesy goes miles! Just don't want the call from any neighbor saying they are going to remove collars and shoot the dogs. That doesn't end well for anyone involved. Also, GPS has helped us being able to let the neighbors know we know exactly where to go get our dogs if they are on their property. Now if we could just get standers to shoot straight and catch the dogs. We had a group of guests this weekend that wouldn't attempt to get out of their damn lounge chairs to stop the dogs.
    Sounds like youre doing it right, cudos!

I had a guy drop off a pack on a 13 acre cutover next to my house on Thanksgiving day. I caught one of them in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I had a guy drop off a pack on a 13 acre cutover next to my house on Thanksgiving day. I caught one of them in my yard.
    What happened to the rest of your post where you said you cut the mans collar off?

When I logged in for the very first time 17 years ago I remember the end dog driving threads.... 17 years later much hasn't changed except technology. Same arguments, just years later. That damn CPIPER would get so pissed that I actually believe he would lose sleep.
    Last edited by KRT; 12-31-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

What happened to the rest of your post where you said you cut the mans collar off?
    hah.

I said I held the dog by her collar until it beeped, then let her go. She beelined back to the road. I have no clue how that would work. How does a beep tell a dog what direction to go?

Tone broke. When she heard the beep she knew to get moving or you would have seen fire fly out of her toe nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    [url]https://youtu.be/ELhnVMt8594[url]
    “If you want to dog drive do it on the edge of an effing cliff.”

Hahahaha

So you didn’t know what holding that “Garmin” collar til it beeped would do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you didn’t know what holding that “Garmin” collar til it beeped would do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So what exactly did wob do that was so wrong?

hah.

I said I held the dog by her collar until it beeped, then let her go. She beelined back to the road. I have no clue how that would work. How does a beep tell a dog what direction to go?
    If it helps, I train my beagles (rabbit dogs, not deer dogs) to come to the sound of the tone. If I’m away from where they were turned out I will holler to let them them know where I am while toning them and they will come to me. If no hollering they’ll *generally return to where they were turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I was just wondering why he felt the need to delete and reword the original post. The renegade hunters were in the wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is something that protects the hunters when a collar is tampered with.

Also I thought it showed when you edited a post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Also I thought it showed when you edited a post?
    I edited a post, then deleted it. Then I retyped a shortened version.

I held the dog by her collar in my yard. I've never seen one like that*, so I was looking at it and saw it was Garmin. Then it beeped, she got antsy, and I let her go. I'm not keen on strange dogs in my yard, but I wasn't concerned about her fighting my dog or killing my chickens or anything. I would never punish a deer dog for having a shitty owner.

*I thought they were just mapping collars, not correction collars.
    Last edited by wob; 12-31-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Not a thing.

I held the dog by her collar in my yard. I've never seen one like that*, so I was looking at it and saw it was Garmin. Then it beeped, she got antsy, and I let her go. I'm not keen on strange dogs in my yard, but I wasn't concerned about her fighting my dog or killing my chickens or anything. I would never punish a deer dog for having a shitty owner.

*I thought they were just mapping collars, not correction collars.
    You can get mapping only versions for competition hunting (coon), but hunting collars have tracking, tone, momentary and continuous stimulation modes.

And another feature that it sounds like deer dog men could take advantage of is “invisible fence” mode. You can set up a perimeter that will initiate a correction if the dog gets near it. Admittedly deer dogs may well blow thru it pretty quickly rendering basically ineffective. Another drawback would be the dog getting the correction and stopping past the boundary then not wanting to cross back over to where it belongs. In fact, the latter would be a good argument for dog men NOT to use that feature. I don’t know, just kinda thinking out loud here....

How bout a real fence? They’re really good at stopping stuff.

Pretty sure PBiz’s club has fences.

But to tie this back to the thread about the dude bitching because the loggers didn’t get his “permission” to do their job.....maybe the landowner is cool with leading them the land, but NOT cool with fences being put up? There’s always more than meets the eye.....