Thread: Building 1000 yard range

Default Building 1000 yard range

We have a 1000 flat stretch and are talking about building a range. Any advice/pointers? Obviously we will build a large earthen back stop. Is there a need for intermediate backstops? My thought is that the rounds will die when they strike earth prior to getting there but that may be naive. Input welcome. Thanks
    Carolina Counsel

Signage. Signage. Signage. You never know when some moron from a government agency will decide to trespass on you...

What is width and depth of backstop

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    What is width and depth of backstop
    Don’t know yet. Suggestions welcome.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Signage. Signage. Signage. You never know when some moron from a government agency will decide to trespass on you...
    Yep. Don’t know about your selected area, but if there are any shooting lanes/roads that intersect, you’ll want to block those off.

The height of your intermediate target frames will need to vary depending on distance. The closer ones need to be higher so that bullets passing through them will impact the backstop. Letting bullets hit the ground isn't a really a great solution because they can ricochet wildly and go over or around your backstop. One stray bullet can change your life.

Bullets don’t die when they hit the dirt shot at a low angle. Best setup is shooting into a hill if possible, if not you need a 20 ft berm and a big impact area behind it. The NRA is a valuable resource for range layout.
    A friend that owns a range in SENC is in a legal tussle right now because one of his patrons sent a round over a berm into a house about a 3/4 of a mile away. No one was hurt but now he’s on the radar. Local gubment had pretty much looked the other way on zoning, permits etc, but now he’s on their radar and they have to pay attention to a handful of malcontents that don’t like the noise, scary guns etc. Potential shitstorm.
    Last edited by FLS; 12-30-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be more complicated than I anticipated. Have access to equipment and labor, just need to come up with good design.

FLS- forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "big impact area behind" the berm?
    Carolina Counsel

Impact Area behind the berm, so if someone puts one over it wont kill anyone or damage anything. Shit happens.
    There is a reason most clubs won’t turn you loose on their long range bays without a test or a class.
    It doesn’t have to be complicated you just have to know what’s well beyond your target berms and control who is shooting.
    We live in a litigious society. You would not believe the absolute bullshit people claimed at a public hearing. Insane made up shit from a handful of his neighbors. Cartel training ground, North Koreans, etc....
    Last edited by FLS; 12-30-2019 at 10:26 AM.

In addition to the solid advice from FLS you my consider elevating the shooting platform.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Impact Area behind the berm, so if someone puts one over it wont kill anyone or damage anything. Shit happens.
    There is a reason most clubs won’t turn you loose on their long range bays without a test or a class.
    It doesn’t have to be complicated you just have to know what’s well beyond your target berms and control who is shooting.
    We live in a litigious society. You would not believe the absolute bullshit people claimed at a public hearing. Insane made up shit from a handful of his neighbors. Cartel training ground, North Koreans, etc....
    I'll add to this. We have rules that bullets must impact the berm. We still have Rambo type shooters that want to spray the bullets all over the ground. They are out the door when that happens. We do not have a problem with neighbors and we want it to stay that way.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I'll add to this. We have rules that bullets must impact the berm. We still have Rambo type shooters that want to spray the bullets all over the ground. They are out the door when that happens. We do not have a problem with neighbors and we want it to stay that way.
    To bounce one out of mid Carolina, you gotta be trying......y'all have the highest berms in the state for sure....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    To bounce one out of mid Carolina, you gotta be trying......y'all have the highest berms in the state for sure....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Little story here....recently Rambo and his guests showed up to shoot. They first set their targets too low so bullets didn't impact the berm. That was corrected and folks went about their ways. Shortly all hell broke lose over in the bay Rambo was in. Sounded like automatic fire going on so many shots were going. The CRO went to check. Rambo and his buddies had bullets hitting everywhere. Last count 48 had hit the ground before the berm. The CRO asked Rambo to dig the bullet out of the dirt. Couldn't be found. CRO asked Rambo where he thought the bullet went and Rambo had no clue. THEN one of Rambo's buddies went to unload a pump shotgun and had it pointed right at another buddy as he shucked the shells out. Rambo and his guests were asked to leave. Other range rules were ignored for the shooters' convenience but too much to go into. It is amazing what folks can do.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

On another note, one lady was bitching about rounds from our range hitting the side of her trailer. No where close to the range. Lexington County Sheriff went to investigate and sure enough what appeared to be bullet holes were in her trailer. Those holes were in the opposite side of her trailer from our club. Nothing from us.

People can tear up an anvil. They’ve shot barricades, walls, anything that they can stick a ShootNC target on. We had military Blazer we used for the 3 gun and pistol matches parked in a bay that we only used for matches. Local Rambos shot the shit out of it. They were banned from range for life, but the damage was done. We finally had to paint NO SHOOT on anything we didn’t want shot. If I ever saw a thigh holster, fingerless gloves, sheepdog hat or an AK, I expected trouble.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Last I heard they had a 1000 yd and a 1 mile range at the Clinton House. Go shoot there and spy out the layout.

http://www.clintonhouse.com/shooting-ranges/

unlimited members only (guest rate 25 dollars per two hours unlimited access) time slots must booked in 2 hour increments starting at 9 am (9-11) (11-1) (1-3) (3-5) THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE 1000 YARD RANGE

One mile day all is welcome $50 dollar member $75 dollar non member. A ro must be on site and we schedule the days for one mile days (on these days a 338 or less is allowed)

*Only 300 win mag and below. No 338 or 50 cal.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-14-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Thanks for updated info. I was at CH last week- wish I had known about the range.
    Carolina Counsel

If you want to get on the 1000 at CH, just let me know. I know all about it, heck I built it....