Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 2015 Chevy 1500 Lifter Question

Default Used 2015 Chevy 1500 Lifter Question

Am looking at buying a used truck and have found a 2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab w/EcoTec3 5.3L V8.

Carfax shows service at 66,065 miles where the lifters were replaced. Odometer shows 66,129.

Does the lifter/AFM issue cause any other damage that I should be looking for? What steps can be taken to prevent the damage from happening again (delete or remove the AFM)?
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    Am looking at buying a used truck and have found a 2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab w/EcoTec3 5.3L V8.

Carfax shows service at 66,065 miles where the lifters were replaced. Odometer shows 66,129.

Does the lifter/AFM issue cause any other damage that I should be looking for? What steps can be taken to prevent the damage from happening again (delete or remove the AFM)?
    I am no expert, but I believe it can wipe the cam (scar the lobe) and sometimes it doesn't do anything except have a lifter collapse or stick.
    Again, others on here know much more and I am sure Kevin can tell you what to look for or be concerned with.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-28-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks, I'll be interested to hear what KRT/those in the know can tell me.

Had KRT disable the AFM on my 2010 at 99K and I’m at 175. From what I understand the AFM cuts lubrication to lifters/lobs of particular cylinders therefore “shutting cylinders down” in the interest of increasing fuel mileage (mine gained +/- 1mph). To my knowledge that’s all that’s involved but KRT is your guy on these things. As always I would imagine there are risks when metal shavings are introduced into an engine by way of worn parts..
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I could write a book on GM and AFM.

2007-13 were the horror years. 2014-16 “almost” as bad, and 17 through current much better. I turned the AFM off on my wife’s 2018 Tahoe two days after we got it.

I don’t care what anyone says, killing oil supply to a mechanical moving component is not ideal. The only reason it’s done is the EPA and emissions. GM would not do it if they had their choice. They have found this theory helps them or allows them to meet federal mandated emission guidelines.

So to the original post. Sounds like to me they “fixed” the problem and dumped the truck. I would be hesitant about that purchase as there are many and I mean many other trucks for sale. Now what I would do is contact the repair facility listed on carfax and ask them what all was done. If the lifters had scaring on them that means the cam lobe does as well. If the cam was not replaced it was a bandaid repair enough for the owner to get out the truck and get another. If the lifters were just collapsed then the cam should be fine. It’s 23 hours to replace the cam so I bet they said replace lifters and let me get rid of it.

Again I could be wrong but will you ever know the truth? I would not buy it.

If I owned a GM with AFM, I’d have it turned off ASAP. If the damage has already started, turning it off is only buying time though.

I answer PM’s nightly, so PM your number if you want to pick my brain. I’m a mom and pop store, I don’t charge for advice.
    Last edited by KRT; 12-28-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Thank you for the information. I’ve reached out to the dealership that did the repairs and in the meantime I’ll keep looking.

My ‘97 K1500 died on the road last night so I am in a bit of a time crunch.

Know of any used 1500 series Chevy/GMC crew cabs (gas) for sale that would get the KRT seal of approval?!

Not to hijack this guys thread but what do you charge to delete that mess KRT? I need to come see you soon to have this done.
    Bone....

$150.00 and it’s no plug in device.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Kevin did this on my 2009 GMC and I now need to get my son's 2011 Silverado to him soon for the delete

Kevin did an AFM delete on my 2012 this week. I could tell a difference on the way home. My wife drove the truck today and even said it ran better and she knows nothing about trucks and cars. I drove an hour and a half to have Kevin do this for me and it was well worth my time. No one in my area would work on it, would just tell me once it starts burning oil I needed to sell it.

KRT hope to see you soon. I will call for appointment.
    Bone....

Default 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3ltr AFM Disabler?

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    $150.00 and it’s no plug in device.
    This thread has my attention because I have a 2014 1500 5.3 liter and I was entertaining the idea of getting a AFM disabler that plugs in under the dash. Any thoughts on that? ( I really do want to turn off the AFM and run full V8 100% of the time.)

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    Thank you for the information. I’ve reached out to the dealership that did the repairs and in the meantime I’ll keep looking.

My ‘97 K1500 died on the road last night so I am in a bit of a time crunch.

Know of any used 1500 series Chevy/GMC crew cabs (gas) for sale that would get the KRT seal of approval?!
    I saw where Big O dodge in Greenville has a 1500 high country for sell on their used lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jedmonston2005 View Post
    This thread has my attention because I have a 2014 1500 5.3 liter and I was entertaining the idea of getting a AFM disabler that plugs in under the dash. Any thoughts on that? ( I really do want to turn off the AFM and run full V8 100% of the time.)
    Why not just take it Kevin at A2Z?
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

If you delete it off a new truck doesn’t it affect the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    If you delete it off a new truck doesn’t it affect the warranty?
    to me, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t......dealer should be able to tell it’s been disabled, even if you turn it back on before service....I felt lucky to get 220k on my 08....but I turned that junk off in my 18 a week after I had it....changed some shift points, idle, and tire size with the device....makes it drive and sound like a v8 should

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    to me, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t......dealer should be able to tell it’s been disabled, even if you turn it back on before service....I felt lucky to get 220k on my 08....but I turned that junk off in my 18 a week after I had it....changed some shift points, idle, and tire size with the device....makes it drive and sound like a v8 should
    We just got the wife a new Tahoe two months ago. I have to decide to do it or not

My tuning leaves no foot print. Dealer can’t tell it’s been disabled unless they go drive it with scan tool and see if it’s cutting back cyls.

I’ve turned my wife’s off 2 days after we got her 2018 Tahoe. It’s been to the dealer 3 times for a rough idle/bump at idle when warm. They never once noticed AFM was disabled because there is no foot print left during the tune.

How many times is the AFM dead horse going to beat? Don’t turn it off and role the dice at 70k plus miles if the lifters fail or not.

I think the range device just stops the cluster from switching to V4 to V8 personally. It’s plugged in through the OBD port so you can’t convince me that’s shutting down the solenoid pack but you can convince me it’s stopping the V8 to toggle to V4 in the cluster to elude you it’s disabled. Again my opinion

You can always turn the AFM back on.
    Last edited by KRT; 12-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

As far as my wife’s rough idle.

First time they updated PCM. Mind you AFM is off and tuned.
    2nd time they replaced engine mounts

3rd time they replaced injectors and that fixed it. It now has 30k miles. That rough idle/bump you feel is not normal. I’ve changed oil on many 16 and newer and some I feel what I felt on my wife’s.
    Last edited by KRT; 12-29-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by HERRINGBONE View Post
    KRT hope to see you soon. I will call for appointment.
    Look forward to seeing you again Bone.... turn that crap off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
    Kevin did an AFM delete on my 2012 this week. I could tell a difference on the way home. My wife drove the truck today and even said it ran better and she knows nothing about trucks and cars. I drove an hour and a half to have Kevin do this for me and it was well worth my time. No one in my area would work on it, would just tell me once it starts burning oil I needed to sell it.
    Glad it helped and a honest testimony. Thank you for the business.

For the record I think gooseaholic passed on the truck that had lifters replaced at 65k miles.
    More fuel = more boost!!