Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low country lease per acre going rate

Default Low country lease per acre going rate

What's everyone paying per acre...well at least trying to get an average. We got1300 acres that was mixed age pine and hardwood. In 3 years its become 650 acres of 15 + years pines and the rest clear cut....most cuts have happened during hunting seasons...we pay around 22$ acre and it goes up 7% annually. We felt it was hi but worth it when we signed the lease and had a verbal we wouldn't be clear cut every year. Feel were getting the shaft now. What's yalls take? thx

Sounds like the landowner is a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Sounds like the landowner is a douche.
    You sir are correct...among other things

Those clear cuts will be fire when they grow up head high on a deer, patience.
    Our club has been assaulted every season since we got it too. It almost seems intentional, and every time is worse.
    Just got to remember- loggin pays for the land. Without it we would all be huntin WMA

Your lease money to a forest landowner ain't shit, his timber resources on the other-hand are everything!
    You're in SC so expect that the timber will be harvested on a regular schedule from a large piece of property.
    If you expect there to be otherwise, put it in the executed lease agreement, not a verbal.

As and agent of landowners, I really get sick of hearing the bellyaching such as this.....
    We rolled up to a client property yesterday with tree planters to plant a measly 6 acres and some jackwagon had the balls to tell us we're not planting it today!
    Well, he came back over after he called the landowner and gave us permission to proceed!.....HAHA

Seriously, if you expect it, put it in the lease otherwise move on elsewhere or come to grips with reality!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

$22 dollars an acre is way too high, we pay 10 for one tract and 12 for another allendale and barnwell county

I need to go up on my property. I thought $7.50 was the going rate......and I'm below that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They were planting pines yesterday on our lease. First time I've seen it done, at least like this. Tracked pusher clearing the way, a Messican (or two) in a trailer behind it planting as it cut furrows. It was rough ground and he was getting bounced around pretty good. Planted right over two of our secondary roads.
    Resized_20191226_135723.jpg

Our land owner has been cutting 30-40 acres a year off a 730 acre tract that has maybe 600 acres of pines on it. We're doing the mental math on when she will run out of timber that is cuttable. Age rotation is going to be off. At some point, we think all the pines will be less than 12 years or so if she keeps going. And they cut it all when they cut - pines and hardwoods. Except some very narrow low spots.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

$22/acre is high but if you agreed to it and a 7% increase then, that’s on you. CD is about right, $7.50-$12 seems to be close depending on size and type. BH nailed it too, cutting isn’t always a bad thing, that thick cover holds deer. If you have food, water and cover then populations thrive. Cali’s right though too, we might bitch about it but timber companies don’t make squat off hunting leases, it’s just a secondary source of income for them while the crop grows to harvest. If you’re not happy, find another lease. It may be better and cheaper but that’s not a guarantee.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

People in the timber business actually trying to make a living off their timber.

I'm shocked, I tell ya. Shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtemp71 View Post
    $22 dollars an acre is way too high, we pay 10 for one tract and 12 for another allendale and barnwell county
    Can you show me where these said tracts are on a tax map?
    More fuel = more boost!!

They're almost as bad as cat and horse doctors.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

How much notice do most timber folks let the leaseholders have prior to cutting?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    How much notice do most timber folks let the leaseholders have prior to cutting?
    Usually it’s when the logging trucks roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Usually it’s when the logging trucks roll in.
    My experience also. Wonder why that is?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    They're almost as bad as cat and horse doctors.
    Key word is almost.

Let's not even bring up dentist and chiropractors.

You leave my back cracker out of this.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Your lease money to a forest landowner ain't shit, his timber resources on the other-hand are everything!
    You're in SC so expect that the timber will be harvested on a regular schedule from a large piece of property.
    If you expect there to be otherwise, put it in the executed lease agreement, not a verbal.

As and agent of landowners, I really get sick of hearing the bellyaching such as this....
    This,
    Our lease money may help toward their property tax, if even that.
    I am just thankful to get a place and I know there are others that would snake it from you in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    My experience also. Wonder why that is?
    I communicate with the leaseholders the best I can. But I work for the landowner, not the leaseholder.

That said, I too am a leaseholder. I try and treat everyone like I want to be treated. A heads up to some deer hunters mid season when a logging crew is scheduled to move onto a tract goes a long way.

I had a guy cuss me once because I took his stand down, hid it for him and let him know where it was so that it wouldn’t be damaged in the process. The last time I ever do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Our group has been leasing the same land for 40 years. We pay the taxes on the land. Its owned by a timber outfit. They try and give us a heads up before cutting but that doesnt always happen.