Thread: Cut the Cord

Default Cut the Cord

Cut off Direct TV today. I have Hulu Live and Disney Plus covering all of our viewing needs as of now. Smart TVs through out most of the house made it easy. However there are a few that are not "smart". I received a Firetv Stick 4K for Christmas. Seems that will get Hulu and Disney on my dumb TVs. And I can take it with me out of town.
    Question... is there a better option for these plug in devices?

Sling tv is about the best for sports if not on local channels they the air

Get a Roku - I run one even on my smart TV- its much faster and easier to operate
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

going to youtube tv when my dish contract expires. Will probably run off of roku.

I think YouTube is the best all around. To me it has the best user interface and all the local and sports channels.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 12-26-2019 at 08:50 PM.

I hated Sling, we have YouTube TV now for the last year and we love it. We don’t watch much tv but it has sports and locals and plenty of other channels.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Roku is the way to go. YouTubeTV works great for sports and all the local stuff we could want (and then some)

I Had directv for 17 Years and switched to youtubetv in August. It’s been great
    Last edited by MDman; 12-26-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

roko + youtubetv is the winner

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    roko + youtubetv is the winner
    Listen to these people. What we did 5 months ago. And went with ConsumerCellular saved us enough a year to buy another Ice Machine and some. Just saying
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Had Sling for a couple years and finally got tired of it always having issues. Made the switch to YouTube TV about 6 months ago and couldn’t be happier, get all the sports channels in basic package too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

I'm ignorant to all this but interested. So this is all wireless correct? Who is that with? Do you use a "better" router to help with speed etc?

any wifi router will work fine. I would suggest 20mb download speed minium from your internet provider.

We cut the cable also. We have a couple of the smart TVs, and fire stick for the oldest TV. We still have a dish at our river camp, because there is no option for internet there, and there isn't a good enough cell signal to consider that option either. With that service, we are able to sign in to showtime, HBO, and Starz with our internet TV. We had the internet option working for a couple months, before we canceled the satellite, so we had time to figure out if we would like it. Once we figured out that we could get everything we wanted and needed, it was easy to cancel the $130 a month satellite.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Got rid of spectrum tv
    Kept the internet
    Got hulu, Disney+, and a firestick
    So far so good especially when saving about $80 a month.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have been wanting to cancel Directv and try something like this but do not have internet service and have been told it will not be in my area anytime soon. How much streaming would I be able to do off a hot spot? Is there another device I could use to stream off of?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

If I watched TV I'd probably do something along those lines. I'm with WC Tel (rural co-op) and I got 500mb for $60 a month so speed wouldn't be a prob. But I don't do enough TV to care. I can watch Youtube movies (free with ads) or pay a few bucks to watch others, along with videos on Utah Gun Exchange or anything else online or streaming on my TV now.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
    I have been wanting to cancel Directv and try something like this but do not have internet service and have been told it will not be in my area anytime soon. How much streaming would I be able to do off a hot spot? Is there another device I could use to stream off of?
    Yep. Get you a GM Product and stream away with the wifi built in. 15 bucks a month UNLIMITED. Ran the whole house until we got fiber.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"