Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first bow - which route to go

I have a Matthews creed xs ready to go I would sell for $600 .

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    As a rookie I think I’d steer away from an online build. Just my 2 cents. I certainly don’t know enough to do that. If you want a custom bow go to a shop. Otherwise the bear RTH’s and others like it are good to go with a few minor and simple adjustments.
    I hear what your saying but I found that Bear 320 package at this site and with upgrading the sight, adding a peep site, hard case, arrows fletched it was only $40more than the RTH package at bass pro. Might be the way to go.

thanks that looks good, but very far away.

The Bears are good bows but I would also look at Missions and the Hoyt Powermax for budget bows. I'm not a huge fan of package deals because you'll end up upgrading most of the stuff before long anyways. Pick a good Truglo or Blackgold sight that you will be able to see at dusk dark unlike the package deal sights. Keep it simple with a whisker biscuit rest and a simple short dampening stabilizer like a limb saver. 1/4" or 3/8" G5 meta peep or the like and a d loop and you're set. Also don't buy into the large cut mechanical broad heads that a lot of people are going to recommend you, get you some 50 or 100 grain brass inserts off lancaster archery and screw in a good fixed blade (slick trick, magnus, etc). Most importantly go to reputable pro shop (not bass pro) that will help you get fitted properly and get everything squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Because I just love pissing money away I buy a new compound every year, and have done so for 2 decades. The set up and tuning is fun to me. So if I can offer any advice feel free to ask.
    Are you getting an RX4 this year? I remember reading you had some issues with your RX3.

Default first bow - which route to go

Well that settles it.

In SC the average shot is 15-20 yards. All modern compound bows will do the job if you do ours.

If you plan to shoot a bunch, you find what the back wall is like, the valley, the different grips, the balance, recoil, etc.

If you want a bow to go kill stuff in SC there are few bad choices if you want to jump into 3D or field archery there is a difference.

Drawing on a SC deer muching onacorns is different than one eating corn. In SC the bow is only a small part of the equation. Shooting speed goats or ugly mule deer speed comes in questions.

In SC you can shoot heavy tackle to crush a shoulder bone.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 12-26-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    The Bears are good bows but I would also look at Missions and the Hoyt Powermax for budget bows. I'm not a huge fan of package deals because you'll end up upgrading most of the stuff before long anyways. Pick a good Truglo or Blackgold sight that you will be able to see at dusk dark unlike the package deal sights. Keep it simple with a whisker biscuit rest and a simple short dampening stabilizer like a limb saver. 1/4" or 3/8" G5 meta peep or the like and a d loop and you're set. Also don't buy into the large cut mechanical broad heads that a lot of people are going to recommend you, get you some 50 or 100 grain brass inserts off lancaster archery and screw in a good fixed blade (slick trick, magnus, etc). Most importantly go to reputable pro shop (not bass pro) that will help you get fitted properly and get everything squared away.
    Exactly why I don’t want a “RTH” package, most are good deals but have cheap accessories. Not that I know the difference but I’m sure after practicing I will realize that I shouldn’t have skimped on certain things. I Only liked that one website because they had upgraded options, or I could opt out and buy whatever accessory I wanted if it wasn’t one of their choices.
    They seems to have some decent sights so if I buy the bow and a sight, they will sight it in on paper and I could buy the rest of the accessories after looking at other options and not have to take the bow into a shop.
    Last edited by duckz; 12-26-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Are you getting an RX4 this year? I remember reading you had some issues with your RX3.
    VXR 31 or RevoltX. That rx3 was nothing but problems. Come to find out hoyt is outsourcing all carbon risers to China, and the QC just isn’t there. I believe they started selling like crazy and Hoyt had to scramble to employ more carbon plants to pump out risers because some risers are fine, and some are not fully in spec. My rx3 had numerous issues from the riser not sitting flush where it meets the aluminum limb pockets. Mine was a well documented turd and Hoyt pretty much told me to shove it. I sent them pics last March and they accused me of leaving it in a hot car. I lost it. It sucks because Hoyt aluminum bows are amazing.

I’ve shot all the major players 2020 offerings. I’m a heavy lean on the RevoltX but the VXR is growing on me. Gonna wait til after ATA to make the call.

VXR 31 or RevoltX. That rx3 was nothing but problems. Come to find out hoyt is outsourcing all carbon risers to China, and the QC just isn’t there. I believe they started selling like crazy and Hoyt had to scramble to employ more carbon plants to pump out risers because some risers are fine, and some are not fully in spec. My rx3 had numerous issues from the riser not sitting flush where it meets the aluminum limb pockets. Mine was a well documented turd and Hoyt pretty much told me to shove it. I sent them pics last March and they accused me of leaving it in a hot car. I lost it. It sucks because Hoyt aluminum bows are amazing.

I’ve shot all the major players 2020 offerings. I’m a heavy lean on the RevoltX but the VXR is growing on me. Gonna wait til after ATA to make the call.
    I wanted to like the RX4 but it just didn't do much for me, the fit and finish was piss poor compared to Mathews and Prime. Unfortunately no one carries Bowtechs around here so I haven't shot that one. I ended up ordering a grey riser with black limbs VXR 31.5 a few weeks back. Never been a big Mathews guy but that one impressed me.

I wanted to like the RX4 but it just didn't do much for me, the fit and finish was piss poor compared to Mathews and Prime. Unfortunately no one carries Bowtechs around here so I haven't shot that one. I ended up ordering a grey riser with black limbs VXR 31.5 a few weeks back. Never been a big Mathews guy but that one impressed me.
    Hoyt is selling a shit ton of bows because they are paying the right dudes to promote their brand (cam, dud, rogan, Waddell, etc), not because they are making the best bows right now. That vxr is dang slick. I don’t understand how they are making bows so dead in the hand, but they are hitting grand slams. The CC cams are a touch stiff on the front end for my liking, but that could be easily forgotten after 100 shots. The new Mathews grip is very repeatable and comfortable. I wish the ata was 33”, but I know they wanted to keep the traverse for another season. Prime finally caught my attention this year with rotating mod cams. Being a guy that buys and sells every year it’s a nightmare trying to sell a bow with draw specific cams. Here locally the Mathews is priced a $150 lower than the revolt. I told my dealer if he can’t get those numbers closer together it’ll be an easy decision just on principle.

Hoyt is selling a shit ton of bows because they are paying the right dudes to promote their brand (cam, dud, rogan, Waddell, etc), not because they are making the best bows right now. That vxr is dang slick. I don’t understand how they are making bows so dead in the hand, but they are hitting grand slams. The CC cams are a touch stiff on the front end for my liking, but that could be easily forgotten after 100 shots. The new Mathews grip is very repeatable and comfortable. I wish the ata was 33”, but I know they wanted to keep the traverse for another season. Prime finally caught my attention this year with rotating mod cams. Being a guy that buys and sells every year it’s a nightmare trying to sell a bow with draw specific cams. Here locally the Mathews is priced a $150 lower than the revolt. I told my dealer if he can’t get those numbers closer together it’ll be an easy decision just on principle.
    I noticed the same thing about the vxr draw cycle, it felt like the weight was stacked more towards the front of the draw cycle which I'm sure I'll get used to. The complete lack of vibration at the shot and how quiet it was is what impressed me. The bare bow with a 400 grain arrow was noticeably quieter than my Prime logic with string whiskers and a 600+ grain arrow so I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles some heavy arrows. Both the aluminum and carbon Hoyt for this year sounded like a 22 rifle going off after shooting the VXR. The rotating mods on the new Primes are going to be a game changer for them I just wish they had better resale value, maybe that will change now that they are starting to gain some more popularity. I'll be holding on to my current Prime as a backup/target bow since the resale value just isn't there right now.

If you’re looking for something affordable to start with look for that pse dream season in the trading post and have new strings installed.