Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first bow - which route to go

Default first bow - which route to go

This will be my first bow. I figured now was the time to start looking since there might be some decent deals out there. But I don't know what to look for. I have 8 months until season so no matter what, I will have plenty of time to practice and feel comfortable with whatever I get.

I am not set on the price, but I think I would like to stay around $500 for this setup. I have seen some specials online for PSE, Diamond and Bear bows for $400. With my little knowledge of bows would you say its better to go ahead and get on of those "package" bows or should I be looking online for a used bow that might have been a nicer bow a few years ago ? Would a $400 new bow have better technology than a used $400 bow ?
    I could care less if it is new or used, but my only concern when looking at used bows are, I have no idea what to look for or ask ! How do you judge the strings in a picture, or the sights?
    If I do buy used, should I automatically change the strings ? I measured and I should have a 28" draw length, so as long as I find a bow that is already set to 28" im good ?
    Last edited by duckz; 12-26-2019 at 10:04 AM.

If you buy used, check the cable and strings. I have 2 PSEs and loved them. However, the lead ends on the cable can break and you could get injured or worse. Been to 2 different archery shops, and nobody will touch them. Just saying.

Buy a better used bow off of archerytalk or something. You’ll enjoy it more

Buy used. Budget in new cables and string from day one and you will be fine.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    Buy a better used bow off of archerytalk or something. You’ll enjoy it more
    ^^ Agree ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

go to an archery shop and shoot a bunch of different bows, get measured proper then start looking. Archerytalk is a good place to start looking but I'm seeing alot on Armslist and craigslist too. Basically shoot a bunch of differnt ones then start looking for what you liked.

Watch your budget because the bow is just the beginning. You'll need a rest, sight, quiver, arrows, practice tips, broadheads, a target block, a release and if you don't already have them, stands, climbing sticks, safety harness, ozonics, leafy suit, etc. etc.

I've never owned a new bow.

As mentioned, figure out your draw length and buy a used set up from archerytalk classifieds. Something in the 50-60lb range. Don't get caught up in a specific brand.

I will check it out. When buying at a store I have heard they will set it to my draw and weight. When buying online would I have to take this into a shop and pay someone to set it or can I do that at home ?

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Buy used. Budget in new cables and string from day one and you will be fine.
    What would you budget for this and labor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    As mentioned, figure out your draw length and buy a used set up from archerytalk classifieds. Something in the 50-60lb range. Don't get caught up in a specific brand.
    I tried to go online but they want you to make 20 posts before you even look at their ads. I get it, kind of. but what am I going to post about ! Ha
    Last edited by duckz; 12-26-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I will check it out. When buying at a store I have heard they will set it to my draw and weight, would I have to take this into a shop and pay someone to set it or can I do that at home?
    Take it to a pro shop. They'll set the draw weight, draw length and rough tune it for you. Usually anywhere from $35-50 depending on the shop.

You can buy used and get some good deals if you know what you are looking for. However you won't get into a used bow for any less than that NEW Bear package and that is a dang good bow. One that will last you a long long time. You'll only need to upgrade if it explodes, which it won't, or if you just want to get a new bow. Stuff will be just as dead with that rig as it will with a $1500 rig.

Take it to a pro shop. They'll set the draw weight, draw length and rough tune it for you. Usually anywhere from $35-50 depending on the shop.

You can buy used and get some good deals if you know what you are looking for. However you won't get into a used bow for any less than that NEW Bear package and that is a dang good bow. One that will last you a long long time. You'll only need to upgrade if it explodes, which it won't, or if you just want to get a new bow. Stuff will be just as dead with that rig as it will with a $1500 rig.
    ok that is reasonable. What do you think about the Bear Species package ? Its $100 less, and like Palmetto Bug said, I will need arrows, block, release, etc. Is it worth saving the $100 or not ?

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/201...h-package.html
    Last edited by duckz; 12-26-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    ok that is reasonable. What do you think about the Bear Species package ? Its $100 less, and like Palmetto Bug said, I will need arrows, block, release, etc. Is it worth saving the $100 or not ?

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/201...h-package.html
    I don't think you can go wrong with either package. I'd upgrade the cable slide and peep regardless of which one you choose. Other than that I'd shoot it as it came and do work.

I just went through all this with a youth bow. Found a good deal on campfire.com on a bear.

This one is on there today. Thinking about buying it to shoot with my son.

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/35

The diamond affinity edge has good reviews for a beginner bow. A lot of sites say don’t buy expensive the first go around as it’s just the gateway to your next bow...which will be more custom which will come with a price tag. But don’t take my word for it. I’m not even a beginner yet. Just a researcher looking myself.

Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Bow Package, Mossy Oak Country, Right Hand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RGAPIYA..._40obEbP0J227V

I bought a Mission Switch for my 14 year old. Same concept as the Edge. It’s a good shooting little bow. Adjustable all the way out to 30” and up to 70 lbs. He’ll be able to shoot it until he quits growing and buys his own.

I’d suggest something like this for a beginner just because of the adjustability whether you’re still growing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Anyone ever buy from Huntersfriend.com ? I found they have a "build your own" package. I can put together the draw, weight, sights, arrows, fletching, case, stabilizer, etc. and they claim to have everything installed and paper tuned. If i go that route, i really wouldnt have to do anything but buy a target and let it rip right ? I like this because i can pick where i want to spend more money, if i like one type of sight over another or even the size of the peep.

https://www.huntersfriend.com/A8A-20...ow-system.html

As a rookie I think I’d steer away from an online build. Just my 2 cents. I certainly don’t know enough to do that. If you want a custom bow go to a shop. Otherwise the bear RTH’s and others like it are good to go with a few minor and simple adjustments.

Depending on where you live you can just drop by a pro shop to see what they have. They may have a used “premium bow” in your budget or a new less expensive bow. Since top bow companies have lost their minds on pricing, most shops now carry a mid range line - bear, mission, etc. Me personally, I can’t fathom buying a bow without putting my hands on it first. But it sounds like a lot of guys are going that route these days.

Don’t be loyal to a brand, even if your best friend swears “that’s the only bow made, bo”. Shoot as many as you can and go with your gut.

Of the big brands Hoyt has the worst customer service and Mathews has the best. Everyone else is somewhere between those 2. There are a few years of bowtech bows to avoid, everything from the reign series to now is good.

Tons of options to choose from, that’s for sure. Just take your time and shoot a good many before deciding.

Because I just love pissing money away I buy a new compound every year, and have done so for 2 decades. The set up and tuning is fun to me. So if I can offer any advice feel free to ask.

I just posted 2 for sale in the Trading Post