Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: murphy island

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    People daydream about having draw hunts as profound as Ghetto's.
    Ha. I was humbled a little bit this time, Ralphy, but I did scratch off a drab limit.

Can you post pic of green face paint hunt from 6-7 years ago

You mean 16 years ago?...haha

I can't keep up with time

Murphy was my draw hunt favorite 20 yrs ago!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Well how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they whacked the piss out of them
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    they whacked the piss out of them
    Mosquitoes?

Thanks for the feedback guys! All advice was very useful! We were very prepared for the hunt and the manager/techs did a great job accommodating the hunters. They helped with loading and unloading the boats and trying to fill you in on tactics and where they've been seeing birds in your designated area. Moving to where the birds want to be and starting off with a small decoy spread is recommended. The mud was not very bad so moving wasn't that bad especially if you had a decoy sled and the boat that you were given was nearby.

However there were very few birds on Murphy Island. Several mottleds, a few teal, and some spoonies. A pintail, mallard, gadwall, and widgeon here and there. The weather conditions weren't great. 50 degrees and no wind. Jerk string is a must. When glassing with binocs, there weren't many birds in the coots (almost nonexistent). With the little wind and little shooting, the few birds that were in the area, weren't moving. There is plenty of grass out there to hide in and if you have a marsh stool and/or dog marsh stand, there is no reason to go to a built blind, if there is one in your area (at least for someone in decent health). I am no expert on beneficial aquatic vegetation, invertebrates, moist soil management, etc. but there seemed to be little food.

So when it was all said and done, we came out with a couple birds (better than most SC hunts), the highest noted was the mottled duck that decoyed perfectly, and it was better than work! I believe the high blind had 4 shooters and came out with 10 birds consisting of teal, spoonies, and a gadwall. The rest of the experience made up for the lack of birds. Beautiful place with very nice employees and an awesome sunrise. Just fear waiting another 4 years and getting drawn for one of the best Category 1 WMAs and seeing very few birds (which can always happen in the state of SC).
    Last edited by southernbip; 01-03-2020 at 09:41 AM.